10,000 Bc

AnthropologyFSU

Really cool looking movie... Saw the trailer before I Am Legend...

Official Plot Synopsis: It was a time when man and beast were untamed and the mighty mammoth roamed the earth. A time when ideas and beliefs were born that forever shaped mankind. 10,000 B.C. follows a young hunter (Steven Strait) on his quest to lead an army across a vast desert, battling saber tooth tigers and prehistoric predators as he unearths a lost civilization and attempts to rescue the woman he loves (Camilla Belle) from an evil warlord determined to possess her.

Here's a link to a trailer on YouTube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f-r6gx_cIE8

Last edited:

kongisking

Agree. Despite all the sh!t he gets, I'm a fan of Roland Emmerich's flicks, especially Day after Tomorrow and Stargate. This looks like a really promising popcorn flick worthy of Spielberg, and damn do those mammoths and tigers look cool! Can't wait...:cool:

AnthropologyFSU

kongisking said:
Agree. Despite all the sh!t he gets, I'm a fan of Roland Emmerich's flicks, especially Day after Tomorrow and Stargate. This looks like a really promising popcorn flick worthy of Spielberg, and damn do those mammoths and tigers look cool! Can't wait...:cool:

Ya, the mammoths look awesome..

monkey

Sounds like a great movie!

I had not heard of this movie until this thread.

10,000 B.C...........Lost Civilization.....

Just up my alley.

monkey

It would be hard to top "Quest for Fire".

That is one of the best films ever. And from an anthropological, historical perspective, was a very accurate representation of what we know about stone age man.

But I think these films would differ in that the time frame would be quite different. I think that "Quest" was supposed to take place a lot further back in time than 10,000 years B.C..

monkey said:
It would be hard to top "Quest for Fire".

That is one of the best films ever. And from an anthropological, historical perspective, was a very accurate representation of what we know about stone age man.

But I think these films would differ in that the time frame would be quite different. I think that "Quest" was supposed to take place a lot further back in time than 10,000 years B.C..

Yes, Quest For Fire was monosyllabic. They did a pretty good job with the make up,too. Pretty difficult to keep the audiences attention without dialogue for two hours but they succeeded.

monkey

Yes, I had forgotten that the movie had NO dialog at all.

That was a great challenge for the actors no doubt.

Really a classic.

Makes me want to watch it right now.

Too bad I don't have the DVD.

And I've got to say that one of my all time favorite scenes in that movie......indeed in any move ever.....is that early scene in Quest, where one of our stone age heroes rushes down to the river, commences to mating with his cave girl, .........and then, while in a rather 'compromising' position, ...the hostile tribe attacks.

It is both comical, and metaphorical, as our cave hero struggles with his differing emotions.

He knows he's got to run away.........but geez.........right now?

And then there's the scene near the end where he falls out of the tree and busts his head open.

Gosh I wish I could watch that movie right now!

Great film.

Michael24

I'm sure people with ***** about the characters speaking simple English at that point in history, but the visuals sure are stunning. My jaw dropped the first time I saw those mammoths.

Stargate and The Day After Tomorrow are the only Emmerich movies I've really liked, so I'm hoping this one is just as good. :)

Michael24 said:
I'm sure people with ***** about the characters speaking simple English at that point in history, but the visuals sure are stunning. My jaw dropped the first time I saw those mammoths.

Stargate and The Day After Tomorrow are the only Emmerich movies I've really liked, so I'm hoping this one is just as good. :)

Well since you've set your standards so low, I doubt this one will disappoint. ;)

Michael24

ResidentAlien said:
Well since you've set your standards so low, I doubt this one will disappoint. ;)

Well, I'll kinda give you The Day After Tomorrow. At the end of the day, it is a rather ridiculous film and basically not much more than an Al Gore commercial, but it's still a fun ride with some great special effects, and I can usually watch just about anything with Dennis Quaid in the lead. But Stargate rocks, and I find Emmerich has still yet to top it.

Katarn07

torao said:
Yeah, but that's about it. The rest looks horrible.

Agreed. And the mammoths really don't look that awesome. Basically after Jurassic Park, I don't think digitally created creatures are enough to wow audiences. A movie needs more substance than that alone. Look at the Star Wars prequels for an example of that....

As for Emmerich, I remember liking Stargate as a kid (I loved all things ancient Egypt) but haven't seen it ages. I had to be 7 or less when that came out so my memory of it all is hazy. I did get the action figures though! ID4 was awesome when I was in 4th grade, then I grew up and saw that it really isn't that great. I think it's still a great movie worth watching if you're younger than 15 but I can find better ways of wasting 2 hours nowadays.

Michael24 said:
Well, I'll kinda give you The Day After Tomorrow. At the end of the day, it is a rather ridiculous film and basically not much more than an Al Gore commercial, but it's still a fun ride with some great special effects, and I can usually watch just about anything with Dennis Quaid in the lead. But Stargate rocks, and I find Emmerich has still yet to top it.

Stargate. One of the 10 worst films I've ever seen. I often cite that as the core example of Hollywood masturbation.

Michael24

Oh, come on. How is it even close to being one of the worst films ever made? In a world with films like Corky Romano, Son of the Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Transformers, and Speed 2 you're really gonna lump Stargate into such a list? I mean, if you don't like it you don't like it, but come on.

Michael24 said:
Oh, come on. How is it even close to being one of the worst films ever made? In a world with films like Corky Romano, Son of the Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Transformers, and Speed 2 you're really gonna lump Stargate into such a list? I mean, if you don't like it you don't like it, but come on.

They're all standard, awful films, sure.

But they don't set the bar low with their own pompous incoherence. Stargate is a self-assured, incomprehensible mess.

roundshort

Michael24 said:

Dumb and Dumber is great! The rest I can do without, but We watch Dumb and Dumber every winter before one of our annual ski trips!

kongisking

ResidentAlien said:
Stargate. One of the 10 worst films I've ever seen. I often cite that as the core example of Hollywood masturbation.

WHA????????????? HOW DARE YOU!!! :mad: Stargate is an ass-kicker of a movie! A slaum-dunk of action, effects, intruiguing story, cool premise, nice characters and great one-liners, I can go on for days! I L-O-V-E Stargate...How dare you perform such blasphemous dislike! :rolleyes: ;)

Just jokin' there, Alien. But still...calling Stargate the cinematic equivalent of masturbation?!?!? I don't know whether to laugh like made or somberly shake my head with sadness...