Oganga, The Giver and Taker of Life

Nurhachi1991

I just got done watching Oganga the giver and taker of life and all I can say is wow this series has been great experiance so far my Dad has been watching the series with me since the Travels with Father episode and he enjoys them just as much as I do and he is not really a fan of the Indy movies. I have to say though I like this series just as much as the films it is perfect series every episode is better than the last and I hope the rest of the episodes are just as great. Just thought I would share my opinions.

The thing I love most about the Young Indy series is after each episode you feel a little better about yourself and walk away having a different outlook on life. The films were great but you did not walk away wanting to better yourself by viewing them. This is a great series I wish it wasn't cancelled :(

caats

i'm prob gonna put a Volume on my christmas list. they're so freaking expensive. i know they put a bunch of historical stuff on them too, but how many episodes are in each volume?

Nurhachi1991

About 8 or nine but there all 2 hours each. I payed 80.00 for volume 1 than got 2 and 3 for 50.00 on sale at best buy.

caats

oh cool. do you see any editing problems? i've read they've edited them to seem like long movie types which sounds good to me. i've never seen the show. i actually like that old Indy was edited out. did you notice anything?

Nurhachi1991

Not really but I did not watch the old show as a kid either I was to young. I had some VHS tapes when I got a little older but I did not care for them because I wanted whip cracking action like in the films by hey I was 8 or 9

Now I can appreciate the Young Indy Chronicals.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
caats said:
oh cool. do you see any editing problems? i've read they've edited them to seem like long movie types which sounds good to me. i've never seen the show. i actually like that old Indy was edited out. did you notice anything?

It's not editing problems so much, that have fans of the original versions vexed. It's more the linking segments, which replace Old Indy's bookends and link adventures together into a movie that really cause problems. The most notable really being the movie, "My First Adventure", where it has voice-over which used to be Old Indy's dialogue/voice-over and is now voiced by a teenage Corey Carrier (he used to play Kid Indy on the show). In the kid Indy episodes mostly, you can tell that the linking segments were shot later because of the way Carrier looks and the way he speaks. It's obvious he's older than 9.

Otherwise though, the series I think, is still very much enjoyable and yes, educational (however it isn't like the educational side is jammed down your throat). And it really is a shame they didn't continue on further into the 1920's. Be aware, there is no Marion, no Abner, no Sallah, not even Brody. If you liked LC, then chances are you would probably like YIJC. If you ever want to see the original "First Adventure" when it was called "Curse of the Jackal" for comparison, it's up on Youtube.

Nurhachi1991, funny you should talk about being little and not liking it. I must have been a real nerd to like it at the age of 5. :eek:

DIrishB

It really is a great series. Travels with Father is an awesome episode (mainly due to the Tolstoy character/scenes).

Some of my other favorite episodes: "Journey of Radiance", "Spring Break Adventure", "Phantom Train of Doom", "Oganga, Giver and Taker of Life", "Tales of Innocence", "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye", "Mystery of the Blues" (the comedic chemistry between the Indy, Hemingway, and Ness characters in this episode is excellent and hilarious), and "The Scandal of 1920" (Indy's a pimp).

The entire series really is amazing. It gets better each time I watch it, and I've watched the DVDs eight times since I got around to buying them in May...when they were on sale for $50 on Amazon. It was worth it, definitely.

I can't encourage people enough to check these DVDs out. Especially the Sean Patrick Flannery episodes. The Corey Carrier episodes are decent to great in their own right, but the Flannery episodes really illustrate Indy's transition from boy to man in WWI.

And as Violet Indy mentioned, the episodes tend to be educational without forcing it on you or drowing the story in it. But, I also definitely encourage people to check out the special features, as they're interesting and educational in themselves, but its also interesting to see how those real-life historical characters or events are incorporated into the Young Indy tales.

vf wing

Oooooh man. I was truly and completely blown away by this episode. Just watched it this morning. I was looking forward to it anyway because of the setting, thinking there might be some fantastic African music in it (there was) and wanting to learn more of Albert Schweitzer.

What I got was one of the most powerful anti-war statements I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. And when I was expecting some native music to captivate me, it was Bach who literally stole the show. The piece played over the montage, leading us back to the reveal of Schweitzer himself playing, was achingly beautiful.

It's terrific that you and your dad are able to bond while watching these Nurhachi. My mom and I are both enjoying the Terminator tv show in a similar way.

Not exactly an action-packed episode, but it proved (to me, at least) that an Indy tale doesn't necessarily have to feature that particular element front and center to be thoroughly engrossing. I found the documentaries to be extremely enlightening as well. My favorite episode thus far!

phantom train

vf wing said:
Oooooh man. I was truly and completely blown away by this episode. Just watched it this morning. I was looking forward to it anyway because of the setting, thinking there might be some fantastic African music in it (there was) and wanting to learn more of Albert Schweitzer.

What I got was one of the most powerful anti-war statements I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. And when I was expecting some native music to captivate me, it was Bach who literally stole the show. The piece played over the montage, leading us back to the reveal of Schweitzer himself playing, was achingly beautiful.

It's terrific that you and your dad are able to bond while watching these Nurhachi. My mom and I are both enjoying the Terminator tv show in a similar way.

Not exactly an action-packed episode, but it proved (to me, at least) that an Indy tale doesn't necessarily have to feature that particular element front and center to be thoroughly engrossing. I found the documentaries to be extremely enlightening as well. My favorite episode thus far!

I agree, "Oganga" was truly a superb two-parter. Very well-done, and both of these episodes really looked good when edited into a an hour and a half movie since they were meant to go together to begin with.

Yes, the Bach music was very moving - when I think back on this particular piece by Bach, I always relate it to the "Oganga" episode since it really seems to fit the scenes it's played over.

VF wing, its so gratifying to have someone Discovering Young Indy and Loving it. Usually these boards are host to people trying to tear the show down.

Oganga's amazing alright, really crucial, the moment where Indy suddenly realises hes not becoming someone he can admire.. And beautiful too, great stuff.

Stoo

Can You Hear the Guns, Fernando?

We have these 2 threads:
Ep. 5: German East Africa, December 1916
Ep. 6: Congo, January 1917

...but I?m posting here because this involves both chapters.

---
Who else noticed that the 2 guns carried on Indy?s return trip were only a fraction of what was meant to be brought back?

Colonel Mathieu talks about getting a consignment of:
2 dozen Vickers machine guns
4 mortars
2 light British howitzers

However, the only pieces that Indy & Co. have onboard are:
1 Vickers machine gun
1 light cannon (a 12 pounder or less)

No howitzers, no mortars and 23 machines guns short. What happened to the other pieces? Were they reassigned by the French because the Belgians arrived too late? :confused: