Uncharted - the Movie

Le Saboteur

The Hollywood Reporter is indicating that Limitless director Neil Burger is in final contract negotiations to write and direct a big screen version of Uncharted.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Neil Burger, who most recently helmed the surprise box office hit Limitless, has zeroed on his next project: the adaptation of video game Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune.

Full article can be read here.

For those who prefer encapsulation, the most interesting tidbit of the article is this:

The Hollywood Reporter said:
The move comes after the late May’s exit of filmmaker David O.Russell, the indie auteur whose 200-page draft was 1) 200 pages, and 2) introduced a slew of new characters that did not appear in the video game. “Creative differences” were cited.

Time to get back to basics then.

emtiem

Not an original observation, but speaking of Limitless: Bradley Cooper would be bob-on casting for Drake, I'd say.

Le Saboteur

Mods: Can we re-title this thread "Uncharted: The Movie" to promote clarity between this and the games?

That said, development hell is no place to be. Yet, that's exactly where the movie is today. Roughly a year has past since the last real news surfaced, and in that time another directer has bowed out of the project. Sony has also brought in a new writing team.

According to Variety:

Variety said:
Scribes Marianne and Cormac Wibberley, who were the architects of Disney's "National Treasure" franchise, have been tapped to rewrite "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" for Sony Pictures, Atlas Entertainment and Arad Prods.

The Wibberly's have also penned the horrible Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. They've also created the USA Network buddy-action series "Common Law."

Full blurb here.

For something that's so ready made for the silver screen, it certainly seems to be having great difficulty getting out of port.

Le Saboteur

Development Hell opened its maw and spewed forth this horrifying tidbit --

IGN said:
Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg have been approached multiple times by developer Naughty Dog to write a script for the Uncharted film.

Drop by here for all of the horrifying news.

If this movie actually made it into theatres, I would be required to stay very, very far away. Even my morbid curiosity has limits, and this is beyond it. Looking across their filmography nothing stands out as making them even remotely able to bring a large scale action-adventure picture to the big screen.

It's almost safe to say that a live-action adaptation of Uncharted will never see the light of day. This despite the fact that all the heavy lifting has already been finished for them.

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
Development Hell opened its maw and spewed forth this horrifying tidbit --

Drop by here for all of the horrifying news.

If this movie actually made it into theatres, I would be required to stay very, very far away. Even my morbid curiosity has limits, and this is beyond it. Looking across their filmography nothing stands out as making them even remotely able to bring a large scale action-adventure picture to the big screen.

It's almost safe to say that a live-action adaptation of Uncharted will never see the light of day. This despite the fact that all the heavy lifting has already been finished for them.

I dunno, I quite enjoyed the wit and characters of that Green Hornet movie, which I think he wrote too, right? Don't get me wrong, it is indeed a bizarre choice, but my personal affection for Rogen will keep me from calling this a mistake for now.

Le Saboteur

Every time I think the 'net has successfully managed to kill this with fire, it manages to shamble back to life.

Guitar Wolf is not amused.

tumblr_mp8g3dRSbg1s3d4dyo1_400.gif

I'm not surprised, though. With Sony actively turning their more popular vid-ya games into movies it was only a matter of time before Uncharted was brought up again. Unfortunately, it seems like we won't be able to reach escape velocity from Seth Rogen's greasy fingers.

Why? Well, because Sony has now tapped Seth Gordon to helm the action-adventure franchise. If you're unfamiliar with the name, he brought such virtuoso projects like Horrible Bosses and Identity Thief to a cinema near you! I'm generally not one to pigeonhole somebody into a certain genre, but you can tell the tone Sony is shooting for with their latest choices for screenwriters and directors.

It's just jokes, man.

There isn't a single action flick on the man's resume. In fact, everything he's put his name to is rather forgettable. Hope springs eternal, but if this project goes forward with the current names attached then I don't expect much for the final product. Per the article, they're going right into casting which means that script from the guy they've now tapped to write Bad Boys 3 must have lit a fire under somebody.

Full article: Seth Gordon to direct 'Uncharted' for Sony

Relax! It's good!

BottomsUp.gif

Last edited:

kongisking

The Stranger said:
I would only be interested in this thing if Sam Worthington was cast as Drake, and Michael Bay was directing. I'm serious.

Coming Summer 2015, Michael Bay Presents...

UNCHARTED

STARRING Mark Whalberg as Nathan Drake (wait, that was a real rumor, wasn't it?), John Voight as Victor Sullivan, Megan Fox (or any other dime-a-dozen supermodel) as Elena Fisher/Chloe Frazer.

OFFICAL PLOT SYNOPSIS:

If adventure has a new name, it must be Nathan Drake! He's your typical snarky, bad-joke-making, womanizing pretty-boy action hero, but with a twist: instead of fighting giant robots, he's looking for treasure! Along with his trusty Old Man Stereotype sidekick Sully and unlikable/too-hot-to-possibly-be-real love interests Elena Fisher and Chloe Frazer, Drake is hot on the trail of the greatest ancient weapon in history: The Bombshell!

This weapon has the potential to turn every woman on earth into a smoking hot babe that can be lovingly shot from naughty angles by Director Michael Bay! Along the way, there will be dangers such as explosions, racial stereotypes, LOTS of shots of sunsets, explosions, an insufferable amount of flag-waving and loving long-shots of military hardware, explosions, incredible detailed yet ultimately souless CGI, and most deadly of all, EXPLOSIONS!

Coming to a Theater Near You!

I'd totally go see that movie...:p

Le Saboteur

TheFedora said:

There have been at least four or five scriptwriters attached to this project over the years, with Mark Boal being the latest. Boal has only four credits to his name -- I've seen two of them. Guess which! -- but they're all heavily dramatic outings. It seems to be an odd choice for a rather light-hearted action-adventure romp, but even odder given the complete contrast with the the current choice for director.

I'll say it again, though: It really isn't that hard to put one of these types of movies together. I don't have any direct insight into Sony's thought process, but the core of a movie is there. If Drake's Fortune is going to be adapted to the screen, then they only really need to work on the villain's reveal. Everything else is already in place.

The really interesting news from this new announcement, however, is that Chris Pratt was offered the role of Nathan Drake and passed on it.

Just gender swap it already!

SIeiqBE.jpg

kongisking

I suppose in a way, its sensible of Pratt to pass. Star-Lord is a very similar kind of character to Drake, so he might not want to be typecast. Also, he's got Jurassic World coming up, which could balloon into a multi-film role for him too.

TheFedora

kongisking said:
I suppose in a way, its sensible of Pratt to pass. Star-Lord is a very similar kind of character to Drake, so he might not want to be typecast. Also, he's got Jurassic World coming up, which could balloon into a multi-film role for him too.

First off, sorry I forgot there was a main film thread for this one...and I should have used search again. But yeah. Pratt passing this up, he has Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World, both of which he may be tied to multi-picture deals for. I think i read somewhere Jurassic World especially is planned for sequels so that could be something.

Le Saboteur

kongisking said:

Briefly speaking, very few actors are as versatile as they would like to believe. Pratt, as (un)fortunate as it may be, is another of those that won't be doing any heavy dramatic lifting. He should enjoy his new found leading man status.

That said, Pratt passing on the role can be summed up in one one word, time. Sony understandably wants an Uncharted flick in production as soon as feasibly possible, but they don't have a script they (or Marky Mark?) like(s) and it'll be about six months before Mr. Boal has something to show for his efforts given his current obligations. On that timetable, production won't commence until nine-months to a year out and Pratt will be knee deep in the next Guardians flick by then. Marvel's output means that they head back into filming almost immediately after the last production has ended (and why a lot of actors are unwilling to sign up).

If Sony had their ducks lined up, I'm almost certain that Pratt would have jumped at the role.

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
Briefly speaking, very few actors are as versatile as they would like to believe. Pratt, as (un)fortunate as it may be, is another of those that won't be doing any heavy dramatic lifting. He should enjoy his new found leading man status.

That said, Pratt passing on the role can be summed up in one one word, time. Sony understandably wants an Uncharted flick in production as soon as feasibly possible, but they don't have a script they (or Marky Mark?) like(s) and it'll be about six months before Mr. Boal has something to show for his efforts given his current obligations. On that timetable, production won't commence until nine-months to a year out and Pratt will be knee deep in the next Guardians flick by then. Marvel's output means that they head back into filming almost immediately after the last production has ended (and why a lot of actors are unwilling to sign up).

If Sony had their ducks lined up, I'm almost certain that Pratt would have jumped at the role.

I dunno, we haven't even seen him in JW yet, and he's said he plays that quite straight. We should wait for that to come out to see if he really isn't meant for varied roles. I can believe he has range.

jsarino

^^^Ugh, I'm not feeling it if Wahlberg does become Drake. Pratt would've been good...too bad he declined. Not even Bradley Cooper?

kongisking

jsarino said:
^^^Ugh, I'm not feeling it if Wahlberg does become Drake. Pratt would've been good...too bad he declined. Not even Bradley Cooper?

Agreed, Wahlberg I can't even take seriously anymore.

"WhaaAAAt? NoooOOooooOOO!"

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Agreed, Wahlberg I can't even take seriously anymore.

"WhaaAAAt? NoooOOooooOOO!"

Yeah, I mean the guy even got his ass handed to him by a teddy bear.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ErW3QhsRBeQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm really starting to get worried about the current situation with these latest Hollywood action/adventure blockbusters, 'cause I personally think that as of now the business is kind of lacking the right personalities. Simply put, there are no more Harrisons, no more Bruce Willises, no more Kurt Rusells, Mel Gibsons, Stallones, Tom Cruises, whatsoever. They are all getting too old to continue doing this kind of movies for long, and the new generation just doesn't have the faces nor the talents. To my eyes, there are really no more actors nowadays to decently play these iconic action roles in the near future. When I wrote about Sam Worthington, last time, I was not joking. I personally consider him to be one of the very few guys in Hollywood that could still be believable as action heroes. And one of the very few guys that actually have the roughness and charisma to pull it off. Others just don't.

Mark Whalberg. Bradley Cooper. Chris Pratt. Nathan Fillion. Name any other. I think they would all be plain terrible casting choices, and none of them could look other than irritating in the role of Drake. This whole situation is getting damn stale, because as far as I know the Uncharted movie is the only Indiana Jones style adventure film that's being planned up for the next four or five years at least. And to screw that up badly would be a gargantuan mistake. I'm worried. :(