Home Alone - Joe Pesci is Toht?

Deckard

I just had something dawn on me, some of you may already have figured this out, but I just watched Home Alone.

Kevin rigs up his doorknob and Joe Pesci grabs it, screaming in pain as his hand is burnt. He then turns and dives into the snow to cool his hand.

Later his hat is burnt by a blowtorch, so he is bald-ish and he reaches out to grab Kevin, showing us that the M for McCallister that was on the doorknob has been burnt into his hand.

The entire thing reminded me of Toht grabbing the burning headpiece, and running out into the snow to cool his hand, and of course we see later the headpiece markings were burnt into his palm.

oki9Sedo

It wasn't a reference, no way. Just a coincidence.

Pesci burning his hand on the doorknob was the funniest prank in the film, I thought!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I was wondering about that a bit when I most recently saw it; I'd discount any attempt to see the baldness as related.

One thing I'd note - Home Alone was directed in 1990, which is to say, after its director, Chris Columbus, wrote the failed "Monkey King" script.

Nurhachi1991

I have seen Home Alone 1 and 2 more than anyone on this board my Mother used to put it on all the time when I was younger.........

Anyway in Home Alone part 2 Lost in New York when they get Kevin in the Alley way Harry puts his hand up to show the burn mark just like Toht did it was most likely a referance to Raiders.

Short Rounded

Deckard said:
I just had something dawn on me, some of you may already have figured this out, but I just watched Home Alone.

Kevin rigs up his doorknob and Joe Pesci grabs it, screaming in pain as his hand is burnt. He then turns and dives into the snow to cool his hand.

Later his hat is burnt by a blowtorch, so he is bald-ish and he reaches out to grab Kevin, showing us that the M for McCallister that was on the doorknob has been burnt into his hand.

The entire thing reminded me of Toht grabbing the burning headpiece, and running out into the snow to cool his hand, and of course we see later the headpiece markings were burnt into his palm.
I didn't even think of that!

JUN1OR

Resurrecting this thread because I recently watched Home Alone and noticed something small but significant about this scene. When Pesci removes his hand from the snow, looks at the M branded in his hand, a faint orchestral sound plays that is without a doubt a tip of the hat to the Indiana Jones score.

JUN1OR