Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD films

Michael24

I looked through the thread before asking, but must have missed it if it was noted. But thanks for the link. :)

T.E.Lawrence

Matinee Idyll said:
A scene where Indy is reading a letter from Ned "This is a war that has to be fought..." was cut from Curse of the Jackal. It's probably for the best, sounds less like he's just Neds parrot when he's talking to Remy later.

I am missing that line so much in the new versions. It is the first time where Henry will coin the term "The Alternative is Unthinkable" from the Ned's letter. Later he will use it few times idealisticly to rationalize his involvment in the Great War. Now it sounds that it is his own line but I think it would be much better that they have left it so you have a much better sense of Indy's naivete. It was such a beutiful touch and I was so sad because that was a crucial line - I don't have a problem with other changes though. Altough line "don't forget me" from the Curse of the Jackal also has great weight.

Peacock's-Eye

Is it just me, but in the Pancho Villa episode: didn't Indy originally read a letter from TE Lawrence about the Great War being "the war that above all must be fought & won"? And then he quotes it to Remy at the end. In the DVD, I believe the first scene is missing, undercutting the comedy & drama of the pay off.

Am I right?

T.E.Lawrence

Peacock's-Eye said:
Is it just me, but in the Pancho Villa episode: didn't Indy originally read a letter from TE Lawrence about the Great War being "the war that above all must be fought & won"? And then he quotes it to Remy at the end. In the DVD, I believe the first scene is missing, undercutting the comedy & drama of the pay off.

Am I right?

Yes as we discussed the scene with the letter and Ned's voice has been cuted.

Peacock's-Eye

Sorry, missed that. This is an epic thread!

So far, that's the only cut I really hate.
And the rats crawling over the battlefield after Verdun - I miss that powerful image.

Flannery10

Peacock's-Eye said:
Sorry, missed that. This is an epic thread!

So far, that's the only cut I really hate.
And the rats crawling over the battlefield after Verdun - I miss that powerful image.

It's still in the re-edits, but in a different place. But I prefered the original, with Old Indy explaining what happened after the Battle of Verdun.

Stoo

Vienna, November 1908/Perils of Cupid - 1

The closing shot of Sophie on her bed staring at Indy?s gift has been removed.
The re-edit uses it partially in the vision Indy has on the train during the linking
segment to "Florence".

Stoo

Travels With Father Bookends (Princeton, June 1919)/Winds of Change - Part 2

TalonCard said:
Don't worry too much over it--the Travels with Father bookends were edited together with new footage to create a brand new episode, which was then joined with another episode as Winds of Change for the DVDs. I still haven't seen that one, but supposedly the scenes with Indy, Nancy, and Henry Sr. are all more or less intact...
Even though the bookends for ?Travels With Father? were only about 11 mins. total,
it?s disheartening to discover that + 1:45 mins. were cut for the DVD. What?s missing?

----
The LOGO, the GREAT MUSIC & several shots of the New York harbor sequence:

9 secs.
Aerial fly-by of Statue of Liberty with ship and Manhattan in the background.
(The new one is different and the beautiful opening music w/logo is gone!:mad: )
7 secs.
Close-up of Indy alone on deck worriedly looking over the rail-side toward home.
7 secs.
Another close-up of Indy at the rail.
2 secs.
Large group of ship passengers waving their hats.
6 secs.
Direct, side shot of ship with Manhattan skyline in the background.
6 secs.
Tugboats pushing ship toward pier.
4 secs.
Large group of people whistling & waving on landing dock (Pier 37).
6 secs.
Indy coming down the gangway. He stops and hestitates , then smiles before continuing.

Because of the new love story with Amy, the parts with Indy returning home alone are gone. Shame, since they make it a much more sad & effective scene.
Flanery?s acting is great in this shot. The look on his face really evokes the anxiety and apprehension Indy must feel, knowing he?ll soon face his father.
Here he is, having been through so much, returning home all alone, with no one to greet him. The original is deeper. The anticipation of reuniting with his
father gets watered down in the DVD. Although brief, the missing parts & music create more tension than all the pertaining dialogue in ?Winds of Change?.

----
4 secs.
Nancy looks back at Indy as she continues her walk. Deleted!
Shot of the Jones' house. Deleted!

----
7 secs.
In both versions, immediately after Indy puts down the photo of his mother, it cuts to father & son?s 1st dinner.
In the original, Henry Sr. takes a spoonful of greens from a dish and puts it on his plate. Immersed in his book
in complete silence, he puts the spoon back in the dish.

The DVD has Henry just eating/reading and the lid is on the dish. Watch when Indy says, ?It?s good to be home?.
The dish is uncovered and near his plate. Good to know Junior is eating his veggies! Anyway, the above shot is gone.

(In Travels With Father, this shot is followed immediately by the ?apology/Athens conversation scene?
so, until now, I hadn?t noticed that their clothes changed in the middle of the scene.:) )

----
Parts of the dinner conversations are also missing from ?Winds of Change?. They?ve been rearranged & patched up
using some editing tricks and audio overdubs. Here?s a comparison (overdubs in bold italics):

Winds of Change DVD
Indy: You?re just mad ?cause I left for the war without discussing it with you.
Henry Sr.: That subject is closed.
Indy: It?s true. Why can?t you admit it? You?re still mad at me and you?re going to go on being mad at me, aren?t you?
You?re never going to let it go!

Indy?s lips don?t match the dialogue so this is an obvious overdub. What does he originally say that Henry Sr.
refuses to discuss? Since this part is not in the TwF bookends, the hidden line is a mystery. If not the war,
what could this sensitive subject have been? Any lip-readers out there who can figure it out?

----
Travels With Father
Indy: Father, there?s something I?d like to say. I?d like to apologize?for going off to the war in Europe without telling you.
Henry Sr.: We will not discuss it further.

Winds of Change DVD
Indy: Father, there?s something I?d like to say. I?d like to apologize?about the other night. Things I said, the way I acted.
I was way out of line and I?m sorry. Guess that?s it.
Henry Sr.: We will not discuss it further.

----
Travels With Father
Henry Sr.: We?d gone to Greece, if I remember, straight after our visit to Russia.
Indy: That?s right.
Henry Sr.: Where you ran away.
Indy: No?yeah?I guess I?d run away?Why was that, though, I ? that I ran away? I don?t really recall?
Henry Sr.: I recall perfectly. We were staying in the country with some friends of mine who very kindly invited us
to their daughter?s wedding?Except you took into your head to disregard the rules of correct behaviour?
(Dissolve to the dancing/wedding reception in Russia)
(Dissolve from the father & son hugging in Greece)
Indy: It was the only time I could ever remember you actually hugged me?and it felt great.
That was the best time I ever had with you. For awhile there, just?just for that moment,
you really were my dad.

Winds of Change DVD
Henry Sr.: We?d gone to Greece, if I remember, straight after our visit to Russia and we got stuck in the monastery?s wooden lift.
Indy: That?s right. Best time I ever had with you. When we finally escaped up the rope I remember you picked me up and just
held me really tight
It was the only time I could ever remember you actually hugged me?and it felt great. For awhile there, just?
just for that moment, you really were my dad.

2 secs.
Indy saying, ?Father, there?s...? (there?s something I?d like to say)
(DVD has a view of the house at night.)
3 secs.
Henry Sr. acknowledges Indy?s apology with a slight nod of the head. (Longer cut which precedes ?We will not discuss it further.?
This is when Indy says ?for going off to the war in Europe without telling you.?)
4 secs.
?What more is there to say?? close-up on Henry Sr. is gone!
(Replaced by an over-the-shoulder shot with a new delivery by Lloyd Owen.)
2 secs.
Shot of Henry Sr. reacting when Indy says, ?We never have been.?
(Replaced by a longer shot of Indy.)
2 secs.
Shot of Henry Sr. saying, ?In Athens??
(Replaced by a longer shot of Indy.)
31 secs.
Henry Sr.'s segue into the Russian episode
2 secs.
A shot of Henry Sr. trying to look at his son but flicking his eyes down in shame.
2 secs.
Indy saying, ?That was the? (best time I ever had with you.)

and finally...
----
4 secs.
Shot of a girl in white dress & man walking by the Jones' house. Car front right. Deleted!

Other shots lasted a few seconds longer. Won?t say much about them other than there's
certainly a lot to mention for just over 10 minutes of footage!:dead:

Marionfan706

Raiders cut scenes

I only really know of 1 deleted scene in Raiders and thats right before indy leaves and marion and indy kiss! I wish i could've scene that!!!:whip:

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
The LOGO, the GREAT MUSIC & several shots of the New York harbor sequence:

Could you post a screencap of the logo? I've been particularly curious of what the original TV movies' logos looked like.

Stoo

"Travels With Father" Bookends Screencaps

Adamwankenobi said:
Could you post a screencap of the logo? I've been particularly curious of what the original TV movies' logos looked like.
I recall you asking about the correct TV movie titles in another thread (presumably to update the Wiki)
but can't find it. So, to answer that:

Young Indiana Jones Travels With Father
Young Indiana Jones Attack of the Hawkmen
The Young Indiana Jones Treasure of the Peacock's Eye
Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies

Made some screencaps and made 'em in spades! I should've started doing this at the beginning of the thread!:mad:
I also noticed a bunch of other cut stuff so the next ones will be illustrated w/screenshots for viewing pleasure.:D

Title with different, opening fly-by. Hard to believe the music here was dropped!:

TravelsFather_Comp01_Small.jpg

Anxious Indy on deck alone. Much more powerful scene this way. 2 shots:

TravelsFather_Comp02_Small.jpg

Cut harbour shots:

TravelsFather_Comp03_Small.jpg

Indy on gangway alone with dissolve to Princeton street before meeting Nancy:

TravelsFather_Comp04_Small.jpg

Nancy looking back and deleted house exteriors:

TravelsFather_Comp05_Small.jpg

Missing dinner shot. (I thought the bowl had veggies but it looks like green gelatin. Mmmmm, Jell-O!):

TravelsFather_Comp06_Small.jpg

Stoo

Palestine, October 1917/Daredevils of the Desert

About a minute of footage has been cut from "Daredevils".

Even though the opening battle at Gaza was extended from a mere 40 secs. to over 4 minutes, several bits never made it to VHS/DVD.
Almost all of the shots in the original version are from “The Lighthorseman” and have suffered either one of the following fates:

-flipped, mirror-fashion
-moved to the end battle (sometimes flipped/mirrored)
-earlier/later take of same shot used (sometimes flipped/mirrored)
-binocular contour plate removed

Some of them are:
-Opening 2 shots of cannons firing. 1st one is flipped, 2nd is gone or moved.
-A long shot of advancing infantry with explosions going off around them. (A later take of this is used but it's been mirrored/flipped.)
-There’s also a shot of a Turk machine-gunner alongside a trench firing w/an explosion in background. (Moved to final battle & mirrored.)

The following have been either deleted entirely or replaced:

(2 secs.) Advance of British w/tank and soldier in front falling over from explosion. Deleted.

1917_Palestine_Cut_01GazaSoldier.jpg

(4.5 secs.) A shot behind sandbags of an explosion going off & blowing away. Replaced. (Not from "The Lighthorseman".)

1917_Palestine_Cut_02GazaExplosion.jpg

(4 secs.) A burning/smoldering Mark IV tank with dead soldiers lying around. Deleted. (Not from "The Lighthorseman".)

1917_Palestine_Cut_03GazaTank.jpg

(6 secs.) Bird through binoculars is different and has been replaced. The new one has a soaring hawk or eagle.
The original has a very, tiny bird perched on a rock. You can barely seen him in this screencap but he’s there.

1917_Palestine_Cut_04Bird.jpg

(5 secs.) Missing shot of Indy looking away embarrassed for his Aussie friends when they are insulted by the British soldiers in the bar.
It ends the scene and there is no argument that leads to the rugby game. It dissolves directly to the scene of the beach at sunset.

1917_Palestine_Cut_05BarIndy.jpg

(5 secs.) Missing shot of Indy playing with his knife and putting it away when the Aussies ask him for rabbit dinner. He says something
but my version is in Austrian-German and I can’t tell what he is saying. It could be this off-screen dialogue from the VHS/DVD:

Indy: Well, I got a long ride across the desert. Next time we meet, though, drinks will be on me.

1917_Palestine_Cut_06KnifeIndy.jpg

(7 secs.) Missing sand twister shot. (The shot of the moon has been moved to just before the new sequence of Indy & Maya reaching the ravine.)
This part comes just before Indy is disguising himself as an Arab & meets Maya for the 1st time.

1917_Palestine_Cut_07Twister.jpg

(15 secs.) Deleted zoom-out of Indy’s camel pulling Maya's as they ascend a sand dune.

1917_Palestine_Cut_08Camel.jpg

(5 secs.) Indy getting thrown in jail! CUT!! Why?!?

1917_Palestine_Cut_09Jail.jpg

fommes

(5 secs.) Missing shot of Indy playing with his knife and putting it away when the Aussies ask him for rabbit dinner. He says something
but my version is in Austrian-German and I can?t tell what he is saying.

He says:
"I don't think so. Riding out."

IAdventurer01

Notes of these cuts are interesting and I find it perhaps a little disappointed that some were made, I must say as someone who was too young to remember them when they were first on TV and really only watching through them for the first time now, I have not felt that anything was missing from any of them.

(thus far, I'm still on the War Years)

Stoo

*BUMP*

This page is image-heavy as it is and I'm going to upload some more so this is simply a tactic to fill up the rest and bring it over to the next page.

Apologizing in advance for the double-post.;)

Last edited:

Stoo

D'oh, it's going to be a TRIPLE POST!:eek:

When the Old Indy Chronicles are finished, I'm going to put up some of the cutscenes on YouTube for all to see. Top priorities will be "Princeton 1916" (since it has the most missing) and the beginning of "Travels With Father" (as seen above).