Indy 5 news 2017

Pale Horse

Staff member
Harrison Ford has Alzheimer's

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u5wIuTTYqzI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raiders90

Here's what everyone on the anti-Ford camp is missing:

Just because Ford is 75, does not mean Indy has to be 75
. It wouldn't be the first time Harrison is playing an Indy younger than he is. In LC he was a 47 year old man playing a 39 year old, for example. In KOTCS he was 65 playing a 58 year old. Throw makeup on him, adjust the light, and he could pass for his early, mid 60s, which isn't unbelievable.

I mean, wasn't Clint Eastwood still doing action films at 72? John Wayne was 68 years old doing action films while suffering from cancer. Arnold is returning for another Terminator film and bringing Linda Hamilton along with him. Gilbert Roland was still doing Westerns in his 70s. Clark Gable did The Misfits at 60, doing his own stunts where he's dragged by a horse. Charles Bronson was 73 in his last action film. Age is just a number.

Why can't Indy, the character, still be out adventuring at age 63, 64, 65?

Secondly, there are these guys called stunt men. Harrison has never been big on stunts anyway. You digitally paste his face on a stunt guy and you can have Indy do whatever you want him to - within reason, obviously. It's called movie magic.

You didn't mind when Harrison's back was out for a good chunk of TOD and it was a stuntman doing a majority of the action, did you?

There's also ways to pace the action in an intelligent way to have it be both believable and still exciting. One of the criticisms of the series since Temple of Doom has been that the action/antics/stunts have become increasingly unbelievable. Indy being older is a great way to get back to more realistic and less over the top action scenes. It's actually interesting to me; to see Indy solving problems in a more clever, but still exciting way. Using his whip as more of a defensive weapon rather than playing Zorro.

His age allows for more gun play, something sorely missing since 1984. It allows for him to realistically get his ass kicked, like he did back in TOD and Raiders.

Secondly, you don't have to be a young man to know how to shoot or throw a punch.

What exactly are we expecting Indy to do that an older man can't do?

Maybe I'm blessed with the fact that I have a grandfather who can probably beat the crap out of men half his age, so my view on age is pretty generous. My grandpa is 88 years old, God bless him. He's got all his marbles and talks more coherently than most of his kids. He still drives. He doesn't even need glasses to drive. He doesn't drive like an old man - I was with the sucker last week and he was hitting 90 on the highway. He still goes out everyday and picks up heavy bundles of wood for his fireplace. He still mows the lawn by himself, even despite the fact that he's on his third hernia. When he was 68, 20 years ago, he was up in the trees by my old house - 30, 40 feet in the air - pruning them.

My grandmother on the other side was still working up to 4 years ago, and she's just turned 90. Her job was, in her words, taking care of "old people." She was taking care of a woman not much older than her - bathing her, doing house chores, walking her - in her 80s. She would walk at least 2 to 3 miles a day in her 80s and do her shopping and house chores herself. Still has all her marbles too.

So, maybe, seeing my grandpa being such a badass at 88, and my grandmother be in such amazing shape at 90, has skewed my views. But you shouldn't count an old dog out. Not til the man upstairs says its his time to go.

If Harrison is still alive, still breathing, and still has all his marbles, there's no reason the old boy can't deliver a good, convincing, exciting performance.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
... and still has all his marbles, there's no reason the old boy can't deliver a good, convincing, exciting performance.

... And that's the rub...

He does not have all his marbles. And it's becoming increasingly and exponentially evident

Raiders90

Pale Horse said:

He does not have all his marbles. And it's becoming increasingly and exponentially evident

Because he gave a bad interview? You've been campaigning against Harrison since before KOTCS came out. I don't know why in all honesty - but, you're a Mod so I can't really question you. "Increasingly and exponentially evident." For every awkward and sluggish interview you can pull up, I can pull up one which is totally normal, and energetic; for every awkward and sluggish interview you can pull up from the past year, I can pull up an awkward and sluggish one from the 1980s and 1990s.

Harrison Ford has never, with perhaps the exception of 1977, been a consistently good interviewee. He's socially awkward. He's goofy. He's a bit weird and probably is on the Autistic Spectrum or suffers from social anxiety, if we're making diagnoses here. You KNOW this, just as well as I do. You know Harrison Ford is a pretty odd guy when he's not on the big screen. But you cherry pick. You'll pull up that one goofy eyed gif again and again, and ignore every good picture, or make some handwaving comment; you don't respond to any energetic, really invested interviews. Those don't fit the narrative you're trying to push, so I understand why you'd ignore them.

I'm sorry if it comes off disrespectful, but it really does seem, at times, like you hate Harrison Ford.

You can deny it if you want, but I don't go around trying to get an actor I like pushed off a project. You campaign and try to shove down everyone else's throat that he's not supposed to be in this film, and the implication is that anyone who doesn't share your opinion is wrong, stupid, and a person who "puts actor over character."

I don't go around spreading really cruel rumors about actors I like, or even ones I don't like (saying he has Alhzheimer's is very cruel, and diminishes the absolute horror that that disease is). It comes off really petty on your end, again, no offense meant, but to go there, saying, as if it is absolute fact, that he has an incurable, progressive, wasting brain disease that is like a living death, simply because you don't want him to play Indy again? Pretty low blow. Very low.

Harrison Ford is a known, massive pothead. He's been so for decades. He also probably does other drugs as most in Hollywood do. My dad is 63 - ten years younger than Harrison roughly - and he couldn't tell you my birthday if you asked him. He couldn't even tell you his own parents' birthdays. He sometimes has trouble with names, or with other things of that soft. He doesn't have Alzheimer's; been checked. He simply smokes Pot.

I don't smoke Pot and sometimes I couldn't tell you what I had for dinner last night.

If Harrison Ford had Alzheimer's, do you think the studio would be able to insure him for a big budget, massive film like Blade Runner?

I'm sorry but, as someone whose worked with older people, and seen the ravaging, absolutely nightmarish effects that disease can wreck on someone, it really does, in all seriousness, strike me as a very low, low blow to say someone has it simply because you don't like them or don't want them being in a movie. It's cruel.

Raiders90

Harrison has been known as a "weird" interviewee since at least 2010. He's come off stoned out of his gourd several times in interviews in recent years. It's called Pot.

If you want to see a guy actually in the early stages of Alzheimer's in an interview, watch Ronald Reagan's final interview with Larry King in January 1991 (He would be formally diagnosed in late 1993). That's what an Alzheimer's patient, who has the beginning stages of the disease, really looks and sounds like.

Early Alzheimer's patients try to overcompensate for their declining memory in interviews or in other such situations, as if they are trying to fight against the deterioration, and it's very obvious; it comes off forced and stilted; watch Reagan's interview for examples of this.

My friend is a man in his 50s who unfortunately is in the beginning stages of early-onset Alzheimer's. He is still lucid, but sometimes he'll repeat something he said a few minutes prior. It's not a big deal; he never veers off into being incoherent or forgetting where he is or who he is talking to or any such thing. He is a bit slower mentally than he was a year ago; Projects he does take longer than they once would have. But he isn't totally disabled yet - he still is able to do his craft. But again, the same forced speech patterns happen with him; you can tell he is fighting with the disease. It's a very obvious thing that is hard to hide.

Harrison comes off as a socially awkward old pothead.

Silvor

Raiders112390 said:
Harrison has been known as a "weird" interviewee since at least 2010. He's come off stoned out of his gourd several times in interviews in recent years. It's called Pot.
Actually he has social anxiety.
He's always done awkward interviews ever since the Star Wars days.
According to Harrison Ford, public speaking is, “a mixed bag of terror and anxiety.”
I think it's best to just ignore the ones who apparently has something against Ford by this point. It's pretty apparent they don't want to actually have a discussion, they're trolling at this point. Just ignore them.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

When Ford is on Conan it's magical. Doesn't look like he'll be making an appearance as part of the Blade Runner junket, sadly.

Indy Jones

Pale Horse said:

Honestly, dude. I get it--you don't want to see Ford play Indy again. That's your prerogative and your right. So... don't see the next film.

I honestly feel you could be using your position as a moderator to authoritate your negative outlook over others who are positive. At least be decent enough to stop trying to rain on everyone's parade about it.

Yeah, he's old. If he were stepping into the boxing ring I'd say "Harrison, don't do it!" But he's not going to actually be fighting people. It's a movie. So again I say--if it sounds stupid to you, that's fine. Don't see it, and let those who are open to it enjoy the possibilities.

That would be the courteous thing to do, anyway.

JasonMa

Raiders112390 said:
Here's what everyone on the anti-Ford camp is missing:
We're not missing it (though calling it "anti-Ford" is a bit harsh), I'm just not convinced that the team can come up with a convincing script that pulls it off well.

I actually hated the scene in the warehouse in KOTCS where Indy's whip swing failed and he realizes that used to work. It felt more like they were laughing about his age and making Indy into somebody who couldn't come to grips with his own age. My concern is that an old Indy-only film becomes 2 hours of that, Indy stumbling around trying to do what he did as a young man and turning it into comical pratfalls that manage to keep him safe due to dumb luck/comic timing instead of actual skill. Looking at KOTCS makes this fear worse, not better.

If they can come up with a good script I think Ford can pull it off (as long as they don't delay filming any longer) but the line they need to walk gets finer by the day. That why, IMO, the best thing for the franchise as a whole is a combination movie where we see Ford's Indy in some action scenes but we also see flashbacks to a new young-Indy handling the big set pieces. Its more likely they pull that off successfully and it sets up the franchise for further movies going forward.

Because that's the other concern with a Ford-only movie. It comes out, it does ok, but Disney decides that with nothing to build off of they don't do any more with the franchise on the big screen. By accepting in a young-Indy even a decent return on their money gives Disney an easy way to move the story forward (or backwards in this case). And which would you rather have, one more Ford movie and nothing else, or a split movie with more Indy non-Ford movies in the future?

Raiders90

JasonMa said:
We're not missing it (though calling it "anti-Ford" is a bit harsh), I'm just not convinced that the team can come up with a convincing script that pulls it off well.

I actually hated the scene in the warehouse in KOTCS where Indy's whip swing failed and he realizes that used to work. It felt more like they were laughing about his age and making Indy into somebody who couldn't come to grips with his own age. My concern is that an old Indy-only film becomes 2 hours of that, Indy stumbling around trying to do what he did as a young man and turning it into comical pratfalls that manage to keep him safe due to dumb luck/comic timing instead of actual skill. Looking at KOTCS makes this fear worse, not better.

If they can come up with a good script I think Ford can pull it off (as long as they don't delay filming any longer) but the line they need to walk gets finer by the day. That why, IMO, the best thing for the franchise as a whole is a combination movie where we see Ford's Indy in some action scenes but we also see flashbacks to a new young-Indy handling the big set pieces. Its more likely they pull that off successfully and it sets up the franchise for further movies going forward.

Because that's the other concern with a Ford-only movie. It comes out, it does ok, but Disney decides that with nothing to build off of they don't do any more with the franchise on the big screen. By accepting in a young-Indy even a decent return on their money gives Disney an easy way to move the story forward (or backwards in this case). And which would you rather have, one more Ford movie and nothing else, or a split movie with more Indy non-Ford movies in the future?

I'd prefer one last Ford movie and close up shop in all honesty. I don't want to see Indy films be pimped out year after year like Star Wars.

What people don't get that is that Ford IS the character. It's not like James Bond where there is an underlying set of novels which allow for differing interpretations of the character. It's also not like Bond in that Connery only played Bond for 8 years. Ford has been in the role for almost 40 years.

Everything we love about Indy - the mannerisms, the voice, the characterization - comes from Harrison Ford.

That's "the rub". Indy is pretty much defined by Harrison in a way no iconic character is so tied to an actor. Harrison is also the last of a dying breed of actors - the wooden, Bogart/Gable type of masculine man's man actor; deep, authoritative voice, etc. There are not many who can replicate that, or even do their own spin on it. He pulls off portraying a man of that era because his acting style is pretty much out of that era; Ford was and is a throwback to earlier cinema.

Some stupid kid actor isn't going to cut it.

Also, do you really want to see Indiana Jones movies becoming progressively more politically correct in this modern age? Especially under ultra-politically correct Disney? Raiders and Temple of Doom could certainly not be made today. Showing "primitive" natives throwing spears? RACIST! Indy aggressively kissing Elsa? RAPIST! Indy ranting to Elsa how since he met her he's been shot at and almost killed? MANSPLAINING! SJWs would attack the very foundation of the series as being "cultural appropriation", and unfortunately, these are the types of people who run Disney.

So yes, I'd prefer Ford to have one last outing, end the series on a good note, and if Disney wants to keep the franchise going, you can always do cartoons, more books, more video games, more toys, etc.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
anti-Ford camp
There is no such thing here.
You are just trying to vilify anyone who doesn't share your views, while at the same time accusing them of trying to silence you.

Did you even bother to read my previous post? I made my position very clear.
And how do you explain this?

And Pale Horse? Do you seriously believe that someone who has been posting on these boards for 15 years can possibly hate the man?

FAIL.

Raiders112390 said:
Ford IS the character
In your opinion.

Raiders112390 said:
SJWs would attack the very foundation of the series as being "cultural appropriation", and unfortunately, these are the types of people who run Disney.
Ha! That is the funniest thing I've read here for a long, long time.

You come across as the ultimate SJW yourself with your petulant tone, non-stop virtue signaling and your screaming AGEIST at anyone who dares to disagree with your views.
What next, are you going to call us fascists? or nazis?

What a laugh.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
There is no such thing here.
You are just trying to vilify anyone who doesn't share your views, while at the same time accusing them of trying to silence you.

Did you even bother to read my previous post? I made my position very clear.
And how do you explain this?

And Pale Horse? Do you seriously believe that someone who has been posting on these boards for 15 years can possibly hate the man?

FAIL.

In your opinion.

Ha! That is the funniest thing I've read here for a long, long time.

You come across as the ultimate SJW yourself with your petulant tone, non-stop virtue signaling and your screaming AGEIST at anyone who dares to disagree with your views.
What next, are you going to call us fascists? or nazis?

What a laugh.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. Case closed. But, people like you won't trample on those who disagree. And I guess ageism really isn't a thing, eh? Man, when Ford dies, please, be open in your celebration, Nolanite. Don't hide it.

Z dweller

Raiders112390 said:
I guess we'll just agree to disagree. Case closed. But, people like you won't trample on those who disagree. And I guess ageism really isn't a thing, eh? Man, when Ford dies, please, be open in your celebration, Nolanite. Don't hide it.
FAIL AGAIN.

I proved beyond any doubt that I am no Ford hater, and all you can do is make a stupid quip and try to run away.
And what has Nolan got to do with anything?

Embarassing.

Carry on, you are well on course to becoming the resident laughing stock.

Face_Melt

Why are you guys arguing about all of this? We are getting a sequel starring Harrison Ford. That?s that.

JasonMa

Raiders112390 said:
What people don't get that is that Ford IS the character.
You keep using "people don't get" when you mean "people don't agree". Because, you know, I can think of 4 other actors who have played Indy on screen, two of which for more total minutes than Ford has.

Raiders112390 said:
It's also not like Bond in that Connery only played Bond for 8 years. Ford has been in the role for almost 40 years.
Of course the number of years an actor played a character is meaningless, its the number of films. Connery played Bond for the first 5 films, more than Ford's played Indy, and there was no issue with switching to a new actor and then, eventually, coming back to Connery for 2 more films. If anything the Bond history is a strong argument for a change, not against it.

Raiders112390 said:
Everything we love about Indy - the mannerisms, the voice, the characterization - comes from Harrison Ford.

Everything we love about Bond - the mannerisms, the voice, the characterization - comes from Sean Connery...until it didn't.

Raiders112390 said:
Some stupid kid actor isn't going to cut it.
Who said it had to be a "kid" actor? Harrison was what, 34 when he filmed Raiders? Chris Pratt, who has been suggested for the role (not sure I'm sold on him, but its an example) is 38.

Raiders112390 said:
Also, do you really want to see Indiana Jones movies becoming progressively more politically correct in this modern age?
:rolleyes: Besides many (most?) of your examples being absurd I don't understand how there's a problem with, you know, actually thinking about what you're putting on film before you film it. Like it or not there are some real issues with Temple. Not so much that I think it needs to be whitewashed going forward but certainly enough to raise some eyebrows when you watch it today, especially for non-Indy fans who haven't studied the context.

Yes, you can whip out your SJW insult all you want, but that's just ignoring that there are better ways and worse ways to deal with things in film. I have no problem with Spielberg & Co, being pushed to do better.

Raiders90

JasonMa said:
You keep using "people don't get" when you mean "people don't agree". Because, you know, I can think of 4 other actors who have played Indy on screen, two of which for more total minutes than Ford has.

Of course the number of years an actor played a character is meaningless, its the number of films. Connery played Bond for the first 5 films, more than Ford's played Indy, and there was no issue with switching to a new actor and then, eventually, coming back to Connery for 2 more films. If anything the Bond history is a strong argument for a change, not against it.

Everything we love about Bond - the mannerisms, the voice, the characterization - comes from Sean Connery...until it didn't.

Who said it had to be a "kid" actor? Harrison was what, 34 when he filmed Raiders? Chris Pratt, who has been suggested for the role (not sure I'm sold on him, but its an example) is 38.

:rolleyes: Besides many (most?) of your examples being absurd I don't understand how there's a problem with, you know, actually thinking about what you're putting on film before you film it. Like it or not there are some real issues with Temple. Not so much that I think it needs to be whitewashed going forward but certainly enough to raise some eyebrows when you watch it today, especially for non-Indy fans who haven't studied the context.

Yes, you can whip out your SJW insult all you want, but that's just ignoring that there are better ways and worse ways to deal with things in film. I have no problem with Spielberg & Co, being pushed to do better.

We're not going to agree, so there is no point in talking. If Ford is in it, simply don't see it, boycott it :) Simple solution to both our problems :)

JasonMa

Raiders112390 said:
We're not going to agree, so there is no point in talking. If Ford is in it, simply don't see it, boycott it :) Simple solution to both our problems :)
Stop with the idiotic posts. At no point has anyone posted they refuse to see it if Ford is in it. It is possible to feel like there are better options and still appreciate what they do (if indeed they do go with a Ford-only movie).

Last edited: