Barnett or Marshall?

Niteshade007

Interior locations can be used more than once in films. The same ballroom was used for The Great Gatsby and True Lies, but that doesn't mean that they take place in the same location. The exteriors are what define the location for those particular scenes.

Stoo

Way of the dodo said:
I still don't get how all that freeze frame art department stuff can trump Spielberg filming in the same classroom?
Because Steve-O probably didn't care if Indy-nerds scrutinized it so closely!;) It's Barnett. Accept it.

Sankara

Once again: We are talking about the movies! You can't read the the adress and you can't read what's on the sign. BUT: You can see a Boy with a Shirt with large "M" in the Classroom of "Last Crusade"! (y) The same "M" for "Marshall College"...

Once again: Steven Spielberg, Frank Marshall, Robert Watts etc. always never say that there are two colleges. They always said we return to a location from Raiders etc. Or abot "Skull" they say "He is still teaching at Marshall" if there was a switch they must say "He is back at the Marshall College after his time at the Barnett College"... :)

So... please show me Interviews with Steven Spielberg, Frank Marshall, Robert Watts etc. confirming the switch between an Marshall... Barnett... and *LOL* back to Marshall...

Fact is: The switch is expandend Universe BS. From the point of Steven Spielberg, the director, why should Indy AND Marcus switch from from one College to another and... back.. ?

Can't wait to read this interviews...

By the way: The name was never mentioned in "Raiders". Why do you think it's the "Marshall College" in Raiders??? :)

Way of the dodo

I dunno man, that making of book is 400 giant pages long and has names of obscure characters from unused scripts, you'd think Indy changing schools and back again would come up somewhere in there.

Sankara

1) There is a DVD chapter named "Barnett College".

It's NOT in the movie! :D

2) SEVERAL students have a Barnett emblem on their notebooks ONSCREEN.

Very-very-very hard to see... but there is a guy with an large "M" for Marshall College on his shirt. The same "M" is used in "Skull"... (y)

3) The parcel paper prop has the Barnett College in Fairfield, NY address.

You can't see this in the movie! :D

4) The cars in the film (including Indy's) have 1938 New York license plates.
Do tell, does the sedan look like it has a '38 NY plate or a '38 Connecticut plate?

And???

Can't wait to read this interviews with Steven Spielberg, Frank Marshall, Robert Watts etc. confirming the switch between an Marshall... Barnett... and *LOL* back to Marshall...

And at this point I hope, everyone stops arguing with Sankara, as it really is quite pointless. We could wheel in George and he say it was Barnett or not, or we could uncover a mythical Indiana Jones and the switch the Barnett, filmed in the years between Doom and Crusade, but Sankara would still not be convinced.

Surely the director approved props and giant signs over doors in Crusade...

no wait, I'm doing it again, its impossible to convince Sankara with argument, evidence even. Proof even. So I really should stop..

Kooshmeister

Yeah, I pretty much give up as well after reading that latest post. I just hope Sankara understands the difference between conceding an argument, and giving up out of sheer frustration. :rolleyes:

Stoo

Sankara said:
Once again: We are talking about the movies! You can't read the the adress and you can't read what's on the sign. BUT: You can see a Boy with a Shirt with large "M" in the Classroom of "Last Crusade"! (y) The same "M" for "Marshall College"...
You're whacked!:D You can read the sign. On my kick-ass, flat screen TV I can so it's undboutedly legible on a giant, 70mm projection.
If you want talk about the movies then talk about the movies. Y'know, what is on celluloid and not in your imagination. We can see
the "M" but we cannot see/read "arshall".

If you want to play make-believe, then maybe the "M" stands for "moron" or...maybe...

The guy was an avid Montreal Maroons fan! 2 time Stanley Cup champs who played in the NHL from 1924-1938.
Fairfield is halfway between Montreal & New York so he was probably from upstate and had an unshakeable
allegiance to the team. The Maroons last won the cup in '35. He was most likely still rooting for them in their
final season and wore his away/visiting team-colour sweater to show the NY fans.:p

BarnettMGuy.jpg

Sankara

Well, I'm still waiting for the interviews with Steven Spielberg, Frank Marshall, Robert Watts etc. confirming the switching between colleges...
:D

By the way: It is obviously that Brody is working at the same college and that he is some kind of "Boss" to Indy! Oooh... look what I found:

Elliot described his character as "a rather eccentric professor and reluctant adventurer who is always saying the wrong thing at the right time. He's Indiana's friend and boss at the university."

Source: The Raider.net :D

Sankara

@stoo
It's sooo funny that you "want" that there are two colleges in the Indy-Movies... :D

So, you know that these guy is a fan? Maybe the "M" is for his name... Marco! Yes, the name of the guy is Marco! Or maybe he is fan of Mercedes... or maybe he loves his Mum...

But you: I'm still waiting... (y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sankara, I do a lot of theatre. As a director, as a designer, as an actor. There are things going on in the heads of all three people that frankly don't match up unless they explicitly talk about it. The actors need not necessarily know some of the smaller aspects of, you know, prop design and set dressing. Also, the dialogue that Marcus speaks is clearly more concerned about a museum - he never mentions the university. Yes, he's there, but there's a lot of people who can show up at a college campus without working there.

Udvarnoky

Sankara said:
Well, I'm still waiting for the interviews with Steven Spielberg, Frank Marshall, Robert Watts etc. confirming the switching between colleges...

Keep waiting. The fact that Barnett is not addressed in Indy4 is simply a goof on Spielberg and the writers' part. Nothing more. If asked about it in an interview, I wouldn't be surprised if Spielberg said, "Oh wow, I didn't even realize that!"

Since Spielberg shot the classroom scenes of Raiders and Crusade in the same set, I'd say it's probable he intended for it to be the same college, but the fact that the exterior of the school is vastly different (for whatever reason...I still remember something about it being unavailable, but that piece quoted earlier in this thread contradicts this) necessitated that they call the college something else - Barnett, which is referenced by name in the movie, hard to see or not. Its reappearance in Fate of Atlantis or in "Expanded Universe" work is not the only proof we have of its existence. Last Crusade and FOA confirm that Barnett is located in upstate New York, whereas Marshall is in Connecticut. They are two different schools in two different locations that both appear in the Indiana Jones movies. This is fact. The conjecture comes in when trying to explain why there are two different schools. Maybe when Spielberg addresses it in that hypothetical interview you keep praying for he'll reveal that he simply screwed up. My guess is that Spielberg forgot that they called it a different college in Last Crusade (maybe it's even possible he never knew it to begin with, if it was just something the prop department did to explain the fact that the exterior was different), and reprised Marshall upon rewatching Raiders.

I do think it's kinda funny that they just stole the Marshall College establishing shot from Raiders in Crystal Skull. (Excellent detective work, Stoo!) Maybe they would have done that for Crusade too if there wasn't an actual scene that required Indy to be at the school's exterior. By the time Indy4 came around, Spielberg and everyone else probably forgot about this obscure little fact, and assumed they were doing fans a favor by showing us the college from Raiders of the Lost Ark. The most obvious explanation is that this is a simple flub, unless you really believe Lucas and Koepp and Spielberg and whoever conspiratorially penned this huge convoluted explanation for why he switched back and forth that they never felt like sharing. You can believe whatever the hell you want - it doesn't change the fact that Indy works at Barnett College in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and that sometimes an "M" is just an "M."

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Oh, man, you are absolutely right! It's the same shot digitally modified! Not only have the cars been changed
but 2 students walking across the grass have been removed. Good eye, Udarnovky! Check out the detail, folks.
In a full screen comparison, you can see the trees haven't changed in over 20 years...:D

MarshallCollege.jpg

I'd actually noticed this myself the day Crystal Skull opened, but wasn't 100% certain since I hadn't done an A/B comparison. I was almost certain, though.

Hasn't this come up somewhere here in the Raven before? I seem to remember seeing some reference to it somewhere, but...

Indy teaches at Marshall College in Raiders and Crystal Skull.

Check out The Complete Making of Indiana Jones...Frank Marshall was quite embarrased about it.

Possibly a Visiting Professor, Second Job, or Indy just following Marcus around, how do we know Indy is not teaching at Marshall College in The Last Crusade? Despite the multiple students with the Large M patch sewn on the front of their sweaters, on campus in Indy's class and his office, Barnett College is the name of Scene 5 in the Last Crusade DVD Chapter Credits.

Where else is the school mentioned in the varied Indiana Jones Media...?
Barnett College is a location in The Fate of Atlantis Video Game and it's Comic Adaptation. Indy's mailing address on the Grail Diary cannot be seen, however the Lost Journal of Indiana Jones shows the mailing wrapper and the address reads:

Prof Indiana Jones
Barnett College
Hamilton Hall
Grove Avenue
Fairfield, New York

Which only spurs more continuity questions like; did he really want to send it to the family's dead dog?
Most recently, Barnett College acts as the main hub in Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures.:dead: