Indiana Jones and the Disney Connection

Stoo

Now that this topic has been pretty much rendered obsolete by the recent acquisition, it's only fitting to re-post this conversation from the 7th-9th March, 2011.

What's eerie is that CNN International reported that the negotiations started "about a year & half ago". That would be right around March 2011!:eek: :eek: :eek:
Junior Jones said:
That being said however, there is one disparity that's specific to Star Tours and Indiana Jones. Disney hasn't "acquired" LucasFilm (yet).
Me said:
I honestly hope that never happens but who knows what lies in store after George Lucas passes away. (Knock on wood.)
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Disney tried to absorb his empire in 30 years time.
Pale Horse said:
By and Large, I don't think that would ever happen...

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Y'all should've just asked Violet. ;)
Erm, no. (With all due respect to Violet, of course). She was participating in this thread when it was being discussed but never commented.

Her post in the other thread came just over a full year later in March 2012.:p

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
Erm, no. (With all due respect to Violet, of course). She was participating in this thread when it was being discussed but never commented.

Her post in the other thread came just over a full year later in March 2012.:p

You were the first to warn us about this. I always assumed it was just a way to bring broader interest to the parks by creating attractions featuring two great movie franchises. I was shocked to see it happen and cannot believe Lucas is doing more Star Wars films after saying so many times the saga is over because the story of Anakin's life was complete. What a money hungry liar, he is just selling out the franchise for more dough. RotJ really wraps up the series perfectly with no loss ends, there is no reason to make more films other than cash. Many people fault the prequels but at least they brought something to the table by explaining how a man/government turns to evil.

As for the good doctor, who knows what will happen. Indy 5 may be pushed to the backburner and I really hope they don't try to revive the series with a new actor in the role (n)

Stoo warned us about this connection and now it is complete.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
dr.jones1986 said:
You were the first to warn us about this. I always assumed it was just a way to bring broader interest to the parks by creating attractions featuring two great movie franchises. I was shocked to see it happen and cannot believe Lucas is doing more Star Wars films after saying so many times the saga is over because the story of Anakin's life was complete. What a money hungry liar, he is just selling out the franchise for more dough. RotJ really wraps up the series perfectly with no loss ends, there is no reason to make more films other than cash. Many people fault the prequels but at least they brought something to the table by explaining how a man/government turns to evil.

I don't think it's unreasonable for Lucas to want to see to the company's future while he's able to do so, and in such a way that he can enjoy his retirement, pursuing other philanthropic or artistic projects. Isn't it better to ensure a succession he can be happy with? I know "money grab!" is an easy charge to make, but there's more to it than that. He didn't have to sell, and he's not keeping most of the money from the deal besides.

Despite Stoo's assertion to the contrary, I don't see that this thread has been "rendered obsolete." Perhaps the ownership argument has been rendered moot in the present, but there are at least some questions still on the table about the suitability of the match, likely not in the film arena (as films stand alone to an extent, and Lucasfilm will remain its own boutique label anyhow), but otherwise, predominantly the theme parks. There may also be some chance that the deal will affect the sorts of licensing agreements that are made.

dr.jones1986

Attila the Professor said:
I don't think it's unreasonable for Lucas to want to see to the company's future while he's able to do so, and in such a way that he can enjoy his retirement, pursuing other philanthropic or artistic projects. Isn't it better to ensure a succession he can be happy with? I know "money grab!" is an easy charge to make, but there's more to it than that. He didn't have to sell, and he's not keeping most of the money from the deal besides.

Despite Stoo's assertion to the contrary, I don't see that this thread has been "rendered obsolete." Perhaps the ownership argument has been rendered moot in the present, but there are at least some questions still on the table about the suitability of the match, likely not in the film arena (as films stand alone to an extent, and Lucasfilm will remain its own boutique label anyhow), but otherwise, predominantly the theme parks. There may also be some chance that the deal will affect the sorts of licensing agreements that are made.

I don't have a problem with him finding a line of succussession during his lifetime but allowing DIsney to make more movies just seems to cheapen the product. It will wind up like Bond or the super hero franchises, where they are just crankin em out every few years for a profit. He has been saying for years that the saga was complete with RotS. The six part saga told a very complete story and everything was wrapped up perfectly in RotJ. But Lucas can change his mind whenever he wants...he did it with Darth Maul in the cartoon show. I have heard him say the reason they had Maul cut in half was to show he was clearly dead and would not be coming back. Later he decides to bring back the character in The Clone Wars, so he could sell more Maul merchandise and create more reason for kids to want to see Episode I.

Many on this message board would say he already tarnished his legacy with KotCS and the SW prequels. While I think they are inferior to the original movies, I still enjoyed all of them. Lucas crated these series and characters and he could do whatever he wants with them. Films such as the original Star Wars and Raiders have not only become very popular but are also some of the greatest American films of all time, ranking high on list such as the ones put out by the American Film Institute. If he wants to allow the SW saga to continue beyond RotJ, even though these new films would have no connection to the life story of Anakin Skywalker than so be it. I just hope if we don't get Indy V with Harrison Ford as the man in the hat, than the series be left alone to become a part of American film history.

I am not against Disney and as I have posted previously on this message board, I always enjoyed the Lucasfilm franchises appearing in the parks. I have been to Walt Disney World many times and went to Disneyland last year. I love all of the Lucasfilm attractions, especially Temple of the Forbidden eye which is my favorite theme park ride. The queue alone is just epic for a fan of Indiana Jones. I just want to see classic film franchises treated as more than just a means to make a profit for a company that has no shortage of profitable franchises to begin with. Walt Disney himself didn't want certain films to have sequels after he died because he did not want to cheapen what he created.

Stoo

dr.jones1986 said:
Stoo warned us about this connection and now it is complete.
DISNEY: I've been waiting for you, George. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the customer. Now *I* am The Master!:eek:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
When I read that ILM were doing the visual effects for "Captain EO" in 1986, I found it interesting.

When I discovered this image today I found it horrifying:

CaptainEo.jpg

Until a few minutes ago I was blissfully ignorant of this unholy union. Now it will haunt me to my grave.

The Wacko monster will no doubt visit me in nightmares.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Until a few minutes ago I was blissfully ignorant of this unholy union.
Smiff, you never knew about "Captain EO" before? (That's OK if you didn't. I recently met with a European Raven member and he said, "I don't know much about Disney." In a certain way, I envy him.:p)

Subject matter (Wacko Jacko) aside: The positive aspect of, "Captian EO", is that at least it was something NEW and not a milking ca$h-in of a film series that Disney didn't produce. This particular Lucas/Disney collaboration produced something ORIGINAL. For that simple reason alone, it should be applauded.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Smiff, you never knew about "Captain EO" before?

I'd never heard of it.

Stoo said:
Subject matter (Wacko Jacko) aside: The positive aspect of, "Captian EO", is that at least it was something NEW and not a milking ca$h-in of a film series that Disney didn't produce. This particular Lucas/Disney collaboration produced something ORIGINAL. For that simple reason alone, it should be applauded.

Inspired by Captain VidEO?

Captain_EO_poster.jpg

CptVideo-1.jpg

Montana Smith said:
Until a few minutes ago I was blissfully ignorant of this unholy union. Now it will haunt me to my grave. The Wacko monster will no doubt visit me in nightmares.
You keep opening doors in Old Man Lucas' Mansion and you're bound to find some skeletons Scoob...!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Gotta love the intersweb sometimes

This is Disney and Indy gold!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HTBwpPCg0Z8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stick around for Myth #1.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
This may be the case now but can you name any Disney products (made BEFORE Indy entered its realm) that have blood & gore in them?

This is all "in the spirit of good fun discourse, of course", said The Horse.;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c33IQ4jxPT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a reply to an old request, but who cares, it's fun none the less.

WilliamBoyd8

I was in the Jungle Cruise line at Disney World in Florida and saw a live 2' long green snake in the bushes.

This was a real snake, not a Disney snake.

I knew it wasn't dangerous so I said nothing.

I figured it's Florida which has lots of snakes.

:)

Pale Horse

Staff member
If you loved that!

ACS9mzz.jpg

Now Santa is a Dark Lord of the Sith!

(They only deal in absolutes, naughty or nice)...

From Disneyworld.

micsteam

To all the naysayers out there about the Disney acquisition and now the new news that they've acquired the rights from Paramount for future IJ projects... this is really a good thing. Look I totally understand the perception that Indiana Jones is an individual's idea or a small group's idea that flourished into this big movie chain/following and that a corporation like Disney is just taking advantage and buying up (stealing some see it) an original idea and character for them to incorporate into their " Empire "to make money. Lucas was getting tired of being responsible, which he is, for how he handled, lately, his properties and hearing about it and defending himself. I feel he wanted out to a certain degree and what better company to buy his than Disney ?? What people don't get is Lucas didn't have to sell to anybody and if he wanted to he could choose whom he would. I'm sure Disney had been making offers for years, and not just recently I'm pretty positive he's been approached since the late 70's. Here's another aspect of this, Lucas is now a major shareholder with Disney as part of the negotiation ( as was John Lassiter from Pixar when Disney bought them and he's also a former employee)so basically if Lucas doesn't like what's going on he does have a say. The way things are rolling out for the next Star Wars movie by bringing on Lawrenece Kasdan (writer for Empire Strikes Back, Raiders, ROTJ) and J.J. Abrams and trying to get the original cast says Disney respects the franchise and what got it there and wants to get back to that. Now we have the latest news with Disney getting a deal done with Paramount, I think this is great news... it means we're going to get more Indiana Jones !! How Disney goes about it is speculation at best but anything is possible now, look at Disney's financial and productional resources !! Animation is possible but I feel that Indy is a fictional character set in our own recent history and I feel (strongly) that it should be live like the movies or YIJ Chronicles ( the only issue I had with YIJ was that young Indy was such a departure from Ford's Indy and as much as I did and still do I love the effort, production, and acting of YIJ Chronicles... had to get that off my chest). Here's my point, do you want the Indiana Jones Franchise (or however you want to term it ... Stoo ;) ) to rest in one individual's hands ( pending that person's schedule, life commitments, etc) or a major company that for the most part respects a franchise it incorporates and has almost limitless resources to keep producing more productions/stories of your favorite character ?? My opinion is this is a good thing.