Action Figures compatible with Hasbro's Indiana Jones?

Montana Smith

ChromiumBlue37 said:
VERY nice! Well done!

Thanks! :hat:

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Where did you find the Dusenberg? Nice touch!

I think it's a Jaguar - hard to get out now that I've put the gate in front!

It's a 1/18 Burago model I picked up at a flea market.

Indy's other car is a DB5, but he has to wait until 1963 before he can use it! ;)

DSCN3757.jpg

mister64

That gate looks perfect with the Indy figures. It's too bad Mcfarlane doesn't know what "quality control" means. Arms and legs break off Mcfarlane figures if you look at them wrong.

Montana Smith

mister64 said:
That gate looks perfect with the Indy figures. It's too bad Mcfarlane doesn't know what "quality control" means. Arms and legs break off Mcfarlane figures if you look at them wrong.

I only had that happen on one figure - the tentacles broke off John Carpenter's Blair as The Thing figure. Most of the McFarlane's I have are more statue than action figure.

Saying that, though, there was a broken part on the Alamut Gate - the little clip that's supposed to hold the spring-loaded rock thrower was broken off and completely missing. I had to strap it down with a twisty tie.

Lance Quazar

Awesome paint job on the gate! Looks really terrific!

Care to share tips on how you achieved it?

(though, I think if you're going for Cairo, you might want to think about a much lighter sandy color....not to nitpick. :) )

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
Awesome paint job on the gate! Looks really terrific!

Thanks, Lance!

Lance Quazar said:
Care to share tips on how you achieved it?

(though, I think if you're going for Cairo, you might want to think about a much lighter sandy color....not to nitpick. :) )

Yeah, getting the right colour was difficult. I had images in my mind of the warm sand-coloured stone. If I can mix up a more appropriate colour I'll give it another drybrush, to get it looking more like these bare-stone images of Cairo:

p52090-cairo-mosque_of_ahmad_ibn_tulun.jpg

cairo.jpg

Here's what I did to the Gate, using Citadel and Coat d'Arms acrylics:

1. Unscrewed and took the Gate completely apart

2. Painted the iron portcullis Chaos Black.

3. Gave all the stonework a wash of Chaos Black to pick out the cracks and grooves.

4. Drybrushed with Bleached Bone.

5. Drybrushed with a mixture of about 4 Bleached Bone to 1 Oriental Flesh.

6. Gave it another Black wash

7. Finally drybrushed with Leather Brown/Snakebite Leather

Lance Quazar

Thanks for the tips! I have so many scenic pieces I want to paint, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Good luck with the color if you take another crack at this. I haven't been to Cairo, but I have been to Kairouan, Tunisia, which was Cairo in the movie.
:whip:

I'd love to try to make a medina, marketplace or palace courtyard dio with the gate and some other pieces.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
Thanks for the tips! I have so many scenic pieces I want to paint, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

What other pieces do you have? One's you've made yourself or bought?

Lance Quazar said:
Good luck with the color if you take another crack at this. I haven't been to Cairo, but I have been to Kairouan, Tunisia, which was Cairo in the movie.
:whip:

I'm thinking of blending some of the colours that I've already used. Maybe the Snakebite Leather with the Oriental Flesh.

Lance Quazar said:
I'd love to try to make a medina, marketplace or palace courtyard dio with the gate and some other pieces.

Sounds very intriguing. Is MDF banned in the US? It's what I used for Egyptian scenery in 28mm, and it takes a brown inkwash well, inasmuch as it soaks in to leave a warm colour without have to go to great lengths. I engraved stonework with a dremmel, and the ink had a tendency of staying dark in the recesses.

Montana Smith

Okay, Alamut Gate take 2...

Here is the sandy yellow repaint (camera flash off):

DSCN3798.jpg

And the same sandy yellow repaint again (camera flash on):

DSCN3804.jpg

Neat effect! It changes colour like the real stone under sunlight. ;)

I was attempting to get closer to this bare stone wall:

cairo.jpg

I may drybrush individual blocks to copy the variation in the real wall.

Lance Quazar

The new paintjob looks sensational!

Funny how different it looks under different lighting conditions.

Wonderful work!

Montana Smith said:
What other pieces do you have? One's you've made yourself or bought?

A little from Column A, a little from Column B...

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up the gate at Target this weekend for 10 bucks...pretty cool, but my catapult clip was also broken. Good thing I could care less about that feature

Montana Smith

featofstrength said:
I picked up the gate at Target this weekend for 10 bucks...pretty cool, but my catapult clip was also broken. Good thing I could care less about that feature

It's a curious quality control issue that I'd never have expected from McFarlane. Maybe a symptom of moving from the 'model' collector market into the 'toy' market?

Gobi-1

Been keeping my eye on the Prince of Persia figures at Target as they were recently put on clearance. Had the day off and hit up several stores in my area looking for markdowns. I visited three Targets stores and the price of the Alamut Gate went from 14.98 to 9.98 to finally 4.98 which I bought.

I'll keep checking on the two pack with the horse.

I saw A-Team stuff marked down as well but I passed since they only had a couple of figures left and the likenesses weren't very good.

Gobi-1

featofstrength said:

Mine was the same way. Catapult was broken so it won't lock down, plus one of the swords snapped in half while I was trying to remove it from the plastic box. I've never bought anything from McFarlane but I was surprised by the cheapness of the plastic. I've always heard that McFarlane made high quality products but I was not impressed. Hasbro has nothing to worry about.

Spassvogel

Gobi-1 said:
Dastan's leg just broke off. McFarlane, more like McCrap.

Hey guys, I just jumped onboard here because I was interested in Indy customs. I also have a couple of those gates. I was surprised to read that someone in the thread said the clip on their catapult wasn't broken. The clips were supposed to be broken before the gates made it to stores because they decided it was too dangerous somehow. The unbroken one is certainly rare, because it's the first intact one I've ever heard of.

I don't usually buy McFarlane stuff because it's out of the 1:18 scale, but I bought an Albert Pujols 3 3/4ths figure, as well as a handful of these Prince of Persia figs since they were the right size. The plastic is really bad. I had the leg of one of my dastan's snap off too, and my 6yr old broke one of the swords trying to put it into the sheath on his back.

The articulation is decent and the sculpts are decent, but the plastic is gritty and brittle.

I wish we'd gotten a second wave though, I was looking forward to a figure of the princess.

Anyway, lots of good fodder at least for Raiders' dios. :)

my Big Lots got in a whole bunch of old/new World Peacekeepers sets recently. Camels, horses, the battle command post, towers...and the battlefield set, which looks pretty snazzy.
Battlefield.jpg

I picked up the set with the campfire, makeshift tent, kettle, and pot.(y)