Guardians of the Galaxy

Sea Monarch

Just went to Guardians for what was possibly the 9th or 10th time in theaters last night! May have been 8th (I lost count). If it was 9th, that would tie it with Capt America: The First Avenger, The Avengers and LOTR the Two Towers, for the most times I went to a movie in theaters. I saw Crystal Skull 7 times in theaters, and would have seen the others more frequently if I could have when I was younger. This will all change of course, when I get the projector I want, though I will still go to the Theater.

Point is, I totally love this movie!!! Saw it pre-screening opening night, and about 3 or 4 times were at the Drive-in, 4 were in Big D (for those that don't know this is way bigger than regular screens, but not as tall/big as IMAX), and (sadly) only once or twice got to be in 3D.

Maybe wouldn't have gone so many times, except for having friends who hadn't seen it, and that I would tell myself it was the last time to see it in Big D, since they bump it out of there when the newest flicks come in. Problem is they keep putting it back in, because it keeps performing!

Seems like (good) Galactic/Space movies are few and far between, and I love getting immersed in the worlds in this one! Sometimes when I went to other movies multiple times, I zoned out in parts, but last night while watching It kept my attention, and I even picked up on new things.
What can I say, every time Starlord starts dancing to the rhythms of Redbone and singing into his "microphone", a big smile comes across my face, and the audience realizes, "we are in for a joyride, and this is not your daddy's outer space movie...and yet in some ways it is"!:cool: :D

Last night I was thinking how the way that the movie title takes up the entire screen, was probably inspired by, and an homage to the movie title being larger than life in Temple of Doom. I know the director cited Raiders as an influence in many aspects of the movie.(y)

I had a few gripes with the flick, but ultimately it's a great ride. If going, one should definately see this on the biggest screen possible!:whip:

kongisking

Sea Monarch said:
Just went to Guardians for what was possibly the 9th or 10th time in theaters last night! May have been 8th (I lost count). If it was 9th, that would tie it with Capt America: The First Avenger, The Avengers and LOTR the Two Towers, for the most times I went to a movie in theaters. I saw Crystal Skull 7 times in theaters, and would have seen the others more frequently if I could have when I was younger. This will all change of course, when I get the projector I want, though I will still go to the Theater.

Point is, I totally love this movie!!! Saw it pre-screening opening night, and about 3 or 4 times were at the Drive-in, 4 were in Big D (for those that don't know this is way bigger than regular screens, but not as tall/big as IMAX), and (sadly) only once or twice got to be in 3D.

Maybe wouldn't have gone so many times, except for having friends who hadn't seen it, and that I would tell myself it was the last time to see it in Big D, since they bump it out of there when the newest flicks come in. Problem is they keep putting it back in, because it keeps performing!

Seems like (good) Galactic/Space movies are few and far between, and I love getting immersed in the worlds in this one! Sometimes when I went to other movies multiple times, I zoned out in parts, but last night while watching It kept my attention, and I even picked up on new things.
What can I say, every time Starlord starts dancing to the rhythms of Redbone and singing into his "microphone", a big smile comes across my face, and the audience realizes, "we are in for a joyride, and this is not your daddy's outer space movie...and yet in some ways it is"!:cool: :D

Last night I was thinking how the way that the movie title takes up the entire screen, was probably inspired by, and an homage to the movie title being larger than life in Temple of Doom. I know the director cited Raiders as an influence in many aspects of the movie.(y)

I had a few gripes with the flick, but ultimately it's a great ride. If going, one should definately see this on the biggest screen possible!:whip:

Monarch Returns! :hat:

This really is a charming as hell movie, I agree. And the soundtrack is nothing but MY kind of music, so its just an endless parade of things I love. :cool:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I finally saw the seventh biggest movie of the year (opens in China next week, but will probably finish behind Hunger Games 3 and Hobbit 3). Despite the hype and the many moments spoiled by the trailers it was worth the matinee price. Looked great but a bit random:

Since this is part of the undisputed dominant popular mythology of the 2010s, does it all really culminate in Avengers 3 with Galactus collecting the six Trivial Pursuit pie pieces? At which point the Avengers assemble to stop him by choosing a category of question he hopefully cannot answer? Hasbro's having a better year than I realized...

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
I finally saw the seventh biggest movie of the year (opens in China next week, but will probably finish behind Hunger Games 3 and Hobbit 3).

The Hunger Games (a.k.a. Running Man for preteens) is an undeniable box office juggernaut, but the primary difference between the two? Guardians is just beginning to heat up, and in another two years there won't be anything else left to source from that well or pillage from Tolkien's archives. Disney has successfully launched a new franchise.

Test footage from the floor of the New York City Comic Con:

I'm not entirely sold on the art style -- it reminds me of Akira -- but the cartoon is definitely going to keep the team in the public's eye right up through the next couple of movies. Home video sales & merchandise are going to net Disney-Marvel a nice pile of money.

The movie still has to open in Italy & Switzerland still.

It did open in China (finally) with a nice haul of $26.6-million. So depending on its final take there, I see no reason why the flick couldn't leap over The Winter Soldier and The Amazing Spider-Man. X-Men in an outside possibility, but it won't rise higher than that.

Oh, and the official, actual dancing Groot toy.

<object id="flashObj" width="620" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=3833186977001&playerID=1275216913001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAABBzUwv1E~,xP-xFHVUstjFMsS-3Kb8-iZB6sJ0hUm_&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=3833186977001&playerID=1275216913001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAABBzUwv1E~,xP-xFHVUstjFMsS-3Kb8-iZB6sJ0hUm_&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="620" height="350" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
Test footage from the floor of the New York City Comic Con:

Looks interesting...

Le Saboteur said:
I'm not entirely sold on the art style -- it reminds me of Akira

Hmmm. I see what you mean. The scenery is fine and shiny. The characters are flat and mismatched.

Le Saboteur said:
Oh, and the official, actual dancing Groot toy.

I've decided to save money and grow my own Groot.

Gonna be a few years before he looks as good as this one...

giant-googly-eyes.jpg

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
Hmmm. I see what you mean. The scenery is fine and shiny. The characters are flat and mismatched.

It's only test footage, so plenty can change between now and whenever it eventually hits the small screen. The promo art looks pretty good, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Based on Disney's recent offerings I would be surprised if the quality didn't improve tenfold.

guardiansanimatedsmall.jpg

Yo Soy Muy Macho said:
It did open in China (finally) with a nice haul of $26.6-million. So depending on its final take there, I see no reason why the flick couldn't leap over The Winter Soldier and The Amazing Spider-Man. X-Men in an outside possibility, but it won't rise higher than that.

Well, it looks like that outside possibility has come to pass! Since debuting in China, that nameless group of a-holes have taken in a very nice haul of ~$84.4-million! So as of today that puts the flick's total haul at ~$752-million making it the highest grossing comic book movie of the year thus far, with only Maleficent and Transformers ahead of it.

With roughly another week to go before it disappears completely from North American theatres can it scare up another ~$50-million? It's virtually assured to clean up on home video as well.

Oh, yeah. The a-holes are now set to return to theatres a whole two months earlier!

https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/6/10/544fd207513fa.jpg

tumblr_lox02eaI2C1r0wgiuo1_400.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
I'd rather buy the Blu-ray, gain a sense of ownership and have re-playability.

It'll be available on digital download on 11/18 and finally (it's still playing in theatres, Marvel!) available on Blu-ray on 12/9 in the States. Blighty will get it on 11/24.

In the meantime, look for your local record shop and pick the soundtrack ... on cassette tape! Yes, cassette. It'll be the first one you've bought in at least twenty years!

And then spend ~a grand on the exact model Walkman Star-Lord had in the flick. That's the Sony TPS-L2 model if you're so inclined. The film accurate orange earphones will be extra.

If you're not into yoga, watch these!

It's Ranger Rick!

Montana Smith

Le Saboteur said:
And then spend ~a grand on the exact model Walkman Star-Lord had in the flick. That's the Sony TPS-L2 model if you're so inclined. The film accurate orange earphones will be extra.

Six times smaller, and strangely not orange, but less than a grand...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
Based on Disney's recent offerings I would be surprised if the quality didn't improve tenfold.

Are you absolutely certain you want to stand by that statement?

It's only sixteen seconds, but it's almost as if Disney forgot the movie existed. The cartoon is definitely aimed at a younger age bracket. Rocket doesn't even come close to having a similar voice.

Time will tell. Premieres in September on Disney XD.