Smitty's Junk

Montana Smith

I've been doing some digging on the unmarked Colt Navy.

Think it may be an Uberti rather than a Pietta, due to the smaller backstrap, and the fact that Uberti also did the 1843 sea battle engraving as per the originals.

Won't know for sure until I get the box.

Here they are together:

The Pietta black powder has the square back trigger guard which appeared on early models of the original Colt Navy. The Uberti(?) blank has the later round trigger guard.

It's time to rearrange the wall and oust that MP5.

Montana Smith

Yesterday, I had the chance to buy a boxed, blank firing steel Kokusai Colt Python .357 Magnum with 6 inch barrel.

I didn't go for it, but then gradually began kicking myself. It completely slipped my mind that Rick Grimes carries a 6" barrelled nickel plated Colt Python .357 Magnum in The Walking Dead.

600px-TWDS4E02_12.jpg

After I stopped kicking myself I started tracking the seller down, and have now secured it.

Here are images of someone else's Kokusai:

The one I'm getting has a different box, and with it was a little box of Webley long blanks.

The nice thing about this model, apart from being heavy steel and loading and functioning like the real gun, is that it bears no manufacturer's markings. Only Colt's own logos and markings.

And yet another cool thing with them is that they'll accept a real Python cylinder and grips, as this Walking Dead fan did to theirs:

32_python.jpg

Montana Smith

Kaustic Plastik's latest figure is the 1st century AD aquilifer:

The aquilifer, the most senior signifier in a legion, carried the legion's aquila, or eagle, and held a rank between that of a centurion and an optio.

With the parts included in the box you can also create a vexillifer - the vexillum being the standard bearing the name and insignia of the legion.

The full face mask for the helmet is of the Nijmegen type worn by the cavalry - also known as a 'cavalry sports helmet' which was worn for parade. There is evidence (e.g., from gravestones) that such full face masks were also worn by certain signifiers (but not the aquilifer).

I put together the second figure as an Auxiliary Cavalry Vexillifer, the use of the lion skin without its head is a mark of the auxilia:

This is yet another stunning and well researched release by Fabio Verasi's Rome based Kaustic Plastik and a welcome addition to the little army.

In the works from them is what they're calling the first historically accurate sixth scale Roman general (legate). So certainly none of that Russell Crowe Gladiator nonsense!

Montana Smith

Almost two months ago I wrote that four ACI figures arrived, three Roman soldiers and a gladiator, but I never took photos of the gladiator.

This is how ACI designed him to look:

As with all their gladiators, straight of out the box, it's a fantasy image owing more to the Starz Spartacus series or the Russell Crowe Gladiator movie than to an historical depiction.

Tall greaves were always worn as a pair, and I pre-ordered the figure on the understanding that it would include a second one. It didn't, but the company contacted me to send me another anyway, which arrived last week, along with the square parmula shield I ordered separately.

The greaves themselves are an excellent reproduction of those excavated at the Pompeii gladiator barracks in 1766/67. (There's a good photo of the real ones on page 249 of Junkelmann's Gladiatoren, though I haven't found an online image of them yet).

So here he is, Verus as a Thraex with a curved sica as opposed to the angled variant:

And the complete Ludus ACI:

Not sure about Verus' helmet, though. It's clearly based on the Spartacus helmet:

mw-121740-1

Montana Smith

Nineteen months of waiting finally came to an end last week.

I pre-ordered Hot Toys' sixth scale The Avengers Ruffalo Hulk back in August 2012. I hadn't seen the film then, but I really just wanted a Hulk.

Mr. Banner's angry other half took the slow boat from China. Literally. The container ship stopped at every port on the way.

He was well worth the wait.

To give an idea of size:

When I saw this,

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-oWU0hxifGw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had to do this:

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
The greaves themselves are an excellent reproduction of those excavated at the Pompeii gladiator barracks in 1766/67.
In 2005, I saw those barracks and walked through the Pompeii coliseum.

Hey, Smiffy, your thread has 59,681 views! That's pretty high for a so-called "personal blog".:)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
In 2005, I saw those barracks and walked through the Pompeii coliseum.

:cool:

There were some incredible finds made at Pompeii, many still intact.

Stoo said:
Hey, Smiffy, your thread has 59,681 views! That's pretty high for a so-called "personal blog".:)

I'm forever amazed by the number of hits this thread gets!

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
There were some incredible finds made at Pompeii, many still intact.
It's an amazing place. At the risk of turning The Raven into a so-called "personal blog", maybe I'll resurrect my Pompeii thread with some photos.
Montana Smith said:
People want to check out your junk, mate! Personally, I couldn't care less for the superhero tosh but am interested in your militaria (WW2 and earlier)...as well as your "Planet of the Apes" stuff.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
What did you expect? It's essentially a power fantasy for all those sorry sods who do not have the luxury of acquiring all this neat junk.

The reasons vary. One may be chronically broke, or the missus disapproves and threatens to cross her legs, or one lives in an area constantly pestered by plastic-eating locusts... you get the idea.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
It's an amazing place. At the risk of turning The Raven into a so-called "personal blog", maybe I'll resurrect my Pompeii thread with some photos.

Go for it!

Stoo said:
People want to check out your junk, mate! Personally, I couldn't care less for the superhero tosh but am interested in your militaria (WW2 and earlier)...as well as your "Planet of the Apes" stuff.

Classic Apes still rule!

planetoftheapesgoapeposter.jpg

Finn said:
What did you expect? It's essentially a power fantasy for all those sorry sods who do not have the luxury of acquiring all this neat junk.

The reasons vary. One may be chronically broke, or the missus disapproves and threatens to cross her legs, or one lives in an area constantly pestered by plastic-eating locusts... you get the idea.

I think I owe it all to you, Finn, when you renamed this joint!

But it comes at a price. Sacrifices have to be made, such as holidays, alcohol, food. Eating is very over-rated.

I've sold masses of vintage junk collected over the years that no longer really interests me. So that helps.

A lot of things are chance finds, just being in the right place at the right time. A random object then brings the fun of research to find out what it is!

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
I think I owe it all to you, Finn, when you renamed this joint!
So... you're suggesting that the visitors are mostly women and closeted men, then?

I almost feel sorry for making them leave the place disappointed.

Montana Smith

The postman gave me good head over the front gate this morning.

It's the first time he's ever done that. It was only a small junk package but I knew it was coming.

You see, the Chinese will copy anything regardless of licensing rights if it'll make money. For years they've been freely recasting Hot Toys' sixth scale head sculpts, repainting them and flogging them on Ebay.

While waiting for my Hot Toys Wolverines I ordered a bootleg head from Hong Kong to put on a spare Wolverine body. After all, he is my second-favourite Canadian.

In the comic books Logan (Wolverine) joined the Canadian-American First Special Service Force, which became known as 'The Devil's Brigade'.

So here he is wearing a US airborne uniform in 1942:

The FSSF was activated 9th July 1942 and trained at Fort William Henry Harrison which sounds apt enough for an Indy team-up:

Uniforms and equipment were supplied by the US Government. Training involved parachuting, skiing, rock climbing, demolitions, adaptation to cold climates and operation of the M29 Weasel.

1st_Special_Service_Force.patch.jpg

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
While waiting for my Hot Toys Wolverines I ordered a bootleg head from Hong Kong to put on a spare Wolverine body. After all, he is my second-favourite Canadian.

In the comic books Logan (Wolverine) joined the Canadian-American First Special Service Force, which became known as 'The Devil's Brigade'.
I didn't know that Wolf-a-weenie is a Canuck. If he's your 2nd favourite, then who is your 1st? Michael J. Fox? William Shatner? Justin Bieber?:confused:

This unit, The Devil's Brigade, must be the one which was depicted in the 1968 film of the same name. If so, that's kinda cool and fans of Wolverine owe it to themselves to check it out.
Montana Smith said:
The FSSF was activated 9th July 1942 and trained at Fort William Henry Harrison which sounds apt enough for an Indy team-up:
There's a Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario and a Fort William Henry in Lake George, New York (which were both British) but I've never heard of Fort William Henry Harrison before.

The things one learns from reading your posts...:)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
I didn't know that Wolf-a-weenie is a Canuck. If he's your 2nd favourite, then who is your 1st? Michael J. Fox? William Shatner? Justin Bieber?:confused:

...Shania Twain, Keanu Reeves, Bryan Adams, Jim Carrey, Stewie...

That would be telling. ;)

Lots to choose from!

Stoo said:
This unit, The Devil's Brigade, must be the one which was depicted in the 1968 film of the same name. If so, that's kinda cool and fans of Wolverine owe it to themselves to check it out.

Indeed it is! And one of the films I was having to 're-catalogue' last Sunday.

Stoo said:
There's a Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario and a Fort William Henry in Lake George, New York (which were both British) but I've never heard of Fort William Henry Harrison before.

Uncannily enough, it's in Montana: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_William_Henry_Harrison

And a potted history of the FSSF itself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Brigade

Stoo said:
The things one learns from reading your posts...:)

I surprise myself sometimes!

:D

Montana Smith

This was a very nice addition to the collection:

Inside, there's a licensed Umarex Beretta Mod. 92 FS full metal CO2 pistol:

Umarex of Germany are reputed to be the leading maker of pellet guns that are firearm replicas, and this is a real heavyweight at 1.26 kgs (2.78 lbs).

The technical specs from the manual:

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
This was a very nice addition to the collection:

Inside, there's a licensed Umarex Beretta Mod. 92 FS full metal CO2 pistol:

Umarex of Germany are reputed to be the leading maker of pellet guns that are firearm replicas, and this is a real heavyweight at 1.26 kgs (2.78 lbs).

The technical specs from the manual:

Or you could get a real gun instead all the toys. I even have a licence to carry.