Infernal Machine working on modern machines

kohlmark

IAdventurer01 said:
Interesting. This looks to be a bit better maintained than the one I found back in 2011.

Do you know if this installer includes a fix for the missing function call crash at the beginning of Palawan Temple that affected Win 7/8/8.1 x64 ? I was never particularly happy with the fix I made for that bug.

Hi!
The script sequence error from level 7, palavan temple, is fixed.
On replaying.de, you can always download my played savegames, if you need
I played the game entirely, without bugs and crashes, on windows 8.1 x64, with the german and the english version of the game.

You have to navigato "Leserartikel" and chose the article: "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine: SaveGames"

Lambonius

Wow. This works like a dream! Thank you! This game was always such a hassle to get running, and this takes all the work out of it. You should post this over at GoG--even though they don't sell the game yet, their people might be interested in this for when they do eventually put the game up on their site.

Do you guys know of a patch to get widescreen resolutions working properly? The game lets me set it to my laptop's native 1366x768, but the game clearly wasn't designed to run at that resolution, as it just zooms in and crops the 4:3 image, cutting off the menu icons at the bottom.

And lastly, is there an English version of the replaying.de site? I'd love to check it out further, but alas, I'm not a German speaker.

Last edited:

kohlmark

Lambonius said:
Wow. This works like a dream! Thank you! This game was always such a hassle to get running, and this takes all the work out of it. You should post this over at GoG--even though they don't sell the game yet, their people might be interested in this for when they do eventually put the game up on their site.

Glad to hear that it helps. I have already posted twice on gog.com, at the comments regarding the wishlist of "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine", that there there has already been developed an installer (also user kohlmark). Furthermore i opened a help ticket two times, whithin i offered support for further developing.
But i always got reply, like standard template wording, so they never are able to speak about possible releases in the future
So i suppose, that did not help.

I also hope, that it will come on gog.com

kohlmark

libovec said:
Hi, great work!
Could you please tell me what those additional modifications are?

Since I have not made the modifications myself, I can not tell you that in detail.
According to the person who made the adjustments, this were changes to make the game more stable. If you want to know it in detail, I can inquire and give you Feedback.
As far as i know, the Person who did the modifications, is not a professional programmer himself, in case so he said, he tryed to do some changes to get more stablity.

libovec

Infernal Machine resources

Hello everyone!

I've been playing IM for a realy long time and lately I got an idea of getting as much as possible out of the .GOB resource files. You know, sounds, textures, models, maps...

The sound went out with Indiana Jones Infernal Machine Toolbox, which extracted the GOBs and CNDs.

The models (indy, weapons, various objects, vehicles and so on) are in .3do and can be opened and viewed in 3D Object Converter.

As for maps, at first I thought that models of maps would be within the same folder with other models, but I cant find any..
Does anybody know where to find these?

And textures are I think in the .mat files, but I cant find anywhere how to extract it.
Does anybody know how to extract the .mat files?

Thanks!

Lambonius

The game runs fine for me using this installer, but I've noticed that the game always defaults to 16-bit color, even when I clearly select 32-bit in the graphics options. Any idea how to force the 32-bit color? Anyone else have this issue?

kohlmark

Lambonius said:
The game runs fine for me using this installer, but I've noticed that the game always defaults to 16-bit color, even when I clearly select 32-bit in the graphics options. Any idea how to force the 32-bit color? Anyone else have this issue?

We also know this "bug" of the game. We tried to fix it in the last weeks and months. But it was not possible till now.
To play the game on 32bit color depth, you can change it in the video options ingame, by using shortcut oder [ESC], for entering the inventory.
Unfortunately, you have to do this change, after every restart of the game.

One week ago, i finished building my "Retro" computer, with Windows 98 SE.
Until then, i thought, that this problem was an bug, by using modern operating systems, but i recognized, that same issue, occurs on Windows 98SE. I will do some test on the retro computer, in the next days.

We also tried to costumize the registriy settings and more, but actually, we were not able to fix it till now.

At the Moment we are trying to modify the reading buffer of the installer, for better compatibilty, with older CD-ROM Drives.

If we will be able to fix the 16Bit/32Bit issue in the future, we will upload the new installer for sure.

kohlmark

Here you will find compatible savegames (direct Link):
http://img.replaying.de/Infernal-Machine-Savegames.rar
Link to the thread:
http://www.replaying.de/leserartikel/indiana-jones-and-the-infernal-machine-savegames-download/

Furthermore you can download covers here, if you need (link to thread):
http://www.replaying.de/leserartikel/indiana-jones-and-the-infernal-machine-cover/

Link to all readers articles (german: Leserartikel):
http://www.replaying.de/leserartikel/

P.S.: I uploaded the image files, also on coverlib.com, but there i had to compress the pictures. On replaying.de i uploaded the original files.

fz902

Messing with Cog scripts. (All items/unreachable places)

After discovering a resource-extractor, I learned that apart from materials, models, etc. there are also loads of Cog scripts extracted. I decided to edit them for fun and to see, what I can achieve despite my awful programming skills. Well, the results are better than I thought. For instance I was able to edit the All Weapons Cheat so it gives me EVERY possible item and 9999 ammo and the Canyonlands script so Indy doesn't slide at the beginning and that the level finishes straight after walking into the finish trigger. What's so special about it ?

This is what I always wanted to achieve when I was a kid:

Yes, the Parts actually work. I was shocked when I realised that the enemy behavior is programmed to ignore invisible player when the player wasn't supposed to be !

What else does the new cheat give us ? Unused items ! What were they originally designed for ? Share your thoughts.

Scrapped Shambala Waterworks items ?

Were we originally supposed to find a lever handle ?

Was the secret map originally added to the inventory after buying ?

Unnamed treasures. Normally inaccessible through the inventory:

How about accessing inaccessible areas ? No problem.

If there's anyone interested in this "hacking", wants more areas to be shown or savegames/scripts to be shared, let me know.

Lambonius

kohlmark said:
We also know this "bug" of the game. We tried to fix it in the last weeks and months. But it was not possible till now.
To play the game on 32bit color depth, you can change it in the video options ingame, by using shortcut oder [ESC], for entering the inventory.
Unfortunately, you have to do this change, after every restart of the game.

I did a little fiddling around with this, and I seem to have been able to achieve the 32bit color depth by doing something similar to what you mentioned. Changing it in-game does seem to work, but as you said, it has to be done every time you restart. Changing it from the launcher, however, does not work--it always defaults to 16bit when the game actually loads.

libovec

Hi,
yesterday I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 x64. Everythyng runs just fine... Except for Indy. On win 8.1 x64 it was without any problems, but now it crashes anytime I press the Resrume play in luncher... Is there somebody with the same issue who managed to find a solution?
Thanks.

Lambonius

I would hold out upgrading to Windows 10 for as long as humanly possible. The brand new operating systems always cause huge problems for older software right out of the gate. If you're lucky, someone may develop a fix to run Indy on Windows 10 a year or two down the line, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

kohlmark

libovec said:
Hi,
yesterday I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 x64. Everythyng runs just fine... Except for Indy. On win 8.1 x64 it was without any problems, but now it crashes anytime I press the Resrume play in luncher... Is there somebody with the same issue who managed to find a solution?
Thanks.

I have to appologise for my very late reply, but i was not able to sign in, to the raven.net for many weeks. Now the administrators were able to fix the issue.

We are working to upgrade the installer, cause the *.sdb file is not loading. This is the reason, why the launcher crashes, if you want to load a saved game.
Actually you can only perfom a workaround, starting a "new game" and load the savestate ingame.

Kind Regards.

kohlmark

kohlmark said:
You can download it here (direct link):
http://www.replaying.de/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=80

The installer continues to be regularly updated, if there will be done new modifications in the future.
It is possible, that some anti virus software, will detect malware, but i promise, the files are absolutely clean!

Installer_Teaser-551x700.png

The installer has recently been updated. The issue with the *.sdb file has been fixed.
Now it always works on Windows 10.

Again by replaying.de and indiana-jones-forum.de user "Penumbra" - Very Thanks!
(The installer has been created from replaying.de user and Administrator "Malte")

The bug concering the crashing launcher, if you want to load a saved game, can not be fixed at the moment. You still have to perform the workarround, to load the savestate ingame.

Kind regards
Markus

Electroshock

If anyone on Windows 10 is still having issues with the item pick-up/inventory bug, I may have found a solution.

I've found out that I never get the pick-up/inventory bug when I'm running screen recording software. I'm using Shadowplay from NVIDIA and I've completed the game without an issue. I've also tried the free Apowersoft recorder that you always have to access via their website. It's not good for recording gameplay, but if you want to play Infernal Machine then it's still a useful alternative if you don't have a built-in recorder like Shadowplay. So yes, that means that every time I want to play Infernal Machine, I have to record. Every. Time. Oh well. It's sooooo much better than constantly resetting the level or using strategic quick-saves every time I want to pick up something.

Apparently, if I read this correctly, running Windows Media Player fixed this issue in Windows XP. Just for kicks, I did try this, but it no longer works. Recording software seems to have taken Media Player's place as the go-to fix.

As a disclaimer, I cannot promise this will work for you as I have only tested this on my computer. I don't know if it has something to do with my current set-up or whatever. But I think it's worth checking out.

kohlmark

Electroshock said:
If anyone on Windows 10 is still having issues with the item pick-up/inventory bug, I may have found a solution.

I've found out that I never get the pick-up/inventory bug when I'm running screen recording software. I'm using Shadowplay from NVIDIA and I've completed the game without an issue. I've also tried the free Apowersoft recorder that you always have to access via their website. It's not good for recording gameplay, but if you want to play Infernal Machine then it's still a useful alternative if you don't have a built-in recorder like Shadowplay. So yes, that means that every time I want to play Infernal Machine, I have to record. Every. Time. Oh well. It's sooooo much better than constantly resetting the level or using strategic quick-saves every time I want to pick up something.

Apparently, if I read this correctly, running Windows Media Player fixed this issue in Windows XP. Just for kicks, I did try this, but it no longer works. Recording software seems to have taken Media Player's place as the go-to fix.

As a disclaimer, I cannot promise this will work for you as I have only tested this on my computer. I don't know if it has something to do with my current set-up or whatever. But I think it's worth checking out.

The problems conercing stucked inventory, are caused by "to" fast cpu´s.
I suppose that this workarround works in this/your case, 'cause screen recording requires many Performance most of time.

In the past, the inventory bug was fixed, via running a lot of applications in the background, but this was the time, processors like Pentium 4 were the best available hardware.
Nowadays, where we have CPUs with lots of cores and potent hardware, something like this is not enough any longer.
So i think Screen recordering may be a viable alternative.

Canyon

Kholmark, THANK YOU for posting this!

I managed to play Infernal Machine again after several years and it works beautifully!!! :)

Thanks once again! :D

kohlmark

Canyon said:
Kholmark, THANK YOU for posting this!

I managed to play Infernal Machine again after several years and it works beautifully!!! :)

Thanks once again! :D

You´re very welcome!
I am happy about every single person, which is able to play this jewel of a game again :)

IMfan

Dear, fz902

Can you please tell me how you hacked on your game? My game has cog strips too, but i do not know how to hack on them. Be awfully nice how to do that. ;)