Ideas For New Indy Actor

indytim

Billy Ray said:
Anthony Ingruber or don't bother! On the plus side, he's already played a young Harrison Ford.

This guy may resemble a young Harrison Ford but sounds nothing like him to me. His online video impression of Han Solo is pretty weak, in my opinion.

indytim

Having read the various thoughts, ideas and even rants of people on this subject there seems to be three definitive schools of thought ...

1) Purists - They will accept Harrison Ford in the role and no-one else. Ford is Indy. Except no substitute cracking the whip.

2) Clone-ists - People willing to accept a 'clone' of Harrison Ford (such as Anthony Ingruber) in the role. An actor who will mimic/resemble Harrison Ford's portrayal of Indy, not the performer's own interpretation.

3) Realists - People who appreciate that Harrison Ford is now realistically too old to play the character as we love to see him. Young, fit, full of daring-do. They also understand that the movie industry will cast a younger (and possibly popular) actor in the role that will result in money being made, rather than appeasing fans' wishes.

I may be wrong but these seem to be the trains of thought members on this forum seem to be aligning to. I know which camp I'm in :hat:

Z dweller

indytim said:
Having read the various thoughts, ideas and even rants of people on this subject there seems to be three definitive schools of thought ...

1) Purists - They will accept Harrison Ford in the role and no-one else. Ford is Indy. Except no substitute cracking the whip.

2) Clone-ists - People willing to accept a 'clone' of Harrison Ford (such as Anthony Ingruber) in the role. An actor who will mimic/resemble Harrison Ford's portrayal of Indy, not the performer's own interpretation.

3) Realists - People who appreciate that Harrison Ford is now realistically too old to play the character as we love to see him. Young, fit, full of daring-do. They also understand that the movie industry will cast a younger (and possibly popular) actor in the role that will result in money being made, rather than appeasing fans' wishes.

I may be wrong but these seem to be the trains of thought members on this forum seem to be aligning to. I know which camp I'm in :hat:
I would argue that the Clone-ists are just a subset of the Purists (AKA Ford Fundamentalists or Ford Fetishists*)

The Realists (AKA Progressionists**) of course have it right (y)

* © Le Saboteur

** © Finn

Duaner

indytim said:

Is it possible to be a realist cloneist? I know and accept that a new actor will be playing Indy, but I want it to be someone who I believe to be a younger version of Harrison Ford's character. That does not mean he has to look and sound exactly like him. Sean Patrick Flanery did not look like Harrison Ford and I accepted him as Young Indy. Chris Pratt will satisfy me. I am impressed with this Anthony Ingruber, but I don't know if I want to see him as Indy. Maybe as Han Solo in the 2018 spinoff movie, but I don't know.

Finn

Staff member
Duaner said:
Is it possible to be a realist cloneist? I know and accept that a new actor will be playing Indy, but I want it to be someone who I believe to be a younger version of Harrison Ford's character. That does not mean he has to look and sound exactly like him.
So what you're practically saying is that you want a Caucasian male with handsome looks into the role.

For what it's worth, I believe that's what Disney is aiming for too. If casting, say, a black woman for the part would make me do a bunch of double takes (even if I would reserve my final judgment 'til seeing the final product), I guess I'm a 'realist cloneist' too, despite all my progressivism.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
If casting, say, a black woman for the part would make me do a bunch of double takes

Never say Never my friend.

11146122.jpg

indytim

Watching Adam Driver's taciturn appearance at Comic-Con's Star Wars Episode VII panel reminded me of Harrison Ford somewhat, making me wonder if he could possibly bring the same kind of gravitas to the role (not that Disney will be looking for that).

adam-driver-gq-cover-lg.jpg

Le Saboteur

Z dweller said:
* © Le Saboteur

Now I need one of those shirts proclaiming my fame on the internet.

In other news, look at this sexy, sexy hunk of a man.

watch-looking-season-2-premiere-live-stream.jpg

That's Murray Bartlett of HBO's Looking. And here is in a really cool sheep's wool lined coat!

looking-episode-3.jpg

By casting Bartlett you get: a gay actor; a gay Indiana Jones; and a mustache! It's the trifecta of wants!

And you just know he's a top like good ol' Harry.

anigif_enhanced-29999-1392417571-21.gif

-------
Edit: Highly inappropriate gif there, le sab. You know better.

Last edited by a moderator:
indytim said:
Watching Adam Driver's taciturn appearance at Comic-Con's Star Wars Episode VII panel reminded me of Harrison Ford somewhat, making me wonder if he could possibly bring the same kind of gravitas to the role (not that Disney will be looking for that).

adam-driver-gq-cover-lg.jpg

Adam Driver?? He's the ugliest man on the planet.. seriously looks more like a young Dracula.

Z dweller

Time to bump this thread.

I believe Disney will introduce a new actor in the upcoming movie, who will play younger Indy in flashback scenes, and potentially wear the fedora in future prequels.

IMO, Disney will go for a relative unknown, like they did so successfully in The Force Awakens with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

With Ford already signed up for the project, there is no need to bring in another established actor: much better to go for broke and try to launch a new star.
After all, this is precisely how it all started for Harrison himself.

It's been suggested that they may use one of the finalists for the Han Solo prequel role, but I doubt it.

At any rate, I credit them with the ability to choose wisely, and will look forward to casting announcements as we get closer to release date. (y)

PS: funny to read the old posts about Adam Driver, in light of TFA.

Darmok

I find those Harrison Ford purists to be quite odd.

Indiana Jones was never some real terribly complicated character, the films are all about the adventure. Indy is there to fill-in for the viewer, it's like a video game and he's the player we control.

The appeal of these films is that, secretly, we all want to be Indiana Jones. It's escapist fantasy. He's the epitome of what all men strive to be. He's handsome, he's intelligent, he punches people, he's single, sleeps around, he's got cash, he punches people, he travels the world, he could sleep with any of his students, he uses a whip, he punches people, he goes on adventures, he can shoot people and get away with it, and he punches people. You get the point, he's not all that different from James Bond.

It's the appeal of the movies, not the character. Indy is the man's man from adventure serials, so when he's 73-years-old with a white head of hair (that he's swiftly losing BTW) and can barely keep up with the rest of the characters, you don't want to be him.

I'm happy Harrison is coming back, but to act like Indy can only ever be played by Ford is just fangirling. I want to see a fresh take on the character with an actor capable of stepping into Ford's shoes. If grandpa Ford has to carry the film and do all these crazy action stunts again, it'll turn out like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I, going by indytim's guide, am a realist, if you couldn't tell already, and I understand if you love Ford as the character, but honestly, I think it's pretty ignorant and close-minded to be a "purist" and not think anyone can ever replace him. It's going to, and should, happen.

indy4242

Oscar Isaac.

He basically played Han Solo 2.0 in The Force Awakens and managed to make it his own while still being the cocky lovable rogue type. *Ex Machina* showed he can pull off the academic/intellectual side even while being sort of a funny/villainous character.

At least, I'd vote for Isaac over some of the others mentioned (Pratt, Bradley Cooper, etc)

Duaner

indy4242 said:
Oscar Isaac.

He basically played Han Solo 2.0 in The Force Awakens and managed to make it his own while still being the cocky lovable rogue type. *Ex Machina* showed he can pull off the academic/intellectual side even while being sort of a funny/villainous character.

At least, I'd vote for Isaac over some of the others mentioned (Pratt, Bradley Cooper, etc)

He is a terrific actor (and Poe is my favorite new Star Wars character) but Indy is not Hispanic.