Star Wars: The Force Awakens

AndyLGR

Vance said:
And Star Wars becomes yet another "summer blockbuster" quick-buck machine - with not much more to the franchise than that. If you listen carefully, you can hear millions of Star Wars fans crying out ....
Not sure if that post is sarcastic or not? SW has always been a summer blockbuster event, especially the OT.

I'm quite excited to see JJ Abrams linked to the new films. I like what hes been involved with so far especially Star Trek, Super 8, Cloverfield, Person of Interest and Lost.

Montana Smith

AndyLGR said:
I'm quite excited to see JJ Abrams linked to the new films. I like what hes been involved with so far especially Star Trek, Super 8, Cloverfield, Person of Interest and Lost.

Star Trek was better than I expected, though it's not a 'franchise' I follow very closely anymore. (The various series became a little too much soap opera instead of space opera).

Became an avid fan of Alias and Lost once I had the DVDs.

I think Abrams is good news for Star Wars. He has the chance of adding new impetus, and taking it back to its space opera/Flash Gordon roots, away from the political drudge that Lucas mired it with.

With his prequels Lucas drained some of the mystery and the wonder out of the universe. Those three films pale into insignificance against some of the early expanded universe novels which really captured the spirit of the Star Wars. Gunfighters, gamblers and smugglers making their way through a universe of strange planets, aliens and robots.

To me Star Wars was more than the story of Darth Vader and his family. Vader, originally under the thumb of Grand Moff Tarkin, was just one of many villains.

Thankfully, or hopefully, Vader's life story has now been told, and Abrams can move on.

However, with the main characters now much older, Star Wars 7 is going to feel different. Though at least the children of Han and Leia will by now be old enough to be interesting. So long as Shia LeHam isn't offered one of the roles!

Pale Horse

Staff member
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x9g2DBk_OXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Gonzo

Disney issues official press release confirming Abrams as director

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-iss...firming-j-j-abrams-for-star-wars-episode-vii/

Only real thing worth noting here are quotes from Kennedy, Lucas himself and Abrams... also more on the involvement of Kasdan besides writing something other than Episode VII...

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

And this...

Pale Horse said:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x9g2DBk_OXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...probably the best use of that music/sound I've ever seen outside it's origin.

Montana Smith

In a shopping centre not so far away... DARTH MALL

UK's Bluewater could be new Star Wars location

Exclusive

By STUART PINK, Showbiz Reporter

Published: 7 hrs ago

FANS can checkout Star Wars VII being filmed — at a shopping centre.

Disney starts shooting the first of three movies in the UK in summer.

And bosses have identified a disused quarry in Greenhithe, overlooking the vast Bluewater mall in Kent, for battle scenes.

A source said: “Doctor Who has been filmed there and it can easily replicate other planets. They’ll just have to make sure they don’t include the shopping centre in any shots.”

Episode VII of the Star Wars series — which features evil Darth Maul — is due out in 2015.

Star Trek’s JJ Abrams is tipped to direct, despite refusing an earlier approach due to “loyalty to Star Trek”.

It must have been an R2-D2-for-one offer.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...d-quarry-by-Bluewater-mall.html#ixzz2J4SZOxdf

* Bear in mind, however, The Sun is a badly written comic book with only a passing resemblance to a genuine newspaper!

Montana Smith

71863_10151334517344585_2056692917_n.jpg

http://www.flicksandbits.com/2013/02/03/awesome-fan-made-poster-for-star-wars-episode-vii/38613/

excessive geekdom and photoshop...the perfect marriage. Throw in a bad, poorly worded tagline and...

"OOO it's like so dark! Original Star Wars imagery! LIGHTSABER!"

in real news...goodbye Stuart Freeborn. RIP
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21357301

I didnt know he was still alive...was sure seeing Yoda in AOTC killed him. Wonder if there will be a half insulting "In Memory" during Yoda Begins...

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

I can't confirm this yet with any website or news article as of yet, but the word around town this morning is that Harrison Ford has met with Abrams and Michael Ardnt and it's likely Harrison signed on to play Solo at least one more time.

UPDATE:

Here you go, now being reported.
http://www.slashfilm.com/rumor-harrison-ford-will-return-as-han-solo-in-star-wars-episode-vii/

So looks like Ford goes out with Solo, the character that basically made his career, as opposed to the man in the hat.
Looks like Han shoots last... huh-huh-huh.

Last edited:

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
So Jaina, Jacen and Anakin vs. the Remnant?

Hopefully we won't have to see Chewbacca die saving Anakin.
monk21.gif

Is it too much to think it would be a good idea if Artoo meets his end in Episode VII? It would be fascinating, and heart-wrenching, to see Threepio's character development in the wake of such a tragedy in the next two films.

Yeah, I even want the flippin' whiny protocol droid to get his own arc, that's how epic I want this trilogy to be...

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Is it too much to think it would be a good idea if Artoo meets his end in Episode VII? It would be fascinating, and heart-wrenching, to see Threepio's character development in the wake of such a tragedy in the next two films.

In the expanded universe Artoo is the one who survives to tell the tales. I think it's more likely that Seethree goes first, and lonely Artoo is left to whine and whistle sadly...

But what gets me about Star Wars, especially now with the Prequels, is the amount of coincidence involved.

It begins with Vader attacking the ship that both his daughter and the droid he built are on.

The droids escape to Tatooine, where Vader grew up and built Seethree, who, in turn meets the son of his creator. Artoo then meets the Jedi he used to adventure with.

For a big universe it turned out to be a small 'world'.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
In the expanded universe Artoo is the one who survives to tell the tales. I think it's more likely that Seethree goes first, and lonely Artoo is left to whine and whistle sadly...

But what gets me about Star Wars, especially now with the Prequels, is the amount of coincidence involved.

It begins with Vader attacking the ship that both his daughter and the droid he built are on.

The droids escape to Tatooine, where Vader grew up and built Seethree, who, in turn meets the son of his creator. Artoo then meets the Jedi he used to adventure with.

For a big universe it turned out to be a small 'world'.

I think it was intended to be "the will of the Force". Destiny, and all that. Which is perfectly in line with the predominantly fantasy themes of Star Wars.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
I think it was intended to be "the will of the Force". Destiny, and all that. Which is perfectly in line with the predominantly fantasy themes of Star Wars.

That's why I prefer the pre-prequel expanded universe. It was a bigger and more mysterious place to explore, before Lucas started to make it more constrained.

Star Wars VII was always going to be more interesting, as it looks to the future rather than a past Lucas knew he was going to have to contend with.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
That's why I prefer the pre-prequel expanded universe. It was a bigger and more mysterious place to explore, before Lucas started to make it more constrained.

Star Wars VII was always going to be more interesting, as it looks to the future rather than a past Lucas knew he was going to have to contend with.

I'll buy this. It's always better to do a sequel than a prequel, as then, there's really no predicting what will happen. I thought J.J. Abrams' Trek film fixed the fundamental "prequel" problem by establishing that it was an alternate timeline created by Spock's antics, so anything could happen. They didn't have to worry about sticking to canon.

Montana Smith

I read it in the dailymash, so it must be true.

Old Luke Skywalker to have really knackering lightsaber duel

22-02-13

THE next Star Wars film will feature a 61-year-old Luke Skywalker breaking off a lightsaber battle to have a sit down.

Skywalker will be seen running out of puff during an epic battle with Empire forces.

A Disney source says: ?Old Luke?s all gung-ho about fighting some stormtroopers but he quickly becomes knackered.

?Then he?s all like, ?give me a second guys, Jesus Christ? and the Empire forces let him have a minute to get his breath back.?

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...ally-knackering-lightsaber-duel-2013022260775

Henry W Jones said:
Star Wars 7 & 8 were already done

51JSXJMQSBL.jpg

damn straight...Battle for Endor is 100% more entertaining than the prequels

Although Georgie Boy wants us to believe that these are episodes 5.2 and 5.3...whatever...

Henry W Jones

featofstrength said:
damn straight...Battle for Endor is 100% more entertaining than the prequels

Although Georgie Boy wants us to believe that these are episodes 5.2 and 5.3...whatever...

You hate the prequels so bad that you I think The Battle for Endor is more entertaining? Those two ewok movies are terrible compared.