Hooten and the Lady

Z dweller

The first episode of this adventure series aired on Sky1 last Friday.

Hooten & the Lady is Indiana Jones-Style TV Fun

If, like myself, you are not based in the UK, you can catch it on YouTube (albeit very lo-fi).
In this first outing the two eponymous character find the Lost City of Z, no less, and next week they are off to Rome.

It's not too bad for a low budget modern day pastiche, mostly played for laughs.
Take a healthy dose of Indy, add a generous helping of Romancing the Stone, and garnish with a soupçon of The Persuaders, just for good measure.

Overall just harmless fun, pretty forgettable, but what's a Ravener to do for the next three years? :p

Le Saboteur

Mod note: Can we drop the "New Teevee Series" portion of the title? It's unnecessary.

gallery-1473946116-pjimage-7.jpg

Z dweller said:
The first episode of this adventure series aired on Sky1 last Friday.

I expected it to be a very long time before this thread was bumped again, but the eight-part series* has now been picked up for U.S.-distribution by The CW according to The Hollywood Reporter.

* - A second series has yet to be confirmed or denied.

THR said:
Leona Connell, director of sales at Sky Vision, said: "Here at Sky Vision we're delighted that The CW will be the home of Hooten & the Lady in the U.S., we believe this high-octane adventure drama is a perfect fit for the network. The series was a huge hit with the Sky 1 audience in the U.K., and we hope viewers of The CW will love it just as much."

Full article: CW Takes Sky Adventure Series 'Hooten & the Lady' for U.S..

No idea yet when The CW will air stateside, but I could easily see it being slotted in as a summer series. I could see it doing well too; it fits in with the current tone and direction of the network.

They have a cool credit sequence.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zuTp-SjLVD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I otherwise have the first couple of episodes on tap, but have only managed to watch the first couple of minutes. No firm thoughts yet, but the show gets oodles of bonus points for actually having the temerity to film on location (unlike a certain other series).

Z dweller said:
...but what's a Ravener to do for the next three years?

Read a book? Travel? Pray to Ganesh that Ford dies? Get spiritually enlightened?

Last edited:

Major West

There won't be an R1 set until it's aired over there first.

I saw this and quite enjoyed. Nothing new and I prefered the episodes where they were off in some jungle to the ones where they were city bound, and as mentioned they went to all the locations for real to film there, so it's fun to look at.

Le Saboteur

Z dweller said:
Thanks for the update, Le Sab: I'll be sure to watch the rest of the series when CW airs it.

67da0a65671e9ae7831639394ddec6cc.jpg

While I was away The CW went ahead and announced a premiere date for Hooten & The Lady! Deadline is reporting that the eight part series will premiere stateside on Thursday, July 13th at 9pm.

Check local listings!

Deadline said:
Spanning eight hourlong episodes, Hooten & the Lady follows two globetrotting treasure hunters who set out to recover priceless legendary artifacts. Hooten (Michael Landes) is a smooth-talking yet foolhardy lone wolf, who often finds himself in sticky situations. Lady Alexandra (Ophelia Lovibond) is an aristocrat and British Museum curator who, despite being straight-laced, is eager to follow in the footsteps of history?s great archaeologists and venture to uncharted lands. Meeting in the thick of the Amazon jungle, they form an unlikely partnership as they travel the globe in pursuit of hidden treasures. Natural opposites, they soon find they don?t get on. However, expediency and danger draw them together. It is executive produced by Tony Jordan and Simon Winstone for Red Planet Pictures and Cameron Roach for Sky, with Caroline Levy as series producer.

Olliana

I find it odd that the show still didn't air in the U.S., while in other countries like mine (Germany) it ran some time last year.

I really enjoyed it, the main cast had very good chemistry, Lovibond is a strong female lead, reminded me of Marion at times. Btw, I think the show didn't looke low-budget at all, with all those beautiful, real location shoots.

Le Saboteur

Olliana said:
I find it odd that the show still didn't air in the U.S., while in other countries like mine (Germany) it ran some time last year.

Aside from a handful of prestige projects (typically British productions), European teevee shows don't make their way stateside. They don't play for various reasons, and European actors don't crossover. Marion Cotillard might be the biggest crossover star to date.

Hooten and the Lady, obviously has crossover appeal. If it finds an audience here, then it's possible a second series will head into production.

Fingers crossed!

hootenandthelady-1.jpg

Drop your drawers! Drop your drawers!
'cause that's the way you open doors!

Olliana

Le Saboteur said:
Aside from a handful of prestige projects (typically British productions), European teevee shows don't make their way stateside. They don't play for various reasons, and European actors don't crossover. Marion Cotillard might be the biggest crossover star to date.

Huh, I wonder what the reasons are. I thought Monthy Python and Doctor Who were pretty popular in the U.S., no?
Hooten and the Lady, obviously has crossover appeal. If it finds an audience here, then it's possible a second series will head into production.

Fingers crossed!

I really hope so!

Le Saboteur

Olliana said:
Huh, I wonder what the reasons are. I thought Monthy Python and Doctor Who were pretty popular in the U.S., no?

Only because the population of the U.S. is bigger than that of the UK by several orders of magnitude.

The CW wanted to remind you that this hits the airwaves in just a couple of weeks! They've even cut a new teaser trailer to remind you to tune in on 13 July 2017!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jli8xPU46RA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IndyBuff

This show looks like a lot of fun. It's one of those rare times when I kind of wish I had cable.

Le Saboteur

Elle est belle, sophistiquée, têtue. Il est beau, casse-cou, bourru.

hooten-and-the-lady2.jpg

IndyBuff said:
This show looks like a lot of fun. It's one of those rare times when I kind of wish I had cable.

Attila the Professor said:
The CW is broadcast, not cable.

It's worth noting that that The CW does make their shows available to stream on their site. I don't know how soon they become available, but they're otherwise free to watch.

You used to be able to catch them on Hulu the day after, but that deal expired at the end of the last year. The final option is Netflix. They signed a deal late last year that allowed Netflix to air the entire season just eight days after the final episode has debuted.

It also appears just began airing last week in France where the title was massaged (as to now be completely obvious) Hooten & The Lady: Treasure Hunters

<iframe src="//www.ultimedia.com/deliver/generic/iframe/mdtk/01692309/src/r3kprx/zone/1/showtitle/1/" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" hspace="0" vspace="0" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="320"></iframe>

Every evening after dark
We goose the statues in the park;
If Sherman's horse can stand it, so can you.
Washington was very firm
And Lincoln didn't even squirm.
Darling, that's why I'm in love with you

Kungaloosh!

Le Saboteur

Slackers of the world unite!

35dc0d8bbe392d0e0123b49ef96fccd8e4cdc95b.jpg

Episode 1 is indeed up and available from The CW's site! I'll be checking it out tomorrow evening, but that doesn't mean you can't go ahead already!

Then when you're done check out the trailer for next week's episode: Rome!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_ETBnzotoDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still not convinced? Variety has a pretty positive review!

LaToya Ferguson said:
If ?Hooten & the Lady? feels somewhat predictable at times, that?s because it is. That?s not a knock on the series, though, because it knows it. In fact, that?s a major part of its appeal. The British Sky1 original series ? now re-airing all eight of its episodes here as part of the The CW?s summer schedule ? intentionally draws on that feeling of nostalgia that comes with an ?Indiana Jones? flick or even ?Romancing The Stone.? From the Amazon to Rome to Egypt to the Himalayas, ?Hooten & the Lady?s? first season attempts to tell a rather self-contained action-adventure story in the span of eight separate hours. And it succeeds.

JasonMa

Watched the first two episodes tonight. Much like Hooten the show is rough around the edges but I already see improvement from episode 1 to 2. It doesn't to anything surprising but it knows what it is and doesn't try to reach outside that. It looks amazing, no expense spared for the setting. I'm looking forward to episode 3.
:whip:

Z dweller

I have now caught all four episodes aired by the CW so far, and I gotta say this series is seriously fun to watch!

Apart from the occasional bout of silliness (a large crocodile under a temple in Rome, Greek mercenaries looking to restore the country's former glory - hello?) the chemistry between the two main characters works like a charm, and their adventures are getting better and better.

Somewhat inevitably, Indy references are also increasing by the episode.

In Ep.3, which is about a dig in Egypt, lady Alex actually gets to say "They are digging in the wrong place!", while Ep.4 features a booby trapped temple in Bhutan.

Go on, U.S. based Raveners, give it a go!(y)

Mods, can you please disable autoplay for the French video linked by Le Sab? It's seriously annoying!

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Mods, can you please disable autoplay for the French video linked by Le Sab? It's seriously annoying!
It's 2017. If something on a web site bothers you, you create an AdBlock filter to get rid of it.

(Also, despite it being 2017, we can't lord over the settings of content embedded from other sites.)