Custom PLAYSETS & DIORAMAS with your INDY TOYS!!

glorbes

Made some minor progress on the Flying Wing before work today...
2008_0707yarmouthaptpics0009.jpg

2008_0707yarmouthaptpics0010.jpg

Added the angled wing tips, cleaned up and hinged the canopy, and detailed the turret dome. The canopy is hinged by drilling holes in both the body and the frame of the canopy, and running cable ties/zip straps through the holes, and cutting off the excess strap:

2008_0707yarmouthaptpics0011.jpg

The clear plastic domes aren't attached, since I still have to putty, prime, and paint this thing (and of course add the engines and propellers), so they're dry-fitted to give a better impression of what this will look like when completed.

Errex

Exin blocks

Well, I got to fool around with some EXIN blocks I have laying around, and came up with this:
EXIN025.jpg

EXIN036.jpg

EXIN027.jpg

EXIN028.jpg

EXIN029.jpg

EXIN033.jpg

EXIN018.jpg

EXIN030.jpg

ChromiumBlue37

Outstanding!!! Just wonderful. Love the "castle" like structure. That crate with the chains is very cool, too. Where did you find it??

glorbes

What sort of blocks are these? And where do you get them? That looks amazing...it works as both a North African setting and a European castle. Great work, and great photography too!

Errex

@ChromiumBlue37: The crate with chains comes from the Megabloks Plasma Kreaps line. Those are small-ish creatures that represent classic monsters, like this werewolf:
CairoWerewolf008.jpg

@Glorbes: These are EXIN blocks, from Exin Castillo sets. These were made originally in Spain by EXIN Manufacturas and in Mexico by EXINMEX back in the 70's, and reissued in 2000 by spanish company Popular de Juguetes, before they tanked too.

They are originally for 2.54 mm scale figures, but can be used for simple 1:18 scale construction, as long as one sticks to basic blocks and arches. Here's an image of what a finished Exin Castle looks like, using scale specific pieces like the conical roof and tower crenelations:
ExinCastles240-castillo.jpg

:whip:

bonoferox

I'm really loving your work, Glorbes. (y)

Nice job on the diorama as well, errex.
My wife is gone for two weeks next week so I'm going to try to start a custom project.

glorbes said:
Made some minor progress on the Flying Wing before work today...
2008_0707yarmouthaptpics0009.jpg

2008_0707yarmouthaptpics0010.jpg

Added the angled wing tips, cleaned up and hinged the canopy, and detailed the turret dome. The canopy is hinged by drilling holes in both the body and the frame of the canopy, and running cable ties/zip straps through the holes, and cutting off the excess strap:

2008_0707yarmouthaptpics0011.jpg

The clear plastic domes aren't attached, since I still have to putty, prime, and paint this thing (and of course add the engines and propellers), so they're dry-fitted to give a better impression of what this will look like when completed.

That Flying Wing is awesome! Can't wait to see it fully painted. (y)

The_Raiders

Agent Spalko said:
That Flying Wing is awesome! Can't wait to see it fully painted. (y)

YOU think something having to with Indiana Jones is awesome?! Spalko LIKES soemthing Indy? Nah, I'm just kiddin with ya spalko, but yes the flying wing is very awesome. (y)

tnswman

glorbes said:
Thanks for the comment, and for the info. I'll have to give some of this textured spray a go...what is it that you used as a building material for the structure of your playset? I'm thinking about taking a crack at the Well of Souls some time in the future. I have NO clue how I would attempt making the Anubis statues though...that really is the one element that has me completely confounded.

More Flying Wing progress...the c0ckpit!
2008_0630flyingwingcockpit0001.jpg

I designed it as an insert, so that I could paint it separately and make sure the interior gets full paint coverage before I permanently attach it.

2008_0630flyingwingcockpit0004.jpg

A portion of the c0ckpit cover frame is not attached, since I'm going to hinge it to allow access to the completed interior. I'm going to use clear plastic for the glass.

2008_0630flyingwingcockpit0003.jpg

You have sooo much Bondo work coming up LOL!

It's D@MN Amazing!!

glorbes

tnswman said:
You have sooo much Bondo work coming up LOL!

Buddy, you don't know the half of it :D

I had a day off yesterday, and spent the better part of two hours puttying this thing, and another hour sanding the hell out of it with two grits of sand paper after it had all cured and dried. I sanded outside to avoid getting the dust all over my apartment (and in my lungs)...I was covered in orange dust and had to change and shower as soon as I was finished. Its easy to forget how toxic that crap is...yowza!!

glorbes

Raiders Flying Wing Complete!

Raiders Flying Wing
2008_0710flyingwingfinal0008.jpg

Well, this was an insanely involved project. I really used a lot of curse words while trying to make certain elements work, and I have to say its by far my most complex custom piece to date. There are a million little things that I'm unsatisfied with, but on the whole I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with the end result...especially since I was pretty much making it up as I was going along.

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0007.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0005.jpg

The wingspan, from tip to tip, is 38" and from stem to stern is about 16." Its really, really big.

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0010.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0015.jpg

The landing gear are made from the smallest casters I could find at the hardwar store. The front wheel has a swivel joint in it, which I thought was a fun addition.

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0014.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0013.jpg

The cockpit has space for a figure, and the gun turret has a removable dome to allow for a gunner to sit back there. Unfortunately, the figure needs to rest on its knees in order for this to work, but it looks okay when its closed up.

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0017.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0018.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0020.jpg

Scale shots:
2008_0710flyingwingfinal0028.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0004.jpg

And some fun ones:
2008_0710flyingwingfinal0021.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0023.jpg

Side comparison with the Last Crusade Tank:
2008_0710flyingwingfinal0029.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0030.jpg

ChromiumBlue37

My GOD!! You are AMAZING! Great work! We can only hope and pray Hasbro is monitoring these forums.

Hear that Hasbro?? Take a hint from this guy, he's a pro!

Errex

That plane is gorgeous!

It is such an awesome model, absolutely beautiful. The tank is also excellent, but the flying wing is a definite jewel, in my opinion. (y) (y) (y)

glorbes said:
Raiders Flying Wing
2008_0710flyingwingfinal0008.jpg

Well, this was an insanely involved project. I really used a lot of curse words while trying to make certain elements work, and I have to say its by far my most complex custom piece to date. There are a million little things that I'm unsatisfied with, but on the whole I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with the end result...especially since I was pretty much making it up as I was going along.

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0007.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0005.jpg

The wingspan, from tip to tip, is 38" and from stem to stern is about 16." Its really, really big.

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0010.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0015.jpg

The landing gear are made from the smallest casters I could find at the hardwar store. The front wheel has a swivel joint in it, which I thought was a fun addition.

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0014.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0013.jpg

The cockpit has space for a figure, and the gun turret has a removable dome to allow for a gunner to sit back there. Unfortunately, the figure needs to rest on its knees in order for this to work, but it looks okay when its closed up.

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0017.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0018.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0020.jpg

Scale shots:
2008_0710flyingwingfinal0028.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0004.jpg

And some fun ones:
2008_0710flyingwingfinal0021.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0023.jpg

Side comparison with the Last Crusade Tank:
2008_0710flyingwingfinal0029.jpg

2008_0710flyingwingfinal0030.jpg

eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif
eek2.gif

OH. MY. GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREATEST CUSTOM EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Glorbes, are the rear braking flaps hinged? Did you just use those plastic toy vending machine bubbles for the domes? Did you prime and airbrush it?

Outstanding. Just outstanding.

Stoo

glorbes said:
EXCELLENT WORK, glorbes! This is just about the coolest thing I have ever seen at The Raven.
I don't even collect toys but would love to have one of these (and the tank, of course).!
Brilliant, unique and a job well done!:hat: (y) (y) :cool:

glorbes

Thanks for the very kind responses everyone.

Agent Spalko said:
Hey Glorbes, are the rear braking flaps hinged? Did you just use those plastic toy vending machine bubbles for the domes? Did you prime and airbrush it?

The flaps/ailerons are not hinged...just static (now that you mention it, I wish I had made them articulated). The domes are indeed those vending machine bubbles...I've used them for a number of different projects, and I thought they'd fill the bill quite nicely here. I did prime it, yes:
2008_0710flyingwingfinal0001.jpg
. I did not airbrush though...the whole thing is hand-painted with acrylics (actually...the bottom is spray painted, but I weathered it by hand).