Propstore Auction

axelan

eazybox said:
Yes, and when you wipe away all the mystique that surrounds this stuff, it's just an old, beaten up jacket, which makes it seem even more ridiculous. If it were possible to hold an auction in which people above a certain level of income are excluded from bidding, things could get really interesting for true fans, but, of course, that will never happen.

Jack

I can go off on a tangent here. The capitalism pyramid scheme just continues to get worse.

Who was auctioning off the items? Who is or was the owner?

eazybox

axelan said:
I can go off on a tangent here. The capitalism pyramid scheme just continues to get worse.

Who was auctioning off the items? Who is or was the owner?
ScreenUsed, a collector and auctioneer of original props, now closed according to the website, was the previous owner. I have heard that the new owner is from Dubai, but I'm not sure that's accurate info. What I would like to know is, what do you do with a $521,000 hat? Keep it in a safety deposit box until it doubles in value, I guess. ;)

Jack

eazybox

One thing that should be noted that I was not aware of until a couple of days ago-- the hat that was just auctioned apparently was reshaped a couple of times before the sale, and the soil markings that matched so perfectly with photos from the film apparently were CLEANED OFF. That the auctioneer would do this comes as a shock to me, because most collectors hate any sort of tampering with an original costume item or prop. The buyer presumably is happy with the purchase, but as far as I'm concerned, any reconditioning turns a desirable piece of movie history into damaged goods . :(

Jack

eazybox

emtiem said:
Where did you hear that?
Just by following the thread (now closed) on the auction over at COW, and then comparing photos of the hat as it looked when owned by ScreenUsed, and just before the recent auction, where obvious and pretty drastic differences can be seen. Somebody thought it was a good idea to mold the crown into a teardrop crease, which looks nothing like the Raiders crown, and after people complained the crown was reshaped once again to appear more Raiders-accurate.

The Prop Store admits to reshaping the hat but claims the soil markings weren't touched. The latter claim is hard for me to believe when comparing photos. But anyway, the auction is over, so it's a dead issue now. If the hat ever goes up for sale in the future, the dead may rise again, though. ;)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This summer's Prop Store auction unloaded another (the same?) hat, for $300K. You can still download the catalog. Also storyboards and trailer reels which went for $600, which is nuts because in the 90s they used to mail these to theaters for free, to promote second run movies.

Here's a complete list of Indy items. More news here and here.

eazybox

I think the Prop store auction this year in the US featured a Temple hat.
That's correct, the latest auction was for a TEMPLE OF DOOM hat. There's an interesting pre-auction YouTube video that gave a close-up look at it, titled ADAM SAVAGE AND THE ORIGINAL INDIANA JONES FEDORA.

Jack

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
A 1982 Temple script, still debating what to call it. Indy Two? The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones? Plus an amusingly complex letter from Kathleen Kennedy explaining Temple storyboard revisions. Great high res images worth grabbing, I did.

Temple:

Crusade:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Some of my faves. Many more when you search. Search Rinzler and Kazanjian, their closets got cleaned out. Last year's links are dead? Grab images now and download the catalog (pages 140-152, 454-456).

Production Stills
Cibachrome Color Prints
"Indiana Jones Meets Star Wars" Illustration
Lucasfilm Event and Screening Invitations and Passes
ILM Halloween Party Invitations
J.W. Rinzler Reference Books
Grail Knight's Sword
Grail Diary

031360936611a98c07579d69fb0dc00d.jpg

b0a7427ec925f86f55f330016869e342.jpg

743d4d29588108b810c139f190edf580.jpg

1623bce9dd125d9cd904ef619cd8ecf6.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
One of the original Grail Diaries, the headpiece of the Staff of Ra, and a holy grail prop are just three pieces from Prop Store's upcoming Entertainment Memorabilia Live Auction collection. Adam gets to inspect all three and catches details he's never noticed before in his own research and replicas of these iconic props:

emtiem

I saw a grail tablet on sale in London a couple of years back, I wonder if it's the same one.