Uncharted: The Games

Le Saboteur

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I won't be able to afford the game for awhile. All of that keeping up with it during these last few months was for naught!

Dude it's only sixty bucks! That's a week's worth of eating out; surely you can forgo Jack in the Box for a week, right? ;) To think that I didn't sell my second copy on e-bay...

Do I dare suggest forgoing beer for a week? Well, you can always check this out to get you in the mood for Brutal Legend while you're waiting!

Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu is where Amy Hennig got most of her source material from for the backstory to "Among Thieves", so if you want to read up on it, give it a whirl. I've got it on the shelf, and the few pages that I've read so far are quite intriguing.

Nathan Drake: a cat burglar? :cool:

Trennas

Sixty bucks can be a lot of money to someone. It used to be to me before I had a steady job, but now I can easily afford it.

Good news though, I picked up my pre-ordered special edition (it's not as cool as the Fortune Hunter edition, but still:p) yesterday and have just finished the first two chapters. Won't say what they are to prevent spoilers, but it's a lot of fun. Two gameplay elements spring to mind. The first being the much better stealthy play which just gives you a lot more options, and the second is that you probably won't spend much time on your own this time around, but will be accompanied by one of the other characters.

And I actually loved the heist. Very cool. Reminds me of Topkapi :)

Ska said:
Is it sad to be 28 years old and excited to play this game?
Hey, I'm 28 as well, and just got it today... can't wait to get off of work and finally play this sucker over my beamer!!! I am exciting about this since it was announced, and my excitement only grew (ahem) over the last months of gameplay videos and previews.

Trennas

I'm nearly 27 and giddy as a schoolboy about this :p

So no, not sad, it just means you have good taste in games :cool:

Trennas

Stupid as it may sound coming from an Indy fan; I'd much rather see another Uncharted game than an Indiana Jones one (unless it was really really really good :p) But the boys and girls at Naughty Dog should just keep doing their thing with their own franchise. Besides, I did spot a few Indiana Jones references in Among Thieves here and there ;)

Actually pretty far in the game now! I was sick this weekend so I had plenty of time to stay in bed and play my ass off. So far it has been one great adrenaline rush of epic proportions. Really, I think I never expressed so many "THIS IS INSANE!!!" lines while playing any other game. The madness, chaos and suspense just keep coming and I'm loving every bit of it :)

MaverickKing

Had an argument with a friend today. She thought that Uncharted was a 100% rip-off of Tomb Raider, but that Tomb Raider was in no way inspired by Indiana Jones.

Then she said that Lara Croft would kick Indiana Jones's ass. Which is just plain WRONG.

Le Saboteur

Trennas said:
Stupid as it may sound coming from an Indy fan; I'd much rather see another Uncharted game than an Indiana Jones one (unless it was really really really good :p)

I wouldn't call that a stupid sentiment; for all the work that was alleged to have gone into seeking out that "perfect" MacGuffin, Kingdom was a bitter pill to swallow. As I've said before: It took 'em twenty years to come up with that? Balderdash. With a modicum of actual research and interest in the subject, Amy Hennig & Co. have managed to come up with a far more interesting situations to put Drake in a shorter amount of time. Part 3 sounds awesome, too! Unfortunately it was just a few ideas, and I cannot share anything.

Otherwise, we have the exact same sentiments! I'm really digging how Among Thieves isn't completely 'realtime.' Lots to fill in!

Le Saboteur

MaverickKing said:
Had an argument with a friend today. She thought that Uncharted was a 100% rip-off of Tomb Raider, but that Tomb Raider was in no way inspired by Indiana Jones.

Then she said that Lara Croft would kick Indiana Jones's ass. Which is just plain WRONG.

And you still call her a friend? :eek:

How did this "friend" quantify this argument? Not only is it wrong, but a dangerous bit of thinking. Somehow Mlle. Croft was created from whole cloth, and Drake was cobbled out of the remnants? Amazing. You can also remind your friend that despite a bevy of pretty artwork, Mlle. Croft hasn't had an enjoyable game since "The Last Revelation".

The movies were enjoyable, but still needed work.

Trennas

Even IF (and I very much disagree there) the Uncharted games were a 100% rip of Tomb Raider, it would still have ten times the quality and production values of lady Croft's entire gaming oeuvre.

The differences between the franchises are simply enormous. Let's start with.. oh, I dunno.. character depth and development (unless you view Lara's polygon breast enlargements and reductions as something like that), an actual story, a well done control scheme, a camera that doesn't bug the crap out of you every time you take a turn, the fact that Uncharted is clearly more action oriented than Tomb Raider, etc, etc.

Sure, Uncharted borrowed some things from Tomb Raider. But not solely. Think of Prince of Persia for the platforming and Gears of War for the cover system. It sort of picked the best from a whole slew of games and mashed them together into a brilliant format, which is more than I can say for any of the TR games. Even while Legend and Anniversary were fun, they weren't that particularly brilliant or anything. And the only enjoyable thing about the movies was Angelina Jolie prancing around in tight outfits; they were pretty horrible besides that XD

Trennas

Le Saboteur said:
I wouldn't call that a stupid sentiment; for all the work that was alleged to have gone into seeking out that "perfect" MacGuffin, Kingdom was a bitter pill to swallow. As I've said before: It took 'em twenty years to come up with that? Balderdash. With a modicum of actual research and interest in the subject, Amy Hennig & Co. have managed to come up with a far more interesting situations to put Drake in a shorter amount of time. Part 3 sounds awesome, too! Unfortunately it was just a few ideas, and I cannot share anything.

Otherwise, we have the exact same sentiments! I'm really digging how Among Thieves isn't completely 'realtime.' Lots to fill in!

Although I wasn't so disappointed about which MacGuffin they picked itself, I was extremely disappointed with WHAT they did with it in Kingdom. It just didn't make any sense. Still, bygones and all that.

And I'm very glad that Amy Hennig and the Dogs are doing their research extremely well. All that knowledge attributes greatly to the game and makes for some pretty daring development choices that actually work out great in game. Like Tenzin speaking Tibetan for example. Drake can only guess what he means, and unless you understand Tibetan, you don't understand anymore than he does, which only makes the player/protagonist relationship stronger in my opinion.

I'm really curious about what they will do for Uncharted 3! Actually have some cool ideas myself that would be very suitable for the Uncharted universe, but I was never that lucky to share them with the actual game director XD

p.s. Nice that you got a signed copy! Pretty sweet! (y)

p.p.s. I just sent her a friend request on Facebook. Curious what she will say XD

Last edited:

The Drifter

For no reason at all; I'm going to list the chapters for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves!

<b>Uncharted: Drake's Fortune</b>

1-Ambushed
2-The Search For El Dorado
3-A Surprising Find
4-Plane Wrecked
5-The Fortress
6-Unlocking the Past
7-Out of the Frying Pan
8-The Drowned City
9-To the Tower
10-The Customs House
11-Trapped
12-Heading Upriver
13-Sanctuary?
14-Going Underground
15-On the Trail of the Treasure
16-The Treasure Vault
17-The Heart of the Vault
18-The Bunker
19-Unwelcome Guests
20-Race To the Rescue
21-Gold and Bones
22-Showdown

<b>Uncharted 2: Among Thieves</b>
1-A Rock and A Hard Place
2-Breaking and Entering
3-Borneo
4-The Dig
5-Urban Warfare
6-Desperate Times
7-They're Coming With Us
8-The City's Secret
9-Path of Light
10-Only One Way Out
11-Keep Moving
12-A Train To Catch
13-Locomotion
14-Tunnel Vision
15-Train Wrecked
16-Where Am I?
17-Mountaineering
18-Heart of Ice
19-Siege
20-Cat and Mouse
21-Convoy
22-The Monastery
23-Reunion
24-The Road To Shambhala
25-Broken Paradise
26-Tree of Life

Perhilion

MaverickKing said:

I'm a big TR fan but that's just stupid.

Le Saboteur

The New York Times said:
ndiana Jones, eat your heart out.

For decades, video game makers have suffered in the inevitable comparison with their Hollywood counterparts. For all the creative and technical wizardry associated with gaming, movies have had the interactive world just plain beat when it comes to sophistication of scope, characterization and visual storytelling.

The New York Times has finally chimed in with its review on "Among Thieves." Point your browser in this direction to read the full thing.

Morning Bell

I know I'm behind the times but I finally picked up a PS3 last month and now I'm working my way through the first game, which I wanted to play before the second one. It's definitely awesome and I can see why so many people love it. For an adventure junkie like me this is exactly the kind of game that I can get excited about.

Trennas

The first Uncharted was the main reason for me to trade in the Wii for the PS3. It just oozed awesomeness and it didn't disappoint one bit :)

I just finished Among Thieves this weekend! I'm sad that it's over as it was an amazing ride with some really amazing sequences, but rest assured, the ending is just perfect and completely satisfying. And I will be man enough to honestly admit I had watery eyes and an emotional lump the size of a walnut in my throat :p