Indy 5 news 2018

Indy Jones

TheFirebird1 said:
rip-tombstone-md.png

Fare thee well, Indy 5, we hardly knew ye.
:gun: In all honesty, though, I'm still holding onto some hope for the film actually getting released. A man can dream, or at least try to.

Even if this spells the end of Ford's run on the character, Disney won't sit on those rights--they're worth too much. Indiana Jones will return. They didn't buy the distribution rights to future Indy films from Paramount for nothing.

A new film is the lynchpin. We won't likely see a lick of anything else Indy without a film for Disney to piggyback on, promotionally. Frankly, a new film starring Harrison wasn't likely to be the kind of revival that Disney wants out of the franchise. A fifth film with Harrison reads, to me, as an olive branch to the old guard of the series (Lucas/Spielberg/Ford/Marshall and Kennedy) before they get someone in the role that will bring new, younger fans in.

If a franchise can't grow it's fanbase, it's doomed. Indy has prettymuch been a (well-loved but) dead franchise since before KOTCS. New generations aren't invested in our Dr. Jones (if they even know who he is) and honestly new installments with an old man ain't gonna bring in the youngsters.

Now, before someone here over-reacts to my statements (*cough*), I'm not anti-Ford and I'm not pro-change-the-series. I don't want a hip new reinvention of Young Indy set in the modern day with music by Justin Bieber. I'm a realist, and a fan of the character. I want the character to survive and for the franchise to come back from obscurity (a cartoon series and new video games would be damn nice), and if getting a new face in the fedora will do that, then I'm open to it. If Disney got someone like Chris Pratt (I said it! Get your crucifixes!), then that gets fans of his to maybe be fans of Indiana Jones.

A big mistake of fandoms is an immense resistance to change. I don't know about you, but I don't want to hide in my house like a common troll keeping Indiana Jones to myself, stuck with only the same content and never getting anything new. When I see Back to the Future fans talking the same topics over and over and over, I cringe. It's a dead franchise.

I want to see Indy be mainstream again. I want to see kids come out of an Indy movie totally digging it, perhaps inspired to seek out some info about archaeology. For my customers/coworkers to be even aware of who/what Indy is. Indy needs to be relevant again. If we have to lose a fifth film with Harrison to get that, I can deal with it. I don't want this character to be locked to a club of 30 y.o.+ man-children. Let's get some fresh blood.

Last edited:

TheFirebird1

Indy Jones said:
Even if this spells the end of Ford's run on the character, Disney won't sit on those rights--they're worth too much. Indiana Jones will return. They didn't buy the distribution rights to future Indy films from Paramount for nothing.

A new film is the lynchpin. We won't likely see a lick of anything else Indy without a film for Disney to piggyback on, promotionally. Frankly, a new film starring Harrison wasn't likely to be the kind of revival that Disney wants out of the franchise. A fifth film with Harrison reads, to me, as an olive branch to the old guard of the series (Lucas/Spielberg/Ford/Marshall and Kennedy) before they get someone in the role that will bring new, younger fans in.

If a franchise can't grow it's fanbase, it's doomed. Indy has prettymuch been a (well-loved but) dead franchise since before KOTCS. New generations aren't invested in our Dr. Jones (if they even know who he is) and honestly new installments with an old man ain't gonna bring in
Now, before someone here over-reacts to my statements (*cough*), I'm not anti-Ford and I'm not pro-change-the-series. I don't want a hip new reinvention of Young Indy set in the modern day with music by Justin Bieber. I'm a realist, and a fan of the character. I want the character to survive and for the franchise to come back from obscurity (a cartoon series and new video games would be damn nice), and if getting a new face in the fedora will do that, then I'm open to it. If Disney got someone like Chris Pratt (I said it! Get your crucifixes!), then that gets fans of his to maybe be fans of Indiana Jones.

A big mistake of fandoms is an immense resistance to change. I don't know about you, but I don't want to hide in my house like a common troll keeping Indiana Jones to myself, stuck with only the same content and never getting anything new. When I see Back to the Future fans talking the same topics over and over and over, I cringe. It's a dead franchise.

I want to see Indy be mainstream again. I want to see kids come out of an Indy movie totally digging it, perhaps inspired to seek out some info about archaeology. For my customers/coworkers to be even aware of who/what Indy is. Indy needs to be relevant again. If we have to lose a fifth film with Harrison to get that, I can deal with it. I don't want this character to be locked to a club of 30+ man-children. Let's get some fresh blood.
I agree! I think Indy needs to be pitched to a new crowd at this point, but they should still try to keep the roots of the franchise intact. And even though I'm a bit of a Ford Fanatic (I'll be the first to admit it) I'd be fine with a recast, but with a caveat. I want Harrison to have at least one good sendoff, a last hurrah. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Indy Jones

TheFirebird1 said:
I agree! I think Indy needs to be pitched to a new crowd at this point, but they should still try to keep the roots of the franchise intact. And even though I'm a bit of a Ford Fanatic (I'll be the first to admit it) I'd be fine with a recast, but with a caveat. I want Harrison to have at least one good sendoff, a last hurrah. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

The ideal situation is, for me, for Indy 5 to open with the new guy in a previous adventure circa 1940 (think LC), an adventure that ties into the main movie set in present (1960s?) day. The next film can be all the new guy--this makes clear to the general masses that the new guy is telling new stories in the same continuity.

Now, I wouldn't want a restarted continuity. But if they did, as long as they kept the series' style, I'd live. If a new beginning kept the time period ('20s/'30s/'40s) and kept his outfit/theme music/Lucas-ian adventure vibe, then I'd have little to complain about.

Maybe even see adaptations of some of the comic/game/novel stories? I think Hollow Earth would make a *****in' flick.

TheFirebird1

Indy Jones said:
The ideal situation is, for me, for Indy 5 to open with the new guy in a previous adventure circa 1940 (think LC), an adventure that ties into the main movie set in present (1960s?) day. The next film can be all the new guy--this makes clear to the general masses that the new guy is telling new stories in the same continuity.

Now, I wouldn't want a restarted continuity. But if they did, as long as they kept the series' style, I'd live. If a new beginning kept the time period ('20s/'30s/'40s) and kept his outfit/theme music/Lucas-ian adventure vibe, then I'd have little to complain about.

Maybe even see adaptations of some of the comic/game/novel stories? I think Hollow Earth would make a *****in' flick.
I think at this moment, especially with the delays, they'll have to do something similar to LC. I had kind of hoped for a more Ford-oriented film for his finale without rehashing old tropes, but I think it's time to acknowledge the inevitable. The idea you have is pretty good--we've never seen much of Indy in the war years, so we could see how it affected him.
As for adaptations, I've always been a little wary of them. Book/comic/game adaptations are usually distilled and modified, and for a franchise like Indy, that could spell out some canonical disaster (especially seeing how screwed up the Expanded Adventures are at this moment.)

TheFirebird1

Welcome to the era of Indiana...Pratt?

Or will it be Indiana Ingruber?
hqdefault.jpg

In all honesty, though, I think the two could pull it off, but I'd much rather prefer Harrison for one last joyride (even if it was bookends). I doubt Disney will try to minimize him, especially since his presence in TFA brought them quite a bit of cash. If Indy 5 ever comes into fruition, I'm sure he'll play a role in it, no matter how minimal.

Indy Jones

TheFirebird1 said:
I think at this moment, especially with the delays, they'll have to do something similar to LC. I had kind of hoped for a more Ford-oriented film for his finale without rehashing old tropes, but I think it's time to acknowledge the inevitable. The idea you have is pretty good--we've never seen much of Indy in the war years, so we could see how it affected him.
As for adaptations, I've always been a little wary of them. Book/comic/game adaptations are usually distilled and modified, and for a franchise like Indy, that could spell out some canonical disaster (especially seeing how screwed up the Expanded Adventures are at this moment.)

Not necessarily, the way I see it, the film version of Hollow Earth, for example, would simply replace the canonicity of the novel version. If it was done right anyway, there'd be nothing about it would would overwrite any of the other stuff. Crystal Skull dipped its toes back into some of the past by bringing Marion back, but otherwise the films have always stood alone and the EU material works because of that. If the series started getting more serialized like the Craig Bond films, then yeah, things would get overwritten at a rapid rate.

Raiders90

Udvarnoky said:
Hey, chin up, at least the Ford Era went out on a high note. Don't know about you guys, but I think it's the crisp, filmic cinematography that keeps me coming back to CRYSTAL SKULL.

I actually didn't mind the cinematography. It was a different look but somehow it fit. The worst element of that film was the disjointed and rushed feel of the Jungle chase. I rewatched it recently for the first time in several years, and my girlfriend watched it for the first time ever. She was expecting it to be horrible and she actually enjoyed it and I found myself enjoying it a lot more than I used to. No film could ever live up to the first three films, but I would argue that KOTCS is a fun film. Not great, not horrible, but fun, enjoyable. Still, I would've liked one last Ford film to do a bit better.

Indy Jones

TheFirebird1 said:
Welcome to the era of Indiana...Pratt?

Or will it be Indiana Ingruber?
hqdefault.jpg

In all honesty, though, I think the two could pull it off, but I'd much rather prefer Harrison for one last joyride (even if it was bookends). I doubt Disney will try to minimize him, especially since his presence in TFA brought them quite a bit of cash. If Indy 5 ever comes into fruition, I'm sure he'll play a role in it, no matter how minimal.

The way I see it, it's win/win. For the Ghostbusters fans, the reboot did bring an influx of new merch in, and also freed-up the rights from Bill Murray so more could be done with the franchise. If we get a new Indy, and it's successful: it can grow the fanbase, re-energize the brand (new/legacy merch), and if it's good? Then roll on, good times.

The people who will hate it simply because they've re-cast Indy would have hated it if Ford had been in it anyway (He's sooo old! Stop raping my childhood! Let it die!). The iconoclasts don't matter because they wouldn't have been happy anyway. If they don't like it, they can just pretend the new films never happened. To them it will literally be no different than if KOTCS was the last one.

The old fans will stay or go--doesn't matter. New fans are more important. If you don't get new folks in, us existing fans will die out anyway eventually, and then there'll be no one left who remembers or loves Indiana.

TheFirebird1

Indy Jones said:
Not necessarily, the way I see it, the film version of Hollow Earth, for example, would simply replace the canonicity of the novel version. If it was done right anyway, there'd be nothing about it would would overwrite any of the other stuff. Crystal Skull dipped its toes back into some of the past by bringing Marion back, but otherwise the films have always stood alone and the EU material works because of that. If the series started getting more serialized like the Craig Bond films, then yeah, things would get overwritten at a rapid rate.
I get where you're coming from. I guess my main problem with Indy is that the franchise itself isn't as highly managed as other franchises are (i.e. Star Wars). The universe's canon is kind of mismanaged, so I just have a bad feeling about waves of confusion being created by this.
However, at the same time, I think some of the Indy novels would be epic as films. In the end, we'll just have to see how they end up resolving everything with Indy 5.

TheFirebird1

Indy Jones said:
The way I see it, it's win/win. For the Ghostbusters fans, the reboot did bring an influx of new merch in, and also freed-up the rights from Bill Murray so more could be done with the franchise. If we get a new Indy, and it's successful: it can grow the fanbase, re-energize the brand (new/legacy merch), and if it's good? Then roll on, good times.

The people who will hate it simply because they've re-cast Indy would have hated it if Ford had been in it anyway (He's sooo old! Stop raping my childhood! Let it die!). The iconoclasts don't matter because they wouldn't have been happy anyway. If they don't like it, they can just pretend the new films never happened. To them it will literally be no different than if KOTCS was the last one.

The old fans will stay or go--doesn't matter. New fans are more important. If you don't get new folks in, us existing fans will die out anyway eventually, and then there'll be no one left who remembers or loves Indiana.
I concur. I'm someone who was born long after the original films were released (a "digital native", as we're called now) and a lot of people in my generation know who Indiana Jones is, but haven't really been exposed to it yet. Even though it's weird to me (the films were part of my childhood) I think a lot of "80s" franchises are starting to bite the dust. Look at Star Wars compared to the Marvel Universe. People want something modern, something they can relate to. Luke Skywalker swinging around a lightsaber simply isn't interesting anymore to a lot of crowds.
I think Indy could easily expand into our Digital Age, but they aren't doing enough with it. Indy doesn't even have an official website. They can do a lot with the franchise, but they just aren't.

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
Hey, chin up, at least the Ford Era went out on a high note. Don't know about you guys, but I think it's the crisp, filmic cinematography that keeps me coming back to CRYSTAL SKULL.
Touché. But Kaminski's filters worked sometimes, especially in the :sick: fridge scene (I know, I know).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn4Vhkmb4Lw
There's something kind of hauntingly menacing about the lighting here when you consider the situation Indy's in. He's trapped in this fake, ultra-idealistic world which eventually shatters, which kind of fits in with the idyllic view of the 1950s compared to the harsh realities of it.
Too philosophical? Probably, but it sounds nice :D

Raiders90

I think a big problem was they wrote Indy into a corner with the ending of Skull with Marion and Mutt. Spielberg is a sentimental old man and I have my doubts that he would write out Marion; Mutt yes, but Marion? SS is also I feel too old to helm a dark Indy story, and too afraid ever since TOD to do so even if he wanted to. Even if KOTCS was not the fourth film everyone wanted it to be, in a way, it wraps Indy's story up much tighter than the ending of LC ever did. He is married. Has a son who he has years of catching up with to do. You could pull a Star Trek III and kill off Mutt and Marion and make a dark sort of introspective type thing, but I don't think Spielberg is the man for that anymore.

I have actually felt for a while that Spielberg was the weak link. He was burned out as early as 1989 and only did LC as an apology for TOD. He didn't want to do any Indy films after that. Harrison was game to do more. Lucas was on board. Spielberg was the holdout. We could've gotten Lucas' alien idea out of his system in the mid 90s (and it would've been received better in 1996), then a few years later around 2000 gotten a more traditional, final Indy film with Harrison.

I believe if we had Harrison, Lucas writing a story treatment and a good screenwriter taking it from there, and a younger director, we'd have had a very satisfying Indy 5 at least half a decade ago.

Alas.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
rip-tombstone-md.png

Fare thee well, Indy 5, we hardly knew ye.
Amen to that.

All you Ford fundamentalists out there, remember: We'll always have the Trilogy.

iu

For everyone else...
Indy Jones said:
Frankly, a new film starring Harrison wasn't likely to be the kind of revival that Disney wants out of the franchise.
Let's get some fresh blood.
Indeed. (y)

DARTH ZOIDBERG

The Last Lucasfilms film that supposedly was getting a rewrite and delayed production was when TFA moved on from Michael Arndt and Abrams and Kasdan took over script writing duties. Well we all know now that TFA wasn't a total rewrite so it wasn't delayed. Sometimes the Hollywood trade papers are wrong even though they are good papers. I bet this Is not a total rewrite they just need a closer to finish the story. Oh and didn't Star Wars RO have production issues they didn't have delays. and The Han Solo movie fired there directors and wasn't delayed. This Is just Hollywood common practice why do us nerds freak out every time we really shouldn't do this to ourselves.

Are None of you excited that Lawrence Kasdan's son Is working on an Indy script? Lawrence Is God Like when it comes to script writing Empire Strikes Back Raiders Of The Lost Ark two of my all time favorite films and possibly the 2 all time greatest films in Hollywood history. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and John Kasdan helped write Star Wars Solo that was an awesome film. Harrison will play Indiana Jones In Indy 5 don't worry guys. :whip:

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Amen to that.

All you Ford fundamentalists out there, remember: We'll always have the Trilogy.

iu

For everyone else...

Indeed. (y)
I am cautiously optimistic about the direction Indy is taking. If Lucasfilm plays it right, I think we could have the saga endure for quite a while longer.
However, all of us are being somewhat apocalyptic in our predictions for Indy 5. It's quite possible that Harrison will still have a (fairly substantial) role in the film rather than being completely ignored. I think that'll appease the Ford Fanatics and the modernizers.
Perhaps it's time to exhume Indy 5 from its (possibly premature) grave.
tumblr_mk70un5lzW1rvdee4o1_500.gif

TheFirebird1

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
The Last Lucasfilms film that supposedly was getting a rewrite and delayed production was when TFA moved on from Michael Arndt and Abrams and Kasdan took over script writing duties. Well we all know now that TFA wasn't a total rewrite so it wasn't delayed. Sometimes the Hollywood trade papers are wrong even though they are good papers. I bet this Is not a total rewrite they just need a closer to finish the story. Oh and didn't Star Wars RO have production issues they didn't have delays. and The Han Solo movie fired there directors and wasn't delayed. This Is just Hollywood common practice why do us nerds freak out every time we really shouldn't do this to ourselves.

Are None of you excited that Lawrence Kasdan's son Is working on an Indy script? Lawrence Is God Like when it comes to script writing Empire Strikes Back Raiders Of The Lost Ark two of my all time favorite films and possibly the 2 all time greatest films in Hollywood history. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and John Kasdan helped write Star Wars Solo that was an awesome film. Harrison will play Indiana Jones In Indy 5 don't worry guys. :whip:
I'm really excited that Jon's editing the script. I think he can do a really good job at it. I think what I'm (and some others) are worried about is that the film has been constantly postponed. This is the second time the film's been delayed (third, if you count the rumors that production was going to begin in 2011), and it seems like Spielberg isn't really determined to start Indy 5. But I agree with you, I don't think we should freak out too much. At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure Ford will return to the series somehow (he's a complete moneymaker for Disney and they can't let him go).
The only worrying things for this movie, as far as I'm concerned, are the fact that Harrison is getting older and that the film is teetering off the edge of development hell. I know he can still do stunts and all (he was incredible in Blade Runner 2049) but there's going to come a time where he simply can't do all the action that we were used to, and if they keep postponing the film they're going to hit that obstacle pretty quickly.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
Perhaps it's time to exhume Indy 5 from its (possibly premature) grave.
There will be a fifth movie, no doubt - and many more.
Disney didn't buy the IP for nothing.

But every day Indy 5 gets delayed makes it less likely that Ford will be the main lead.