Survival preparation; Be Prepared

Am at pains to award the title for the greatest invention, discovery or device ever to grace our thirst for knowledge and achievements; But below is a random list which demonstrates some serious contenders.

Can Raven members choose from the list which of these items you would short list; it requires covering three seperate fields of information. (A, B and C)

A. What you would short list in a survival situation to three items you could just not do without.
B. A fourth item not included on the list. As an addition to your other three.
C. And finally your idea of the greatest invention man ever discovered/invented?

Paper
Abacus
Elastic Band
Paper Clip
Light bulb
Pneumatic Tyre
Zippo lighter
Batteries
Ink
Radio
Passport
Candle
Scissors
Nail clippers
Soap
Toilet paper
Map
Needles
Leatherman
Back up external hard drive
Sun block
Desalinater
Bungees
Toothbrush
String
Pliers
Prophylactic
Cash card
Razor
Floss
Tin opener
Sunglasses
Mosquito repelant
Compass
Water flask
Mirror
Prenuptial agreement
Chocolate
Parang
Iodine
Pair of spare socks
Safety pin
Blusher

There are no right or wrong answers. So have a think. A real long hard think re; the necessity of the items you are keeping in your possession and their usefulness and consider their effectiveness re; unknown situations you may possibly encounter. It could be absolutely any circumstance. So be prepared.

When you submit your answers please don't forget to include your reasoning.

Thanks for playing.

Stoo

Gekkos Big Baws said:
When you submit your answers please don't forget to include your reasoning.
Answer: F*ck off.
Reason: Your 3 introductory posts are a clear indication that you have no intention of discussing the subject that this forum is dedicated to.

P.S. You're obviously intelligent but I fear that your 'desired' engagements are misplaced.;)

Last edited:
Sorry Stu I forgot to include an urban slang dictionary in the list - for those of us more eloquent in demonstrating our extensive vocabulary asterisk risk assessment skillsets.

Hope I'm not coming across as to much of a School Ma'am type.

But thanks for playing. Err...Kind of?:hat:

p.s I thought this was the games forum or am I hallucinating again?

Stoo

Gekkos Big Baws said:
...am I hallucinating again?
Only you, yourself, would know...but considering your stream-of-consciousness thought, I would guess: YES. You are on a trip.

Have you been taking microdots or blotters?:confused:

P.S. Dr. Jones, baby!

Stoo - some friendly advice - avoid the dry martini's in Club Obi Wan.:sick:

Do highly recommend the advocaat served at the Overlook Hotel these days especially somewhere around the ballroom.

Chin chin.

Stoo

Gekkos Big Baws said:
Do highly recommend the advocaat served at the Overlook Hotel these days especially somewhere around the ballroom.
Heh, I was actually in that hotel 2 years ago!;) My cousin took me up to Estes Park in Colorado and she told me that the Stanley Hotel was Stephen King's inspiration for "The Shining". Apart from some nice woodwork adorning the walls, the bar was nothing special. Neither her nor I ordered the eggnog. We drank rum'n'cokes. Have you ever been there, Mr. Gekko-Whacked-Out-Psycho or are you just talking about one of your LSD-inspired hallucinations?:confused:
Gekkos Big Baws said:
Chin chin.
Quoting Michael Caine from "Zulu":

"Chin chin. Do carry on with those mud pies.":p

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
"The Shining"

Gekkos Big Baws said:
Paper

Thanks for playing.

shining+all-work-and-no-play.jpg

Oh really?

"Heh, I was actually in that hotel 2 years ago! My cousin took me up to Estes Park in Colorado and she told me that the Stanley Hotel was Stephen King's inspiration for "The Shining".

"Some of the most beautiful resort hotels in the world are located in Colorado, but the hotel in these pages is based on none of them. The Overlook and the people associated with it exist wholly within the author's imagination."

Source; The Shining/Stephen King/preface/1988 paperback edition

"The Overlook and the people associated with it exist wholly within the author's imagination."
and Stoos it seems.

Stoo

Game Over - Please Try Again

Note: I wrote that the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park was King's "inspiration" (and NOT the hotel which his story was "based on").

Regarding the Stanley Hotel, Stephen King has said:

"When we arrived, they were just getting ready to close for the season, and we found ourselves the only guests in the place ? with all those long, empty corridors."
(The Stephen King Companion)

"Except for our table all the chairs were up on the tables. So the music is echoing down the hall, and, I mean, it was like God had put me there to hear that and see those things. And by the time I went to bed that night, I had the whole book in my mind".
(Victorville Daily Press)

"That night I dreamed of my three-year-old son running through the corridors, looking back over his shoulder, eyes wide, screaming. He was being chased by a fire-hose. I woke up with a tremendous jerk, sweating all over, within an inch of falling out of bed. I got up, lit a cigarette, sat in a chair looking out the window at the Rockies, and by the time the cigarette was done, I had the bones of the book firmly set in my mind."
(Stephen King: America's Best Loved Boogeyman)

---
Plus, for the 1997 TV mini-series version of "The Shining", Stephen King was screenwriter, executive producer, co-director, photographer and he even had a small role in it. Parts of this version were FILMED at the Stanley Hotel.

ShiningGekko_zps4b99bca6.jpg

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.:gun: