General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Raiders90

Here's my big worries about a potential reboot:

1) That Disney will decide to set the reboot in the present.
Look at the new Zorro reboot; it's being reinvented as a post-apocalyptic story set in the future. I worry Disney will decide to jettison the 1920s-1950s range of time and just go straight to today's world, reinventing Indy as played by Chris Pratt as a modern-day adventurer.

2) That Disney will get the 1930s-1940s wrong.
Part of the charm of the Indy films is that they look and feel generally period appropriate. The lush tones of Last Crusade recall the Technicolor of the late 1930s; KOTCS purposely went for a 50s film sheen; All of the original 4 movies are very period appropriate, both in terms of manner of other characters and the attire etc. They're as perfect as period films as they are as adventure films. I worry an Indy done by Disney won't "get" the era right, or understand the genre antecedents to Indy/which inspired it.

3) That Disney will attempt to artifically "diversify" the cast/be politically correct
While I'm all for a minority character if the character has merit and is written well, I'm not for characters being minorities just to fill some random political correctness quota. Part of the fun of Indy is that it isn't politically correct. Feminists today would HATE Willie, would pillory Marion for falling in love with Indy; would have a fit that a woman was shown to be a Nazi sympathizer; Social Justice types would have a fit that the only African characters in the cast were pirates. Not only that, but would Disney ever make a film as daring or unpolitically correct as ToD? Would they dare to show Nazis or Soviets as bad guys? That's treading on being politically incorrect.

"This is 2015, the Cold War is over - we can't show Russians in any villainous or negative way, think of the international turmoil it could stir up! China makes most of our products here at Disney - No Chinese gangsters in our Indy film! Nazis are just too un-politically correct to even touch in a movie! It has to be a family friendly adventure romp to sell toys and promote our theme parks! Nazis make people automatically think of the Holocaust - we can't have that associated with our toy line.

We can't show Indy fighting someone and having blood on him or the other guy being bloodied! If he fights, it has to be clean, no scuffs or scrapes on he or the bad guy- think of the children in the audience! We can't show a heart being ripped out or a man aging rapidly or a woman being disintegrated - Our focus groups show us that such won't go over well with our target audience!

Indy needs a token black friend or else the franchise will be deemed racist. The next Indy girl needs to be strong, empowered, and smart - smarter than Indy. She can't fall for him - Indy has to fall for her!

The artifact in the new Indy movie can't be religious or particular to any one religion, because then we'll be offending audiences of other faiths. If the Ark of the Covenant is real, what does that say to the Buddhists of the world? The Atheists? If the Holy Grail is real, what does that say to Muslims and Jews? We can't have Indy go looking for a religious artifact - that's too politically incorrect
!"

4) That their Indy will be either too light or too dark, and will be shallow.
Look at their Marvel movies - fun, but very goofy. That's what I've seen of Disney doing action films as of late. The heroes are a bit on the goofy side or are extreme caricatures (Tony Stark is a barrel of snarky laughs, Captain America is a laughable goody-two-shoes stuck in an innocent past).

Or, they could take Indy and Nolanize it, going way too far into the ponderous and dark; making an Indy film akin to the Craig Bond's - dark, overly serious, overly brooding.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
Here's my big worries about a potential reboot:

1) That Disney will decide to set the reboot in the present.
2) That Disney will get the 1930s-1940s wrong.
3) That Disney will attempt to artifically "diversify" the cast/be politically correct
4) That their Indy will be either too light or too dark, and will be shallow.

The only concern I share is that they may soften the tone by reducing the number of fights, shootouts and deaths compared to the original movies, in order to make the reboot more age appropriate to their target audience.

The rest is just pure speculation on your part.

TheFedora

Part of what I think will happen is they will try for the strategy they are going for with Indiana Jones.Disney realizes that it has two mega-franchises but they want to get The Force Awakens running first, then figure out indy. To them probably Indy is the property that is considered they will do something with eventually but not now...Which is a shame I think. They should do something with him soon, Ford's not getting any younger...

But when we do get another Indy I hope Disney goes all out with marketing. Cartoons, toys, kids books thats what im saying.

IndyForever

Disney will not gamble on another Indy without Ford I am certain of that & they (thankfully) will not be able to use Pratt either due to franchise fatigue (GOG + JP).

So Disney need to get moving in early 2016 once the massive box office numbers for TFA are rolling in Indy will become a priority as EP8 is underway & they can focus on Indy 5.

If Speilberg/Lucas really want to make it they can get the story done by mid 2016 then get it filming in late 2016.

IF they really want to that is. I think Lucas will play ball he seems a little more laid back recently.

IndyForever said:
Disney will not gamble on another Indy without Ford I am certain of that & they (thankfully) will not be able to use Pratt either due to franchise fatigue (GOG + JP).

So Disney need to get moving in early 2016 once the massive box office numbers for TFA are rolling in Indy will become a priority as EP8 is underway & they can focus on Indy 5.

If Speilberg/Lucas really want to make it they can get the story done by mid 2016 then get it filming in late 2016.

IF they really want to that is. I think Lucas will play ball he seems a little more laid back recently.

It's been stated Indy5 Will be released in 2018, that's the date, so you can guaranty they want Harrison in it alongside the new younger version, apparently it's going to switch back from 1933 and 1967, hopefully Harrison will be in longer then the new incarnation.

Z dweller said:
Really? What's the source for those dates?

Steven Spielberg him self mentioned it in recent interviews, Also when there was a QA at the Comic con this year, Harrison went into a few ideas that have been thrown on the table. When asked Indy related questions. The 2018 date is Set in stone now.

Disney won't delay more with it 73 now Harry, they need to start now.

Duaner

Túrin Turambar said:
Steven Spielberg him self mentioned it in recent interviews, Also when there was a QA at the Comic con this year, Harrison went into a few ideas that have been thrown on the table. When asked Indy related questions. The 2018 date is Set in stone now.

Can you provide a link to this story?

Randy_Flagg

http://news.yahoo.com/tom-hanks-and-steven-spielberg-on-indiana-jones-172410098.html

Steven Spielberg is keen to make Indiana Jones 5 — even if it puts Tom Hanks and Harrison Ford in competition for “actor who’s made the most Spielberg movies.” In an exclusive conversation about their new film Bridge of Spies, director Spielberg and star Hanks shared stories about the movies they’ve made and speculated about their next collaboration.

“We’ve gotta figure this out because now, Tom is tied with Harrison Ford: Harrison and I did four movies, Tom and I have done four movies,” Spielberg explained. “Now I’ll probably do an Indy 5 with Harrison, [so] it’ll be five for Harrison, four for Tom.”

Fortunately for Hanks, Spielberg has plans to reconcile this imbalance. After the next Indiana Jones, he said, “I’ve got to make another one with Tom, that’ll be five for Tom, five for Harrison. And I think I’m going to leapfrog that way for the rest of my career. With Daniel Day-Lewis in everything else!”

Plans for Indiana Jones 5 were confirmed by producer Kathleen Kennedy in May, though she specified there was no timeline and “we haven’t started working on a script yet.” Spielberg’s quote suggests that both he and Harrison Ford are on board for the sequel, though neither has officially said as much.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Randy_Flagg said:
Plans for Indiana Jones 5 were confirmed by producer Kathleen Kennedy in May, though she specified there was no timeline and “we haven’t started working on a script yet.”

This is certainly a stretch. plans...confirmed? (not calling Randy out, just the article's journalist)

Randy_Flagg

I agree that the article is hardly any kind of confirmation of anything, but I just thought it was interesting that, as of so recently, Spielberg is still talking about doing Indy 5 with Harrison.

IndyForever

Randy_Flagg said:
http://news.yahoo.com/tom-hanks-and-steven-spielberg-on-indiana-jones-172410098.html

Steven Spielberg is keen to make Indiana Jones 5 ? even if it puts Tom Hanks and Harrison Ford in competition for ?actor who?s made the most Spielberg movies.? In an exclusive conversation about their new film Bridge of Spies, director Spielberg and star Hanks shared stories about the movies they?ve made and speculated about their next collaboration.

?We?ve gotta figure this out because now, Tom is tied with Harrison Ford: Harrison and I did four movies, Tom and I have done four movies,? Spielberg explained. ?Now I?ll probably do an Indy 5 with Harrison, [so] it?ll be five for Harrison, four for Tom.?

Fortunately for Hanks, Spielberg has plans to reconcile this imbalance. After the next Indiana Jones, he said, ?I?ve got to make another one with Tom, that?ll be five for Tom, five for Harrison. And I think I?m going to leapfrog that way for the rest of my career. With Daniel Day-Lewis in everything else!?

Plans for Indiana Jones 5 were confirmed by producer Kathleen Kennedy in May, though she specified there was no timeline and ?we haven?t started working on a script yet.? Spielberg?s quote suggests that both he and Harrison Ford are on board for the sequel, though neither has officially said as much.

That quote is good news Spielberg would not say that unless he was serious about it he never jokes about things like that & I doubt Yahoo would publish it. Spielberg also says the exact same quote in the video hit play on the page he says in front of Tom Hanks & an audience he will probably direct Harrison in Indy 5 (y)

Pale Horse said:
This is certainly a stretch. plans...confirmed? (not calling Randy out, just the article's journalist)
Go watch the first video on that link Spielberg really does say he will probably direct Harrison he is not joking about it either its pretty matter of fact after he jokes about them filming with Tom Hanks another movie to make it 5 with him. But the Indy 5 part sound legit enough the way Spielberg says it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn

Staff member
I can't believe I just watched through all that to get to the bit, but to save the rest of you the time... it's here, starting at around 37:50, for all who wanna evaluate it. (And thanks to the poster above for not putting up the stamp. Dick.)

There's definitely some horseplay involved with that answer, but how much... well, I guess all that depends on how much one is clinging to hope.

Randy_Flagg

I kind of wanted to hear Steven's response to Hank's question about if he could play the bad guy. Tom Hanks as an Indy villain could either be ingenious, or the worst casting ever... I haven't decided yet.

Hanselation

Steven Spielberg: “I’ve got to make another one with Tom, that’ll be five for Tom, five for Harrison. And I think I’m going to leapfrog that way for the rest of my career."

Because of the sense of the marked sentence you see, he is just joking about endless discussions about the "next Indiana Jones-Movie thing". Even if he will do Indy 5, he will be asked what's about Indiana Jones 6 as it was after Last Crusade about Indy 4. That means GOING TO LEAPFROG.
So this is no news about Indy 5!

Last edited: