The Mummy series

Raiders90

I don't see why they bumped the time-line up so far though. I mean
the first film takes place in 1923 (and 1926); the second takes place in 1933; this one takes place in 1946. That leaves little room for the main characters (Rick and Evelyn) to go on further adventures. Wouldn't they have to be in at least their 40s by this new adventure?

SPOILERS.............................

It looks like THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR is close to wrapping up its principal photography according to the latest blog from director Rob Cohen.

As you can see from the new video from Todd Grossman, the production of ?The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor? is enshrouded in nights but just around the corner lies the light of day and the airport. We have two more long nights on the Shanghai streets and four days in ?IMHOTEP?S,? Jonathan?s Egyptian-Deco nightclub on The Bund. (You haven?t lived till you see John Hannah in a bright blue brocade tux!)

Yes, it is that time when the long process is behind me and a new half of the production lies ahead?the post: editing, 700 visual effects shots, sound design, music, mixing and setting the final look in the digital intermediate. This second half of the process will be as pressured as the first half since I must turn over the finished movie in early July so that thousands of prints can get struck in time to ship to our worldwide openings.

The film stars Brendan Fraser, Maria Bello, Jet Li, John Hannah, Michelle Yeoh, Anthony Wong, Luke Ford and Isabella Leong.

Plot Concept: Jet Li plays a despotic Emperor in 50 B.C. whose evil is punished by a terrible curse laid on him by wizardress Michelle Yeoh: he and his army are turned into to terra cotta for all time; that is, unless he is re-awakened which, of course, is where the O'Connells come back into it.

The story moves to the year 1946. When we find them, Rick (Brendan Fraser) and Evelyn (Maria Bello) are retired to Oxfordshire, England, having been spies for the British during World War II. They are bored silly and welcome the offer of "one last mission" from the Foreign Office. Their assignment: courier a precious artifact back to the museum in Shanghai, China from which it was stolen.

Back to Asia: China is in turmoil but Jonathan (John Hannah) owns an Egyptian-themed bar in Shanghai. Unbeknownst to his parents, now grown-up Alex O'Connell (Luke Ford) is following in the family business as a young archaeologist on a dig in north-central China. He makes the discovery of a lifetime: the tomb of the Dragon Emperor, which has been buried for millennia. A beautiful assassin (Isabella Leong) tries to kill him to keep the location secret but Alex prevails. The Emperor's monument is transported back to Shanghai where another plot is in motion: military zealot Anthony Wong intends to awaken the Emperor and aid him in the re-conquest of China and the raising of his terra cotta army of ten thousand clay warriors.

THE MUMMY: TOMB OF DRAGON EMPEROR hits theaters August 1, 2008

------------------------------------------------

ANOTHER SPOILER:

Isn't there a rumor that Indy worked for the OSS as a spy during WW2?

Blue Jay

just saw the new poster of the mummy 3 on iesb.net

mummiacopy.jpg

pretty cool :)

i am really looking forward to this movie.

Deckard

Cool poster, I hope the movie isn't too crazy. The first was cool and I even liked the second but the 2nd felt a little over the top.

fixer79

Mmm... Not a big fan of that poster... I thought they already had a teaser poster, the one with the Mortal Kombat-like logo...

Shouldn't the final poster feature Fraser and the others like on the other films' posters?
mummy-poster-0.jpg

200px-Mummyreturnsposter.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if it'd turn out to be fanmade...
MARK MY WORDS!
:p

Also, what's the deal with this?

mummy3.jpg

Has anyone seen this before? fanart too, no doubt, but I quite like the idea...

Blue Jay

rob cohen stated on his blog that this new poster is just a TEASER.
so i think we can expect a character poster in the new future :)

fixer79

Blue Jay said:
rob cohen stated on his blog that this new poster is just a TEASER.
so i think we can expect a character poster in the new future :)

Aha... Thanks for the info, Jay!

Can't wait to see the final poster! :D

Deckard

Cool, I was wondering this myself, any word on when we'll get a trailer?

BTW, does anyone else thing there could be alot of Indiana Jones and the Emporer's Tomb inspiration going into this film?

MarxBrosFan

I haven't seen The Mummy Returns since it was in theaters, but I remember I didn't like how they connected the two main characters to Imhotep's and Anack sunamun's past. It felt contrived and unnecessary. I'd see it again but I doubt I will like it that much.

-Jones-

Rob Cohen, director of the upcoming sequel "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," told SCI FI Wire that the low-key marketing of the film will ramp up with the release of the first trailer in June - but not a moment sooner.

"The trailers that Universal cut have a lot of the most complicated visual effects, and there is so much more in the movie," said Cohen. "But this is something they want to focus on, and I don't want it out before those effects are finished."

Despite the film's fast-approaching August 1st release date, Cohen said he isn't concerned that the film is still off the summer radar. "We have an audience that knows the name, and we're not trying to create audience recognition from ground zero. I think if we have a solid couple of months to advertise, no one will miss it. [Audiences] will have made up their minds, but I don't want them to make up their minds on incomplete work."

Talking about the third installment in the franchise, Cohen said: "The whole approach is different. The sets are bigger, and they are less digital. It builds on the legacy, but it's a very different movie."

Indy 4 marketing campaign rip-off anyone?

Zorg

That teaser poster is very nice. Just recently saw The Mummy Returns on TV, and it wasn't half bad. The first one was better, obviously, but the sequel was good fun too.

It's a funny coincidence (or is it?) that The Mummy should return the same year Indy does... ;)

-Jones-

Director Rob Cohen has updated his official blog, stating that the trailer for the upcoming "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" movie will become available on Friday, May 16th at 9pm PST.

"I'm really stoked, and I think the trailer guys at Universal (led by Frank Chiocchi) did a great job," said Cohen. "It will make its US debut in theaters May 16th with prints of Prince Caspian, and will make its international debut on prints of Indiana Jones on May 22th. I'm really looking forward to your reaction. So crank up the sound and view it full screen as soon as you can!!"

kongisking

-Jones- said:
Director Rob Cohen has updated his official blog, stating that the trailer for the upcoming "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" movie will become available on Friday, May 16th at 9pm PST.

"I'm really stoked, and I think the trailer guys at Universal (led by Frank Chiocchi) did a great job," said Cohen. "It will make its US debut in theaters May 16th with prints of Prince Caspian, and will make its international debut on prints of Indiana Jones on May 22th. I'm really looking forward to your reaction. So crank up the sound and view it full screen as soon as you can!!"

Cool! Rick with Indy in the same theater screening! Two classic action heroes for the price of one! Sweet!

fixer79

Well, THAT knocked my socks off!
Very promising!
:)

Although they did show an awful lot in there... This is more than a teaser...

kongisking

I am in love. That trailer was SO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Here we go again!"

"Ha! Ha! Ha! Why am I laughing?!?"
-Rick O'Connell

"I hate mummies! They never play fair!"
-Jonathan Carnahan

"These are the good undead guys, right?"
-Rick O'Connell

"Good going, Dad. You raised another Mummy!"
-Alex O'Connell

I'm lovin' it!