Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Forbidden Eye

The article with Kurtz was interesting, but I certainly wouldn't call it gospel and believe that's the true story.

Sorry, but anyone who says Raiders of the Lost Ark "could've been better", or that "not enough effort" was put into it looses all their credibility by me.

It also doesn't explain why ROTJ was really good. Or all the Indy films for that matter.

No Ticket

Forbidden Eye said:
The article with Kurtz was interesting, but I certainly wouldn't call it gospel and believe that's the true story.

Sorry, but anyone who says Raiders of the Lost Ark "could've been better", or that "not enough effort" was put into it looses all their credibility by me.

It also doesn't explain why ROTJ was really good. Or all the Indy films for that matter.

ROTJ was the weakest. And he is just saying that Raiders could have been better given an original version of the story that he saw.

Plus. Why would he lie?

Forbidden Eye

No Ticket said:
Plus. Why would he lie?

I never said he was. I think it's merely his point-of-view/interpretation of events he witness and created an interesting but very questionable piece of gossip about events that happened 2 decades ago.

Last edited:

Shortie

DarthMickey said:
oh hell no this film was great. But he had many many people helping.I'd advise anyone to look at the 10+ minutes of credits.

It really as simple as this. The Beatles were the best group ever.With that said they had a classical trained producer making there records into masterpieces.The Beatles really were lucky to have george Martin.If they didn't have him who knows what would have happened.He deserves allot of credit.People who know music know this.

George Lucas had many great idea's but it's better when you bounce them around with others and see what else you can come up with and consider options.When Kurtz was there that's exactly what they did.Also when the Classic Star Wars was made, people could still tell Lucas" No we won't be doing that". Example Jabba was removed from the 1977 film. Lucas put it back later, but who cares.You really didn't need it. :sick:
Jabba was just going to be a fat man back in '77. Yeah, not as iconic as he is now.

Peacock's-Eye

This looks like awesome fun to me!

I think it could be a surprise hit of the summer - not any huge numbers, just a movie that more people go to see & enjoy than was expected.

DarthMickey

To the Forrest Moon!

:Shortie,-Jabba was going to be a sort of a Slimer looking from Ghost Busters sitting on top of that Fat man and was suppose to be put in later in Special effects. I personally would have prefered the Fat Man Alone. I 'm not a big fan of Jabba and the Ewoks etc etc. (Why all the sneaking around-Just blow up Jabba and his palace and go in and get Han!) I heard a kid say that that who was about 6 years old in 1983.Still makes me Laugh.

The Fact is on Jedi my Favorite Parts were the duel with Luke and Darth in the Emperors chambers. Oh and another Lucas blunder in my opinion.The director of Jedi had Loved the Duel in Empire strikes back with Luke and Darth and really wanted to top it in Jedi, but Lucas said No we've already seen that. That's BS. That's what everyone I know wanted to see in Jedi. Not Fur Balls! :sick:

CasualJeff

DarthMickey said:
That's a funny statement.I'd advise you to go back to school and learn a little bit more.Let me inform you of something. Lucas didnt write the music for these films.Lucas didn't design any of the space ships for the classic Star Wars, Lucas didn't even design the look of the Stormtroopers,Darth Vader, Yoda, AT-At's and much much more..Lucas didn't edit the Movie's as well. He had plenty of Help.Once he took control of everything the movies made millions but lost everything else.You need an education on these films.Kurtz, Kirshner and many others were involved in this process.Thank god for that, otherwise we may have gotten the Phantom menace 30 years ago! :dead:

Dude. When did I say Lucas did it alone? I certainly did not intend to convey such a thing. All I said is that Kurz is a nobody. He lucked into getting work with a brilliant young filmmaker named George Lucas, road his coattails for a little while and has spent his whole career since then complaining about how lousy Lucas is and how he never should have gotten rid of Kurz.

Lucas didn't make ANH by himself. He also didn't make TPM all by himself. There were plenty of people who made big-time contribution to the movies. I for one have the utmost resepct for Ralph McQuarrie and his group of artists. For my money, the original SW trilogy has the best art design of any movie I've ever seen. The designs still hold up, even today. Just look at any other scifi movie from that time period, and the designs totally look cheesy. But the Darth Vader mask/helmet still looks menacing to me. That is incredible. That is McQuarrie's doing, not George's. (Still, a coach gets credit for winning a championship even though he doesn't really "do" anything. He just puts everything together and assmbles the right people. In the same way, I also give credit to the director. I believe Lucas is the one who hired McQuarrie.)

My point about Kurz still stands. He talks big about how Lucas needs somebody who will stand up to him and challenge him creatively...but can anybody give me one specific example where Lucas had a bad idea and Kurz nixed it and produced a better idea? I've never heard of one. Kirshner had plenty of moments(and I give him all the credit in the world for ESB's success), and the actors had their share of moments. But I've never heard of one instance where Kurz helped the movie creatively. And considering he hasn't really done anything on his own, I feel justified in this opinion. Feel free to prove me wrong.

He just sounds bitter in all of his interviews--he's basically trashing everything that Lucas has done that hasn't involved him. Even Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is hailed as classic by just about everybody except for Gary "Boy, if *I* were in charge...!" Kurz.

Peacock's-Eye

CasualJeff said:
Dude. When did I say Lucas did it alone? I certainly did not intend to convey such a thing. All I said is that Kurz is a nobody. He lucked into getting work with a brilliant young filmmaker named George Lucas, road his coattails for a little while and has spent his whole career since then complaining about how lousy Lucas is and how he never should have gotten rid of Kurz.

Lucas didn't make ANH by himself. He also didn't make TPM all by himself. There were plenty of people who made big-time contribution to the movies. I for one have the utmost resepct for Ralph McQuarrie and his group of artists. For my money, the original SW trilogy has the best art design of any movie I've ever seen. The designs still hold up, even today. Just look at any other scifi movie from that time period, and the designs totally look cheesy. But the Darth Vader mask/helmet still looks menacing to me. That is incredible. That is McQuarrie's doing, not George's. (Still, a coach gets credit for winning a championship even though he doesn't really "do" anything. He just puts everything together and assmbles the right people. In the same way, I also give credit to the director. I believe Lucas is the one who hired McQuarrie.)

My point about Kurz still stands. He talks big about how Lucas needs somebody who will stand up to him and challenge him creatively...but can anybody give me one specific example where Lucas had a bad idea and Kurz nixed it and produced a better idea? I've never heard of one. Kirshner had plenty of moments(and I give him all the credit in the world for ESB's success), and the actors had their share of moments. But I've never heard of one instance where Kurz helped the movie creatively. And considering he hasn't really done anything on his own, I feel justified in this opinion. Feel free to prove me wrong.

He just sounds bitter in all of his interviews--he's basically trashing everything that Lucas has done that hasn't involved him. Even Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is hailed as classic by just about everybody except for Gary "Boy, if *I* were in charge...!" Kurz.

Yeah, I'm sick & tired of Kurtz's bellyachin' over GL.
He hasn't done anything since that era, and you look at the films he did that lasted - Dark Crystal, Return To Oz - and you again find him attaching himself to really brilliant auteurs.
Where are all the great GK films?
Checking IMDB..."Slipstream" ... "Gangster Kittens"...?
Yeah, it's time for him to shut up about GL already.

sandiegojones

Peacock's-Eye said:
This looks like awesome fun to me!

I think it could be a surprise hit of the summer - not huge numbers, just a movie that more people go to see & enjoy than was expected.

I actually think this could be a big hit. Most decent CG animated films do about $150 million, with this being Star Wars it could do about $200 or more which would make it about the 4th or 5th biggest summer film this year. If it does well I see GL maybe doing one or two more of these since the series is already in production and uses the same animation. Maybe the series finale will be a movie too. I wonder if he'd release a movie to kick off the live action show too? I know the PT isn't as good as the OT, but I just love me some Star Wars regardless!

DarthMickey

as stated before you need a Education.Do your own Homework on films. Lucas as stated hasan't had anybody to tell him No in 25 years.It shows. The films he has made since are pathetic.It doesen't matter if I have made a film or not or Kurtz for that matter. Jar Jar is a pathetic Lucas creation.He was forced down your throat by Lucas. Nobody on the planet liked him but GL and a few ******! He still threw him in your face for 2 more films. As he stated himself. I make these films for my self and don't care if people don't like them.Guess what many don't.He made some great films. That was a Looooong Time ago! You can also see his magic touch on Indy in skull. :dead:

The Man

Does anybody know at this stage which - if any - British televisions channels are picking up the Star Wars TV show..?

sandiegojones

The Man said:
Does anybody know at this stage which - if any - British televisions channels are picking up the Star Wars TV show..?
Do you get cartoon network in the UK?

I know they're re-airing them on TNT here but I didn't see any UK info.

Has anyone seen the the PG rating on this? It says "SCI FI ACTION AND VIOLENCE, BRIEF LANGUANCE AND MOMENTARY SMOKING"

Smoking? Languange? Weird.

I listened to some of the soundtrack on amazon and there is a bar theme that's jazzy and has a swing number? I guess Lucas put in another bar scene in with a 40's gangster and swing theme. I'm assuming that's where the smoking is from.

The Man

sandiegojones said:
Do you get cartoon network in the UK?

I know they're re-airing them on TNT here but I didn't see any UK info.

Sorry, I mean the live-action show. The new one?

sandiegojones

The Man said:
Sorry, I mean the live-action show. The new one?
Oh, well that hasn't been determined yet because they haven't filmed them.

I just read a recent article and GL said they wrote 100 scripts and start filming next year. I think it may be Sci-Fi channel, but there's rumors of Showtime picking it up too as it may be a violent show compared to the movies.

The Man

sandiegojones said:
Oh, well that hasn't been determined yet because they haven't filmed them.

I just read a recent article and GL said they wrote 100 scripts and start filming next year. I think it may be Sci-Fi channel, but there's rumors of Showtime picking it up too as it may be a violent show compared to the movies.

Thanks. I can get Sci-Fi, so here's hoping...

TheMutt92

sandiegojones said:
Has anyone seen the the PG rating on this? It says "SCI FI ACTION AND VIOLENCE, BRIEF LANGUANCE AND MOMENTARY SMOKING"

Smoking? Languange? Weird.

I listened to some of the soundtrack on amazon and there is a bar theme that's jazzy and has a swing number? I guess Lucas put in another bar scene in with a 40's gangster and swing theme. I'm assuming that's where the smoking is from.

I kinda cheered when I saw the rating. ANH was PG cause of violence and language, so w/ the prequels I was hoping at least one would get it for that as well (AOTC had one word and that was it!).

I am currently listening to soundbites and loving them! While staying true to SW, it takes its own path which is cool (though having Williams' score this would have been dynamite).

sandiegojones

I just watched Episode I for the first time since probably late 2004. I like the PT and saw TPM about a dozen times but I tend to watch Episode III the most. I had forgotten some of the movie.

TPM is actually pretty darn good! If GL could cut just about 4 minutes removing a few of the Jar Jar moments (the poop jokes and a few "clumsy" moments during the first 20 minutes and the climax) the film would be way more solid. I also liked the theatrical pod race edit better than the extended DVD version. Obviously a CG Yoda would fit better too.

Also, there is talk by the Trade Federation and Amidala about her people "suffering and dying" but we don't see it. In film school I learned "show me, don't tell me". Having a little scene of Naboo people (Nabooians?) starving or dying due to the trade blockade would have lent more gravity to the political discussion in the senate scene and added some dramatic urgency for the Queen and the Jedi to return. The "show me, don't tell me" thing could have helped AOTC too since Padme & Anakin tell each other how they feel, but we never see much romance. The kiss was about the best we got and it was the primary weak link of the story.

These are all things GL could still do with a 10 year anniversary edition (which is already next year if you can believe it's been 10 years already!) and really aren't that many changes considering what he did to ANH and ROTJ. He'd gain a little good will back if he tightened up Ep I & II and put the theatrical versions of the OT on Blu-Ray.

Still, I understand what GL was trying to accomplish and think that an animated film suits his desires better since he can control the main characters the same as the droids & stuff since there's no real actor.

Last edited:

The Golden Idol

Nurhachi1991 said:
This movie looks like its is geared towards 6 year olds.

You're totally right. The dialogue in the new clips sounds horrible. I'm aware that Star Wars isn't known for having the best dialogue, but this is pushing it.