Solo: A Star Wars Story

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
... No way Disney will tolerate it.

... I agree with Pale
Good Call
Joe Brody said:
... and my prior post that Disney has enough headaches (some gender related) right now, and the last thing they want to do is can Kennedy -- ...

... it was confirmed that Solo would be a flop and Kennedy's future -- ...

This story and the other twitter battles will fester and Disney will say NO MORE!

Is Bob Iger trying to calm the waters, or part the political seas

"Kathleen Kennedy has reignited her lightsaber. The lead producer and architect of the Star Wars franchise has renewed her contract to remain president of Lucasfilm for another three years, through 2021, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The move is a vote of confidence in Kennedy, who took command of Lucasfilm after Disney’s $4 billion acquisition from George Lucas in 2012 and has overseen the relaunch of Star Wars, one of the most revered movie properties in cinematic history. Disney's four new Star Wars films have grossed almost $4.5 billion at the worldwide box office. Ancillary and merchandising have brought billions more into the studio's coffers." (more)

roundshort

Funny thing about Solo - I was actually able to watch it a second time. Not since Jedi have I been able to re-watch any of the new(er) Star Wars movie. To me this movie had the most "fun factor" of any since the original three. Sure some of it was forced but not as much as the others. I am glad that Kennedy is sticking around.

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Funny thing about Solo - I was actually able to watch it a second time. Not since Jedi have I been able to re-watch any of the new(er) Star Wars movie. To me this movie had the most "fun factor" of any since the original three. Sure some of it was forced but not as much as the others. I am glad that Kennedy is sticking around.

And who gave the interview on the slow down in Star Wars movie production? How many interviews has she's given?

As for Solo, I watched Honest Trailer for it and agreed with it totally. Plus, when you have speeder technology why would anyone build a train?

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
And who gave the interview on the slow down in Star Wars movie production? How many interviews has she's given?

As for Solo, I watched Honest Trailer for it and agreed with it totally. Plus, when you have speeder technology why would anyone build a train?

Why didn?t they just take the big eagles to drop the ring in the fires.....

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Why didn’t they just take the big eagles to drop the ring in the fires.....

Because the Eye and the Nazgûl are the greatest air defense system known to Middle Earth?

Honestly, you've been at this for years. At some point Tolkien is going to climb out of his grave in Oxford, track you down and pistol whip with his left femur.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Because the Eye and the Nazgûl are the greatest air defense system known to Middle Earth?

Honestly, you've been at this for years. At some point Tolkien is going to climb out of his grave in Oxford, track you down and pistol whip with his left femur.

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roundshort

Joe Brody said:

My point a sci-fi, or fantasy, hell any mo vie should be ENJOYABLE and FUN and not believable.... And who wants to watch a movie about a bunch of midgets walking for 15 hours

Joe Brody

Major West said:
Same reason we still have trains now, long after people said the same thing about cars.

The best science fiction draws off of science and brings a new, novel dimension to the story -- like the flying wing in Raiders, which was so cool because the wing was retro and set back in the thirties. I'm sure a lot folks from the aeronautics industry watched that scene and thought 'cool.' Not historically accurate, but cool. I love the Wing scene and consider it one of the best examples where the writers blur reality to add to the viewing pleasure.

The Solo train heist scene, however, is just stupid (on multiple levels). Compare the Star Destroyer hovering over a city in Rogue One. Given that type of pervasive tech, there's no need to build a train in the Star Wars universe, ever. For years I worked for a company that actually makes the equipment that makes railroads -- and as I watched that scene in Solo, I thought, how stupid. There's no need for a train (with all that costly infrastructure) when you can pick stuff up from anywhere with a ship.

And don't give me the 'it's just a movie bull.' Go back and look at the original Star Wars sketchbook for New Hope and it's clear that the designers were intent on delivering a coherent design narrative for ships and tech in the film. In other words, back in the '70's, they weren't lazy. Notably, Rogue One, has masterful design and concept work, and I submit, that superior work helped the film overcome a troubled production.

Solo on the other hand is riddled with lazy *ss writing, filming and design work -- which (in my best Sick Boy accent) is reflected in its weak showing at the box office. We had just seen train scenes in other action films and this one was just (to use a Round Short term) another CGI sh*t show.

Last edited:

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
The best science fiction draws off of science and brings a new, novel dimension to the story -- like the flying wing in Raiders, which was so cool because the wing was retro and set back in the thirties. I'm sure a lot folks from the aeronautics industry watched that scene and thought 'cool.' Not historically accurate, but cool. I love the Wing scene and consider it one of the best examples where the writers blur reality to add to the viewing pleasure.

The Solo train heist scene, however, is just stupid (on multiple levels). Compare the Star Destroyer hovering over a city in Rogue One. Given that type of pervasive tech, there's no need to build a train in the Star Wars universe, ever. For years I worked for a company that actually makes the equipment that makes railroads -- and as I watched that scene in Solo, I thought, how stupid. There's no need for a train (with all that costly infrastructure) when you can pick stuff up from anywhere with a ship.

And don't give me the 'it's just a movie bull.' Go back and look at the original Star Wars sketchbook for New Hope and it's clear that the designers were intent on delivering a coherent design narrative for ships and tech in the film. In other words, back in the '70's, they weren't lazy. Notably, Rogue One, has masterful design and concept work, and I submit, that superior work helped the film overcome a troubled production.

Solo on the other hand is riddled with lazy *ss writing, filming and design work -- which (in my best Sick Boy accent) is reflected in its weak showing at the box office. We had just seen train scenes in other action films and this one was just (to use a Round Short term) another CGI sh*t show.

None of this changes the fact that Solo is more fun to watch than all the new stars movies put together after Empire. Yes I include Jedi, which after Solo (see how I did that) is freed, the move takes a turn for the worst.

oh, and it is just a movie.

Major West

Joe Brody said:

Star Wars was inspired by Flash Gordon and the space battles were based on Dog fights from old war movies ;) It sounds like you don't like the movie and nit picking for the sake. I'd probably rank it slightly below Rogue One, but it was an enjoyable movie and got mostly good reviews. Sadly the promotion (and lack of) didn't make it look like essential viewing and releasing so soon after TLJ didn't help. These reasons have been officially sighted as why the movie underperformed. Not because of a train sequence (which was actually very exciting), but your working in the train industry has influenced your view there which is fair enough.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
I agree that it's lazy writing. Hell, the Kessel Run scene was pedantic at best. Even Kasdan didn't want to do it.

Jon Kasdan said:
When he said that, I said 'Really, do we have to?' Because it's such a complicated bit of logic, and solving it was really challenging. We spent a lot of time arguing about how it could work [and how] the language of what [Han] says in that one scene shot years ago that you know George [Lucas] was just sitting there thinking, This sounds cool: 'I did it in 12 parsecs' --- could be flushed out into a fully fledged coherent sequence that was satisfying and fun. I'm thrilled with how it came out, but it was one of the daunting elements of this always.

And it seems to be almost the whole point of the movie. Sure it's a "steal-enough-money-from-someone-to-buy-my-girl-out-of-slavery" movie. (Yes, yes it is. Qi'Ra is chattal. How they got that to fly in the #teemo era is beyond me) But in the end, it's a how can we create a character story arc around this small bit of fan controversy. Square that up with the Han of Force Awakens and you'll convince me otherwise, but I doubt it'll happen.

roundshort said:
oh, and it is just a movie.

No. It's a religion, a way of life, another art form to divide the nation, it's a calling and a mission statement. It's everything I hope to be, and everything we're not. The academy can have the world, but this movie will be drinking to it's health when Hollyweird has gone the way of the dodo.

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
No. It's a religion, a way of life, another art form to divide the nation, it's a calling and a mission statement. It's everything I hope to be, and everything we're not. The academy can have the world, but this movie will be drinking to it's health when Hollyweird has gone the way of the dodo.

Pale, I love ya but you need to get.... never mind

Pale Horse

Staff member
big-grin1.jpg

...a road trip and time with good people...

It's been a long 28 months.

IndyBuff

My wife and I finally got around to watching it yesterday. Maybe it was because we had massively low expectations but we both ended up liking it. The SJW droid, while incredibly stupid, was thankfully just a small part of the film, and it had a few memorable moments. I still think it should have been focused on a new character instead of Han, but overall I didn't feel like I wasted my time, something I can't say about The Last Jedi.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Is Phoebe Waller-Bridge done with Star Wars? Every season of Knight Rider they gave the car a new voice modulator. Maybe on the Milennium Falcon there's one covered in grime and muted, and she's been rambling for decades?