spielbergfilms.com gone?

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Hi everyone,

I'm going to keep this as brief as possible since it's really hard for me to write. After well over a year of struggle and back-and-forth debate (both internal and with my better half), I've come to the very, very difficult decision to call it a great run here on SpielbergFilms and ride off into that goodnight.

http://www.spielbergfilms.com/general/1609

WTF?

This is sad news. I'm thankful for the time the site was up and for all the work and passion Steven put into this. Sure..I sometimes disagreed with the nature of the articles or certain message boards posts. The site tended to feel like an anauthorized official site, but I guess that's just one of the problems or traps of "celebrity/idol/artist"-fansites. Despite all that it was a pretty cool resource for all things concerning the Berg. It was one of the places I tried to check out on a daily basis. Nice news roundup, occasional articles, some insightful people on the boards.

The weirdest thing, though, is that I have the recollection of a similar thing happening at spielbergfilms a few years ago. I might be wrong, but I remember that after reading a message quite similar to this one I stopped visiting the site only to discover some months (or even years?) later that the site was still or (yet again/I'm don't know about that) running...
(Does anybody remember an incident like that?)

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The forum just shuttered. No locked archives, nothing, except:
As our forum has become prematurely redundant before its announced closure at the end of this month, we're shutting down here. The main site will remain until January 31. Thanks for the memories, friends.
I had about a hundred posts there, but some had thousands. Poor folks.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Last edited:

torao

Moderator Emeritus
So...the boards are gone now too?

After having been out of town and offline for a couple of weeks I just tried to check back at spielbergfilms.com only to read this message:

SpielbergFilms.com is now permanently closed after seven years of serving Steven Spielberg fans online. Thank you for your continual interest in our site. SpielbergFilms.com 2001-2008

What a bummer.
I liked Steven's reasonable response to KOCS and while some of the regular posters didn't have anything worthwhile to say there were a couple of members with very insightful opinions and knowledge to share.

Does anybody know what happened?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It disappeared this weekend. They took up a collection to keep it running, but apparently it didn't last. I didn't expect it to. It was a better place for breaking Indy news due to less clutter, but in the end the only lost thread that comes to mind that I wish I'd copied was number 610...

Edit: never mind, found it elsewhere. :)
http://forgottensilver.blogspot.com/2008/05/le-btisier-indit-du-temple-maudit.html
And the blog noticed it only after I resurrected the thread this May.
Not gonna let this one slip away again.
http://moedred.livejournal.com/2008/08/05/
Any other gems we may have lost with the board's demise?

Last edited:

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Oh man ...somehow I never got around to reading that whole thing. And somehow I even lost track of our very own Blooper thread... Thanks for saving this, Moedred!!

Any other gems we may have lost with the board's demise?
I can't think of anything specific in the league of the jewel you unearthed. But many other smaller threads come to mind that were just a nice collection of thoughts and information...

I knew that they collected money to keep the place running but I had no idea that it wasn't enough. I also find it weird that there's no substitute place for the community.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The Man said:
How much would it cost to run? Roughly?
This year Steven Awalt posted the maintenance costs... I think if they paid about $500 to own the software it would have from then on been a few hundred a year. Without ads, it was probably all out of Mr. Awalt's pocket. It was vBulletin software, same as here. They have their own website with rates and a bulletin board (moderated?) where they talk about... vBulletin.

Awalt had a lot of great articles and exclusives he could post for free like I do at livejournal... don't know why he doesn't.

Sankara

Spielbergfilms.com closed

Does everybody know why spielbergfilms.com is closed forever??? Okay, "Skull" is an embarrassing movie and a shame for all Spielberg-Fans like me - but is this the reason?