Hunting Hitler on the History Channel

Wedge Antilles

I've seen a few episodes of this show Hunting Hitler, it explores theories that Hitler may have actually survived the war and escaped to Argentina or elsewhere. What I'm wondering is if many serious historians entertain the idea that Hitler might have survived the war. Does anyone know?

Mickiana

A serious historian would only look into this if there was a serious indication that Hitler fled to Argentina. Half-arsed Youtube 'documentaries', that don't even bother offering any indications, are only a 40 min farce with nothing but made up 'maybes'.

As it is, there was testimony to the fact that Hitler shot himself in the head in his bunker after turning the Chancellorship over to Admiral Donitz. He requested his and Eva's bodies be burned so that the Allies and Soviets could not use his body in some gruesome display as had been done to Mussolini.

Wedge Antilles

Mickiana said:
A serious historian would only look into this if there was a serious indication that Hitler fled to Argentina. Half-arsed Youtube 'documentaries', that don't even bother offering any indications, are only a 40 min farce with nothing but made up 'maybes'.

As it is, there was testimony to the fact that Hitler shot himself in the head in his bunker after turning the Chancellorship over to Admiral Donitz. He requested his and Eva's bodies be burned so that the Allies and Soviets could not use his body in some gruesome display as had been done to Mussolini.

Yeah that is what I thought. And of course, you can't believe everything you see on the History Channel.:p

AustrianGoodbye

Mickiana said:

There were testimonies that those testimonies were faked, his death faked, and testimonies that he lived in Argentina/South America (I believe Brazil?). There are testimonies of UFOs, aliens, atomic weapons before the US even had research going, Jesus rose from the grave according to testimony....

My point is a testimony is a testimony. Only evidence we have is remains which have been proven to be not Hitler's DNA according to the remains that were supposedly Hitler's bones. :hat:

AttyOzzy

Hitler fled?

All very good points. I confess having watched every minute if the history channel's Hunting For Hitler series. I found it to be far more thought provoking than the Real Houswives as I worked out in the basement.

I have always resisted the temptation to buy into the whole "Hitler escaped" theory.

However, after having watched it - which had some pretty impressive former officials investigating- I don't know that I could say beyond a reasonable doubt that Hitler definitely killed himself and died in the Bunker. The purported recently released FBI files alleging they were still looking for him in the 50's gave (and still give) me a moment of pause. It is difficult flr me to beleive the official stories that our American gov't puts forth - let alone a story given to us by the Russians.

Best wishes to all of my Raven-indy fan brothers and sisters!

This is a subject that personally find to be very interesting. I recently have read two books on this subject.

For decades I too accepted the story of Hitler's suicide as the final answer on the subject, and never really gave it another thought. But like a lot of things, I never really looked beyond the accepted story. Until recently.

Bottom line: Hitler's body was never found. Joseph Stalin firmly believed that Hitler escaped, and was never convinced otherwise. The US Federal Bureau of Investigation spent a lot of time and effort pursuing leads that pointed to the fact that Adolf Hitler survived the war and fled to South America.

It's not really crazy conspiracy theory. There is evidence that Hitler may have survived. The FBI documentation is there. It is not fake.

Is the evidence strong? It is neither stronger nor weaker than the 'evidence' of his suicide. Today if you are a prosecutor and want to convict someone for murder, you need a body. Hitler's body was never found, neither was Eva Braun's.

As for 'testimony', or 'eyewitnesses', today one needs to take them all with a grain of salt.

Think for a moment, if you were a dedicated Nazi in 1945, or 1946, or later, the greatest secret of all would have been your Fuhrer's survival after the war. you would have done anything, said anything, to throw any potential pursuers off his trail.