Hot Toys Indiana Jones Figure

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
But any way you slice it they would make way more money and move more units if they priced it £30.99!

I think they did, but Lucas asked for the other £259 in royalties!

While Bill Gates is giving his fortune away to the needy, Lucas is still raking it in every way he can. And what does he do with it? He gives us Jar Jar Binks. Now that's just not very charitable.

michael

errr...wait....

So it's up for pre-order for over $200, yet a new sculpt has been confirmed to being worked on.......

Montana Smith

michael said:
errr...wait....

So it's up for pre-order for over $200, yet a new sculpt has been confirmed to being worked on.......

Sideshow's pre-order price is $249.99 including a $25 non-refundable deposit.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901264&ref=home&new&preorder

There's a whole lotta hope going into this figure!

The forbiddenplanet.co.uk pre-order doesn't take a deposit, and it can be cancelled by 'phone, so it's a no-risk reservation.

Montana Smith said:
Sideshow's pre-order price is $249.99.

When I was a lad my parents wouldn't buy this crap...

indianajones.jpg

...it might as well have been $249.99.

Which is what it costs today if I'm not mistaken.

michael

Montana Smith said:
Sideshow's pre-order price is $249.99 including a $25 non-refundable deposit.

The forbiddenplanet.co.uk pre-order doesn't take a deposit, and it can be cancelled by 'phone, so it's a no-risk reservation.
The guy has done incredible work, no question. As is with these pictures, it's arguably the best 12 inch Jones ever. Buuuut people paying $25 for the unknown, AND MOST IMPORTANT PART of the figure....that's not fair.

But I guess it couldn't get "worse." I dunno, but you're right, a lotta hope, eh.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
When I was a lad my parents wouldn't buy this crap...

...it might as well have been $249.99.

Which is what it costs today if I'm not mistaken.

Fortunately the vintage stuff doesn't appeal. (Nice photo, shame about the figure).

Unfortunately the modern stuff does appeal.

michael said:
The guy has done incredible work, no question. As is with these pictures, it's arguably the best 12 inch Jones ever. Buuuut people paying $25 for the unknown, AND MOST IMPORTANT PART of the figure....that's not fair.

But I guess it couldn't get "worse." I dunno, but you're right, a lotta hope, eh.

As I wrote on Sideshow Freaks, Arnie Kim is a very talented sculptor, but he hasn't captured the essence of Harrison as Indy yet. This one had so much expectation riding on it, that I hope Hot Toys will take pride in order to get him right, rather than just take the pre-orders and leave him as is.

Montana Smith

08425470ojnszcffcp37sj.jpg

084244ook35kr2k4kfrkr9.jpg

084242lj8k7dc7ol7j44ye.jpg

084256izjrnu1qu0tqhfr1.jpg

084257pniosrnrav645s49.jpg

084259ymooq2hq4uzmf22y.jpg

084252aoxx2dohololh22a.jpg

084250ok0fd4crfkrctdz7.jpg

The hat is still perched too high in these photos. Translating Arnie Kim's Korean suggests this was done originally for the show photos, to better show off the face. But since it still hasn't been fixed, I'm still wondering about that.

The jacket is too bulky. The trouser belt too dark. The Aldens too new.

Yet the angle of the first shot presents a much less intense image of Harrison as Indy.

Last edited:

Billy Ray

These new pics just further my optimism about this figure. I don't consider myself a "Hot Toys Fan Boy" (this will actually be my first HT figure) nor do I consider myself a "fan boy" for any particular comapany. I do really love Sideshow's customer service and how they seem to listen to their customers. I have several of their figures, including both the Raiders and Skull Indys as well as a bunch of Star Wars figures. Some are great, some not so great, but they were the best available at the time. I feel the same about this figure. I love Sideshow's Raiders Indy, but this one really tops it in my opinion. I know the price is pretty steep, but thankfully I am able to set aside the money for him. If it was anyone other than Indy, I would have to give pause, but this just looks too good to me. Hopefully they will fix the little inaccuracies like the belt colors, etc and see about lowering that hat a little (as they are supposedly doing), but they have plenty of time to do that. In the end, those things still aren't showstoppers for me, even if he ships exactly like in these pics, I will be happy with him. I guess I am just an idiot (as someone posted on the SS freaks):rolleyes:

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
These new pics just further my optimism about this figure.

Exactly what struck me when I saw them this morning. The extra light is making him appear much more like Harrison.

Billy Ray said:
I don't consider myself a "Hot Toys Fan Boy" (this will actually be my first HT figure) nor do I consider myself a "fan boy" for any particular comapany.

The "fanboy" label is a crude putdown. People put their money into whatever makes them happy. I went to the point of no return in the early hours of yesterday morning. A layaway order with OneSixthBruce. However he eventually turns out when production begins, he won't lose money. Breaking him up and selling the parts will bring the cash back in if things are desperate!

Billy Ray said:
I love Sideshow's Raiders Indy, but this one really tops it in my opinion.

I still really like the SS as well, and as you say, the HT will be the next step up. As long as HT fix things like the hat, and the jacket. If they don't they'll be storing up a loss of confidence for the future - that customers won't believe they'll improve a figure, no matter how many pre-orders have been secured.

Billy Ray said:
In the end, those things still aren't showstoppers for me, even if he ships exactly like in these pics, I will be happy with him. I guess I am just an idiot (as someone posted on the SS freaks):rolleyes:

Well, I would be more than disappointed if Indy shipped with a floating fedora! The hat is an iconic look, and it really should sit right on his head.

:hat: