Booby Traps!

The Drifter

TheLastCrusader said:
Yes, you seem like a real thinker :hat:

:rolleyes:

Wolfgang ponders the subtle nuances of booby-traps in Indiana Jones.
the_thinker.jpg

nitzsche

Indy was also trapped in the sandpit. It's not technically a mechanical booby trap, but it fills the place of one.

Indy's brother

General Ross: ?Indy, thank God. Don?t you know it?s dangerous to climb into a refrigerator? Those things can be death traps!?

I know it sounds like I'm being a smartass, and I am, but in the context of the movie I think the fridge could be considered a booby trap. The entire nuke sequence could be looked at as an "overblown" death trap for Indy.

wolfgang

TheLastCrusader: Yeah, its a pain. Oh well....I just get waaaay into these movies specifically.

Lonsome_Drifter: I had to look about ten words of your sentence up in the dictionary. About the Rodin picture, in terms of how I look like when I I think about this stuff.....I guess that's just about right.

Nitzche: Yes, I know. I loved that scene. But its not part of the scene dedicated to just seeing Indy outwit a bunch back-to-back. But again, I;m thinking too much about it, just....nevermind me. "Fine, go! Don't wait for me!"

Indy's Brother: Yeah, I like that line a lot! And I belong to the crew that LOVES that part so....I suppose you are right. My favortie scenes in KoCS are definetely the Wearhouse/Doomtown sequences.
:)

InVader

So, I just happened to find someone's old Topps trading card collection at a yard sale. Had all of the original 90 cards on the checklist. An interesting one has some concept art that seems to imply that mutt falls through the floor when they find the Skull for the first time. That seems to imply that there was at least 1 other booby trap planned for filming. On a side note, another one of the cards says that during the jungle chase, Spalko throws a rapier at Indy only to have Mutt save him with the magnetic powers of the skull. Anyone familiar with that particular "possibly" filmed scene?

Forbidden Eye

I like the movie, but I was disappointed with the lack of booby traps. One of my favorite moments of the trailer during the prerelease hype was when they showed the clip of and Indy and Mutt entering the tombs which goes like:

Indy: This is incredible!
Mutt: Unreal!
*Indy puts his hand in front of Mutt*
Indy: Don't touch anything!

I smiled at that, even chuckled because it immediately brought to mind Indy/Short Round and the spike room scene, and it made me ecstatic about the potential iconic death traps we'd see. Sadly, when then scene in the movie came nothing really followed it. It was a missed opportunity as it was a perfect time to have placed an iconic death trap. Sure there was a scorpion and levitating ground, but it was still missing something big.

Ironically the only really great booby trap in the movie is the spiraling obelisk, which makes less sense as it gives you the impression the aliens don't want the skull returned.