Sean Connery in Indy 5?

Col. Detritch

Hey that was entertaining!
P.S. Sean looks so cool with a moustache!

Though Henry was an awsome character he isn't needed anymore- he died- sliped on a bar of soap!:p Lets look forward to new secondary character in Indy V or Salah(y) !
:hat:

misnomer

I remember hearing a quote where connery said "i'd love to do indy 4 if the script is good"

As we all know, the script wasn't good, and so connery stayed retired. Seemed to be the smart move.

I'd like an Indy V, really to undo the damage of the fourth.

EddyW

Ever since this bermuda triangle rumour I've been thinking, let's say it's true, wouldn't it be a great device to bring back Sean? In KOTCS they never mention how he died, so he could also have been presumed dead when in reality he's just lost in the Bermuda triangle. Henry Sr shows up again and Indy, Henry and Mutt could continue from there. I think I'd love something like that, but that's because I really liked Mutt as a character in Indy 4.

Sean Connery could easily pull it off if he wanted to, today is his 80th birthday but the character of Henry Jones Sr. would be even older, probably approaching 90.

Major Eaton

I've tried to warm up to this idea but I think it's a bit much. I don't think he will be satisfied with a script in the future. Plus, as chicago103 pointed out, the age factor is too great unless it's a prequel. And who knows how he feels about prequels as it relates to Indiana Jones. IMO, it'll take a miracle for him to sign on to a future Indy. I hope I'm wrong though.:)

San Holo

Bringing Henry back is easy peasy-I think it could work very well if his plane/ship went down in the Amazon or Burmuda Triangle..or he is Lost at Sea-and he is presumed dead, but living on a deserted island or deep in the heart of the jungle. He is tied somehow to the McGuffin(maybe he chose to protect it like the Grail Knight) Indy and Mutt could find him along the way to Fortune and Glory. It wouldn't take much to make a kick@$$ story with Connery back in the game:whip:

Montana Smith

Forbidden Eye said:
Well, since Connery has confirmed that he really has no interest in returning to acting today, I guess we'll not see Connery for Indy 5.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/sean-connerys-acting-days-over_1161836

He's been pretty adamant about not returning to acting, though he did have this to say:

However he named 'Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade' as his most enjoyable film to make.

He explained: "I was working with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. The teamwork was special. It was a great adventure and Harrison Ford and Denholm Elliot were wonderful actors. I had so much fun."

San Holo said:
Bringing Henry back is easy peasy-I think it could work very well if his plane/ship went down in the Amazon or Burmuda Triangle..or he is Lost at Sea-and he is presumed dead, but living on a deserted island or deep in the heart of the jungle. He is tied somehow to the McGuffin(maybe he chose to protect it like the Grail Knight) Indy and Mutt could find him along the way to Fortune and Glory. It wouldn't take much to make a kick@$$ story with Connery back in the game

I don't think there's much hope, unless it's a cameo. When Charlton Heston refused to be in Beneath the Planet of the Apes, the producers finally convinced him to take a small role, because they desperately needed him to be a part of it. He agreed, and the role became bigger than a cameo. I don't think we can even hope for this from Connery - for years he's told us that he's done with acting.

It seems that Sean Connery is going the way that Cary Grant did, retiring from acting after a long and distingushed career and never to return again. Then again Sean Connery made the movie "Never Say Never Again", maybe that's a glimer of hope ;).

I found it interesting in the article where he says he looks forward to doing "voiceover work" in the future having recently done one for an animated film.

This makes me wonder if Sean Connery would be open to being in Indy5 as just the voice of Henry Sr.'s ghost or at least what could be one interpretation as such via the supernatural McGuffin. Perhaps the McGuffin made him immortal and he is like Dave Bowman in the movies 2001/2010 of space odyssey fame. He is presumed dead because years ago he went missing looking for the McGuffin and was presumed dead because of his age. When Indy and company encounters Henry Sr.'s voice his body is never shown and thus they and the audience are left to wonder did the McGuffin make him some kind of disembodied immortal or is this his eternal soul, etc. Kind of like how the other supernatural stuff in Indy movies is usually open to an individual's interpretation whether it be via one's own religious beliefs or worldview.

Montana Smith

chicago103 said:
I found it interesting in the article where he says he looks forward to doing "voiceover work" in the future having recently done one for an animated film.

This makes me wonder if Sean Connery would be open to being in Indy5 as just the voice of Henry Sr.'s ghost or at least what could be one interpretation as such via the supernatural McGuffin.

Nice thought.

When Indy's in peril in Siberia after seizing documents leading to the Nazi Atlantis, the spirit of his father will appear to him like Obi Wan to Luke after the Wampa attack.

Major Eaton

Montana Smith said:
Nice thought.

When Indy's in peril in Siberia after seizing documents leading to the Nazi Atlantis, the spirit of his father will appear to him like Obi Wan to Luke after the Wampa attack.

Henry: Junior...Junior...
Indy: Dad?
Henry: You will go to Atlantis(or a mysterious place in Argentina in my vision).
Indy: Atlantis?
Henry: There you will obtain true fortune and glory.
Indy: Dad!!!!!!!.....Dad! (Henry's ghost fades as "Jonathan" Ke Huy Quan swoops in to reprise his roll as an older, much more sophisticated, and feistier than ever Short Round.)

How amazing and bizarre would this be? Holy Jumpin!:D

Indy5 might be the last major blockbuster that Lucas will ever make so self refrences to movies throughout his career if not done tacky would be appropriate.

Thats one reason I think setting it in 1962 makes sense since that references American Graffiti and its also the year Sean Connery starred as Dr. No as James Bond 007, the father of Indiana Jones. A star wars inside reference like described above would be cool to as would an obvious 1138 reference.

Montana Smith

chicago103 said:
Indy5 might be the last major blockbuster that Lucas will ever make so self refrences to movies throughout his career if not done tacky would be appropriate.

Thats one reason I think setting it in 1962 makes sense since that references American Graffiti and its also the year Sean Connery starred as Dr. No as James Bond 007, the father of Indiana Jones. A star wars inside reference like described above would be cool to as would an obvious 1138 reference.

The Da Vinci code of Indiana Jones movies! :)

moon_tan

Sean Connery has officially retired from doing any movies and public appearances. Michael Caine says Connery is not moving much these days.

EvilEmperorZoRG

It would be nice if Indy finds his old father now after thinking he was killed in the war or something like that. He was actually captured for something {can't think a reason now}and he was on the run hidding somewhere....and the story goes on ;)
Seems nice to me, what you guys think ?
About Connery's retirement, I think he can make an exeption for Indiana Jones. It's not a new movie, it's a special movie for us and for him too IMO. It will be nice to end his acting career on an ending scene like the one from Last Crusade !

moon_tan

Going off topic for a few seconds, I was hoping Sean Connery would have been able to make an appearance in the new James Bond movie, SKYFALL (2012), since they are going to be filming scenes in Scotland and it is the 50th Anniversary movie.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
moon_tan said:
Going off topic for a few seconds, I was hoping Sean Connery would have been able to make an appearance in the new James Bond movie, SKYFALL (2012), since they are going to be filming scenes in Scotland and it is the 50th Anniversary movie.

I believe he now spends his time on roses, Tanagra figurines, and Debussy.

As to the subject at hand, I fail to see why you'd want to overwrite Henry Sr.'s established death. Do we really expect that if he had simply gone missing that Indy wouldn't have found him?

Henry W Jones

They need to let poor Henry go. I love his character but they made it pretty clear he died. Connery was great in LC but I want them to avoid going back to the old films. Leave the dead dead. I wouldn't mind Sallahs return or even Marion if its not all jokey dialogue between her and Indy but leave Mutt in school and let Sr R.I.P.
No more nods to the previous films. Let's do something fresh this time. And bringing back Sr will take away from a serious adventure and lead to a movie full of two older guys bantering. You might as well make a movie about those two guys in the balcony on the Muppets.