Disney buys Marvel for 4 Billion

RedeemedChild

Meerkat said:
Sighh...
I think Disney should have just stuck with those animated films like Lion King and Sleeping Beauty. They are releasing a new one, but still...they should never have strayed far from that path. v.v

Well my friend I like the direction Disney is going with Star Wars-esque tales like Pirates of the Caribbean and Prince of Persia. However I am displeased with Disney creating rubbish like That's So Raven, Hannah Montana, Lizzie McGuire and Desperate Housewives.

However I do believe Disney is doing a good job returning to their magical roots with upcoming and current titles like Ponyo, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, Nicholas Cage's The Sorcerer's Apprentice and Jim Carrey's A Christmas Carol.

BTW MarionRavenChu Disney does have something that's a cross between Pokemon and Star Trek called Spectrobes.

Agent Crab

OH NOES! DISNEY OWnS MARVEL! THE WORLD IS ENDING!

FFFfff

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HlgNG60odc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6HlgNG60odc&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A fun watch.

Finn

Staff member
MarionRavenChu said:
Why do I see a X-Men Highschool Musical in the future...Why does Disney have to own EVERYTHING...I love Disney but there are some things that Disney should not intertwine with..Thank God the creator of Pokemon said Hell no when Disney tried to own them but I hear they are also trying to claim the rights to Sailor Moon right now to make a live action movie, man why am I already seeing Sailor Moon as Hannah Montana......
Sometimes I wonder if people read no more than the thread titles.

Agent Crab

Finn said:
Sometimes I wonder if people read no more than the thread titles.

I still don't get why people never moaned that Disney does own Tri-Star and Miramax...

It's not really THAt bad that disney owns Marvel anyway. They aren't going to bastardize the characters in any shape or form.

Considering like that video.. Hannah Montana, Miley Cyrus and so on appeal to the young tweens and preteen girls.

I swear.. I seen this "Chu" person from a certain Snarking site...

Finn

Staff member
Agent Crab said:
I still don't get why people never moaned that Disney does own Tri-Star and Miramax...
Because they aren't aware of it?

Why someone who posts in this thread isn't by this far kinda amazes me...

So-Cal Reporter

New Marvel Indy comics

I can only see opportunity for Disney/Marvel/Indy comics! (y)
Hey, I know that Dark Horse has the deal for Indy at the moment but think about park exclusive comics with Marvel doing Indy again. Temple of the Forbidden Eye finding, The real stuntmen of the stunt spectacular, and more are just starters!

Stoo

MarionRavenChu said:
Why do I see a X-Men Highschool Musical in the future...Why does Disney have to own EVERYTHING...I love Disney but there are some things that Disney should not intertwine with..Thank God the creator of Pokemon said Hell no when Disney tried to own them but I hear they are also trying to claim the rights to Sailor Moon right now to make a live action movie, man why am I already seeing Sailor Moon as Hannah Montana......
"I love Disney but there are some things that Disney should not intertwine with.."

To put things into perspective, it was extremely SHOCKING when the Indy show in Florida & the other Disney Indy rides started popping up. (WHAT??? What does Indy have to do with Disney?) Didn't you enjoy a fun time being part of the FLA Indy extravaganza? Has Disney's involvement with Indy ruined things for you?

So-Cal Reporter said:
I can only see opportunity for Disney/Marvel/Indy comics! (y)
Hey, I know that Dark Horse has the deal for Indy at the moment but think about park exclusive comics with Marvel doing Indy again.
Was thinking the exact same thing. Is Indy 1 of the 5000 characters? Probably not. Marvel's license must have expired a long time ago...Yes/No?:confused:

So-Cal, I noticed this is your 1st post...Welcome to The Raven...where the whip-cracking never stops!:hat::whip:

RedeemedChild

Finn said:

Indeed Finn, that very true.

Most of the people that I've talked with (if not all of them) had no IDEA yea, not even a single WIT that Disney owned or is the parent company of ABC, ESPN or Tri-Star and MIRAMIX and PIXAR. For some reason most of the college students that are in my father's art classes thought that George Lucas still owned Pixar and that it was the primary animation engine at LucasArts Animation.

Agent Crab

Finn said:

Why someone who posts in this thread isn't by this far kinda amazes me...

I knew about the ABC and Miramax thing for a long time. Yet people think anything Disney touches dies automatically. Even Disney worked on the newer episodes of Power Rangers and kept them close to the Sentai counterparts that aired in Japan. I don't see people breaking into song and dance in Tri-Star or Moramax movies, either.

Miramax handles alot of the Studio Ghilbi Animes. There hasn't been any rapage of the movies at all.

RedeemedChild

Agent Crab said:
I knew about the ABC and Miramax thing for a long time. Yet people think anything Disney touches dies automatically. Even Disney worked on the newer episodes of Power Rangers and kept them close to the Sentai counterparts that aired in Japan. I don't see people breaking into song and dance in Tri-Star or Moramax movies, either.

Miramax handles alot of the Studio Ghilbi Animes. There hasn't been any rapage of the movies at all.

What about Spectrobes and Pokemon? I really like Spectrobes.

Agent Crab

RedeemedChild said:
What about Spectrobes and Pokemon? I really like Spectrobes.

I never really played it. I heard it's a good game.

Disney has made some good games in their past as well. No one *****ed when Capcom and Disney made games together back in the NES and SNES days. Games such as Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales and even Aladdin.

Disney Interactive made the Lion King Game back on home cosnoles in the 90's and those were pretty grand as well.

Disney seems to be a trend to hate it or like it. I look beyond the whole Hannah Monatna, Miley Cyrus, High School Musical, Joans Brothers things and look at stuff like Pixar, Aladdin and even stuff like Dave the Barbarian that they aired years ago.

The Drifter

Agent Crab said:

Disney has made some good games in their past as well. No one *****ed when Capcom and Disney made games together back in the NES and SNES days. Games such as Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales and even Aladdin.

Disney Interactive made the Lion King Game back on home cosnoles in the 90's and those were pretty grand as well.

Disney seems to be a trend to hate it or like it. I look beyond the whole Hannah Monatna, Miley Cyrus, High School Musical, Joans Brothers things and look at stuff like Pixar, Aladdin and even stuff like Dave the Barbarian that they aired years ago.

Yes. The Lion King, Ducktales, and Aladdin were all great games.
Aladdin had great platforming, and all of them had top-notch sprites.

Insomniac

jamesdude said:
I can just imagine Spidermouse 2.......

Donald as Harry: "You killed my father! WAHHHAAHAWAHAHWHHA! (donalds trademark jibberish yell) "
Great one!I laughed so hard!
To bad this is no joking matter.

RedeemedChild

Agent Crab said:

You should check out Spectrobes. It's a great and addictive game with a great storyline.

I think that Disney is on the way having great games again. Up The video game, Cars The Video Game and G-Force have all be praised as great Disney movie/games.

WOW this is great. Now that they have this deal going on, probably the hero films will be more family friendly. I wander if Miley Cyrus, Salen Gomez, Demi Lovato and other Disney stars will be in any of the next films they produce? It would be nice to know.

Kevin

This article really puts things in perspective, below is an excerpt:

People are complaining that we will start seeing bloodless comic book films, but have you forgotten so quickly about this summer?s bloodless fest X-Men Origins: Wolverine? There was hacking and slashing all throughout the film and not one drop of blood, digital or practical, was spilled; and that wasn?t produced by Disney, it was done by Fox and it?s a prime example of what happens when the studio gets too involved in the creative process.

Iron Man, however, is a prime example of what Marvel can do when left alone - but the problem is Iron Man was the first film completely funded by Marvel Studios and it took a lot of money to make that happen. That?s money Marvel didn?t recoup until well after the movie was made and released, so any other project they may have wanted to work on was on hold until the funds came back in. Now what if Marvel had access to Disney?s money during the time Iron Man was being made? If Marvel has access to that kind of coin, then we could have more than one or two high quality superhero films released every year.

It?s no surprise that Marvel is very tight-fisted when it comes to their own production quality - but not having the funding to release films; they were forced to make deals with other movie houses. This is why we see Sony with Spider-man, Fox with X-Men, and Paramount with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. This is also why the only truly awesome film so far was Iron Man, because Paramount was the distributor not the producer. When the studios try to get involved, audiences end up with X-Men 3, The Punisher and Fantastic Four.

Disney already knows this and I would bet they are happy to stand back and see how their investment can flourish with proper funding. They did the same thing with Pixar a few years ago and if anything Pixar movies have gotten better and they are being released more frequently. Think that would have happened if Pixar had tried to fund their projects themselves? Not a chance. Also, nothing Disney does is low budget, they pride themselves in doing things over and above how it should be done to keep up appearances. If a movie is going to suck, then it?s going to suck looking good.

DocWhiskey

People are complaining that we will start seeing bloodless comic book films, but have you forgotten so quickly about this summer?s bloodless fest X-Men Origins: Wolverine?

Yes. Because it was terrible.

I don't care about blood. As long as it's a good movie.

That's a very good article you posted, Kevin. And I'm starting to see that this decision isn't so bad after all.

Perhaps Disney will make my dreams come true. At least my comic book dreams.

Le Saboteur

Kevin said:
This article really puts things in perspective, below is an excerpt:

That's a good article. During the early years of Pixar-Disney, Disney's brand really suffered under the management of Cynthia Pressler. She was of the mindset, that if you keep slapping "Disney" on x, y, and z, people will keep buying it despite how markedly inferior it is. The argument for scrapping the entire animation department was "the kids don't like it" when a sane mind would realize that the end product wasn't that good; aside from the near-miss that was Atlantis: The Lost Empire, all the animated pictures Disney put out were remarkably bad.

Enter Pixar. Pixar needed a distributor, and Disney gave that to them. When Disney eventually saw how damn profitable they were, the smart business decision was to keep their hands out of the creative process. Why? At the height of this intersection, the profits from Pixar were roughly half of Disney's operating budget.

Artistry trumps marketing. People won't keep lining up to see a crap film the same way they'll line-up repeatedly for a good film.

Agent Crab

IndyWolf15 said:
WOW this is great. Now that they have this deal going on, probably the hero films will be more family friendly. I wander if Miley Cyrus, Salen Gomez, Demi Lovato and other Disney stars will be in any of the next films they produce? It would be nice to know.

Ironman will still be PG-13. Disney is not gonna harm or kiddiefy the Marvel characters.

Just to let you know.

Disney owns Tri-Star and Miramax. Stuff like Kill Bill wasn't G rated or family orenanted.

Even Disney's Pirates of the Carribean wasn't G-rated. Watch the video I linked a few posts back.

I must say that Wolverine was a terrible movie. I think Marvel should remake Wolverine and make it more family friendly now that Marvel is in the hands of Disney and rate the movie PG-13 or PG-14. Heres my opinion on Ironman, i think it was a great movie and it is very exciting, enjoyable, funny and great action scenes, the only problem i had were bad language, but so far i liked Ironman.