"Don't Think We Wanna Go That Way"

The Man

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=adNStTAQ146Y&refer=europe

Scientists tomorrow (Sept. 10th) will take a step closer to understanding the beginning of time when the European Organization for Nuclear Research powers up the world's biggest magnetic loop in the search for the universe's missing matter.

Yay! (y)

As the particles lap at close to the speed of light some will collide, triggering new particles that may also help scientists understand why the expansion of the universe is accelerating instead of slowing as predicted by theory.

Eh? :confused:

The unknown outcome has prompted a challenge at the European Court of Human Rights by chemist Otto Roessler, of the University of Tuebingen in Germany, to try to stop the experiment, claiming the event will create a BLACK HOLE that will destroy the planet.

Nay! (n)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/moEzECvJDas&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/moEzECvJDas&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Agent Crab

Oh relax... jeeze..

The world is NOT gonna end with this machine. I am really getting fed up with the doomsayer and scaremonger crap.

It's a 1 in a million chance that it would create a black hole or microblack holes.

The scaremongers and doomsayers don't understand the LHC much.

Yes, they're putting a low-energy beam around the LHC on the 10th September. They're not making any collisions then, though. Absolutely nothing will happen, even if the apocalypse forecasters are right.

The LHC will be officially opened on the 21st October, and shortly after that they'll be performing the first collisions.

There's nothing to worry about yet, and of course there's nothing to worry about at all.

You can go back to your regular daily outtin's.

You have a better chance of a mass extinction if some weird guy bathed in gasoline, had enough explosives around him and a lit match that he farted on killing us all.

Read these.

http://www.interactions.org/cms/?pid=1026761

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastro...troy-the-earth/

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/06/21/ne...arth-after-all/

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html

The Man

Agent Crab said:
You have a better chance of a mass extinction if some weird guy bathed in gasoline, had enough explosives around him and a lit match that he farted on killing us all.

Thank you. The 'black hole' possibility doesn't seem so bad now.

Agent Crab

The Man said:
Thank you. The 'black hole' possibility doesn't seem so bad now.

No problem.

Leave it to scaremongers, doomsayers and wannabe scientists to blow things out of whack.

Forbidden Eye

Hehe. My science class was about nothing but this topic, and I was just coming to post a thread.

Well, since this is the end, it was fun to get to know you guys. I obviously was involved with conflicts, but that has turned out insignificant in the long one.

I guess this will be my last post. Farewell everybody! At least we lived long enough to see Indiana Jones 4! (y)

kongisking

Forbidden Eye said:
Hehe. My science class was about nothing but this topic, and I was just coming to post a thread.

Well, since this is the end, it was fun to get to know you guys. I obviously was involved with conflicts, but that has turned out insignificant in the long one.

I guess this will be my last post. Farewell everybody! At least we lived long enough to see Indiana Jones 4! (y)

Yeah, and it was frakkin' awesome, to boot! (y)

Stoo

Forbidden Eye said:
Ha ha! CERN is on the outskirts of Geneva and straddles the Swiss/French border.
I was there last year and it was mind-boggling. Nice knowing you, Forbidden Eye.:hat:
The site is close to me so I'll be sucked in first!:dead: Yeah, at least we lived to see another Indy...

Gear

Agent Crab said:
Leave it to scaremongers, doomsayers and wannabe scientists to blow things out of whack.

And leave it to you guys to sound like you're in control.

If they found that there was even a margin of danger (which they say is non existent) they wouldn't release that information.

I love this statement; "The possibility of any dangerous consequences contradicts what astronomers see - stars and galaxies still exist."

Stars and other cosmic bodies are destroyed all the time. Also, according to astronomers, we have only seen 10% of our universe, so do we really know enough to say?

indy34

If it is was so dangerous they wouldn't be doing it:rolleyes:
Steven hawking's bet $100 that they won't find what there looking for by doing this:p

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
The other thing is I had never heard about particle accelerators till a couple of days ago and the articles I have read to research further so I can draw my own conclusions, have pretty much said that particle collisions are not new and have been done before WITHOUT this much media attention. It's just the fact that this is the biggest one ever made and that it's 2 degrees Celcius from Absolute Zero, that this is closer to making the conditions similar to the billionth or trillionth of a second after the Big Bang.

I don't believe from everything I've read that this is the end of the world. I do believe that there are really two sides of the coin: one side, it was a complete waste of billions of dollars and nothing new is learnt or the other side, something new will be learnt (the God particle). It will be interesting to see if the String Theory still stands. I do believe that the media has blown this out of proportion as it often does and well, a headline like "Black Holes Suck Up Earth" sells more than "Scientists build garguantan machine in Alps to find special particle to explain the building blocks of the universe".

I also think that if they do find anything, we will be the last to know.

I'm one of those people who also believe that the universe operates in a number of dimensions and my Harold Oxley theory of the day is that this could open a portal to another dimension or just give us a glimpse of "the space between spaces." KOTCS might just have some science to it after all. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why they have bothered announcing it. I seriously would have thought that they would have kept it quiet to stop panic. And I wouldn't be surprised if they have already done a simulation at the least to be so confident that the Earth won't get destroyed. I mean, the scientists I saw in the doco just laughed at the idea. Evidently they know a lot more than I do, but there's something they're not telling us. At least, I'm suspicious.

No Ticket

Once upon a time people said a certain ship was unsinkable. Who would've thought eh... on it's maiden voyage...

indy34

Violet Indy said:
I do believe that the media has blown this out of proportion as it often does and well, a headline like "Black Holes Suck Up Earth" sells more than "Scientists build garguantan machine in Alps to find special particle to explain the building blocks of the universe".
They do it all the time I logged on to msn once and the headlines said "news reporter shot by sniper on TV" I thought holy sh** turns out when I watched the video that she was only shot at and one of the bullets skimmed her arm causing her to bleed:rolleyes:

Stoo

Mid-October is when it will reach maximum so if we are going to go bye-bye, it'll be then...:eek:

The Man

Stoo said:
Mid-October is when it will reach maximum so if we are going to go bye-bye, it'll be then...:eek:

But Quantum Of Solace isn't due out until the end of that month! The apocalypse had better not interfere with that...:mad: