"Lucas raped a perfect franchise!"-but not Indy?

StoneTriple

Darth Vile said:
That's obviously not taking away from those who articulate their criticisms in a way that encourages debate/conversation... rather just those who would use such emotive language ("raped") about what is simply a piece of escapism entertainment.

I absolutely agree. There are plenty of valid criticisms (of all four films) that have been, and continue to be, discussed interestingly and intelligently.

Matt deMille

On internet criticism: Damn right. It's too easy and too safe for people to spew their hatred online. I guess that's why guys like Lucas just don't listen. I wouldn't either. Making movies is tough enough.

On Indy V: You're right, Dr. Jonsey. It a fifth and final film should be something everyone can enjoy. I just hope it's not a religious artifact, because that would make KOTCS an oddball-out. What I wrote in my own script for Indy V is more ancient, pre-Atlantean, so it *could* have been the wellspring of different faiths or it *could* have been an alien relic -- It could be all those things, but never sways toward one or the other. But I guess this is a topic for a different thread.

Dr.Jonesy

Matt deMille said:
On internet criticism: Damn right. It's too easy and too safe for people to spew their hatred online. I guess that's why guys like Lucas just don't listen. I wouldn't either. Making movies is tough enough.

On Indy V: You're right, Dr. Jonsey. It a fifth and final film should be something everyone can enjoy. I just hope it's not a religious artifact, because that would make KOTCS an oddball-out. What I wrote in my own script for Indy V is more ancient, pre-Atlantean, so it *could* have been the wellspring of different faiths or it *could* have been an alien relic -- It could be all those things, but never sways toward one or the other. But I guess this is a topic for a different thread.

Well think of it this way, Temple of Doom was the odd one out during the Original Trilogy days because of its McGuffin was Hindu related and nobody is familiar with their stories at all, but Last Crusade followed it up, and it was a film that went back to what worked, a Christian/Judaic relic.

For many fans, TOD is still the odd one out b/c the other 3 follow a formula (Intro, college scenes, McGuffin introduced, map travel shots, ect...). And for some fans KOTCS is the other odd one out for it's Sci-Fi angle. Once TOD was followed by a well received film, people became a bit more apologetic about the film. And for the fans who weren't happy with KOTCS, a return to what works could make those fans see KOTCS in a more favorable light.