new Indy Answer from Hasbro

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Wow - you are very certain in your opinions and statements.

You must be a Hasbro insider, huh?

No no not at all. Just re-read Hasbros answer in light of the points I was making.

Its a direct quote regarding the three specific TOD figures - no interpretation needed.

And as for the TOD line up, they say it will be revealed at the "Toyfair", now it cant be just a case of them just forgetting, since they did prepare a teaser slide to show only the Giant Thugge. Which means they are referring to some other event.

inky_skin

thegogglesdonot said:
You say Mola Rom is guaranteed cos there is a Mighty Mug of him -WTF? What sort of logic is that??????

*Sigh*

Remind me when we ruled that someone couldn't express an opinion around here without getting bawled out.

My logic is simple: ToD is a hot-potato to some licensees. Lego won't touch it. I figured that if Mola Ram has been confirmed in one Hasbro line, it's logical as a key character from the movie that he'd appear in the first wave of the 3 3/4 " line. As I've had the opportunity to talk directly with Hasbro about the line, I've asked them to re-confirm their statement.

Incidentally 'mate', if we'd met in person and you'd addressed me in such a tone, I'd be taking a more physical response to your outburst.

inky_skin said:
*Sigh*

Remind me when we ruled that someone couldn't express an opinion around here without getting bawled out.

My logic is simple: ToD is a hot-potato to some licensees. Lego won't touch it. I figured that if Mola Ram has been confirmed in one Hasbro line, it's logical as a key character from the movie that he'd appear in the first wave of the 3 3/4 " line. As I've had the opportunity to talk directly with Hasbro about the line, I've asked them to re-confirm their statement.

Incidentally 'mate', if we'd met in person and you'd addressed me in such a tone, I'd be taking a more physical response to your outburst.

hey lets all be friends here! Its just figures.
If I have upset you I didnt mean to.
That was your opinion and I put mine. I get excited trying to figure out whats next too. I just thought Mola isnt really guaranteed (just yet) at all.

ChromiumBlue37 said:
Hasbro makes mistakes ALL the time.

They also conveniently "run out of time" during their presentations and
Q & A's!

true, true, but you have to admit their answer didnt make sense and it was most likely a typo and they meant some ofther event in the future.

ChromiumBlue37

Hasbro has made a lot of announcements via their own product site, (rarely these days), as well as in the Q & A sessions. They should stick to their word, however.

Anything is possible.

ChromiumBlue37

That is exactly what it would be!

Can you imagine a TOD wave, the FIRST one and it would be missing Mola Ram? How senseless. Who would they include as the main bad guy? Chattar Lal?

Let's see -

Thuggee Guard
Indiana Jones with torn shirt, bruises
Willie Scott, (Thuggee Sacrifice)
Short Round
?
?
?
Nope - no Mola Ram. Can't do it. Too graphic. Too horrible of a bad guy.

LJN did it in their series of only 3 figures back in 1984, (I remember, I was there!), so I am almost positive that Hasbro will include him in wave 4.

ChromiumBlue37 said:
That is exactly what it would be!

Can you imagine a TOD wave, the FIRST one and it would be missing Mola Ram? How senseless. Who would they include as the main bad guy? Chattar Lal?

Let's see -

Thuggee Guard
Indiana Jones with torn shirt, bruises
Willie Scott, (Thuggee Sacrifice)
Short Round
?
?
?
Nope - no Mola Ram. Can't do it. Too graphic. Too horrible of a bad guy.

LJN did it in their series of only 3 figures back in 1984, (I remember, I was there!), so I am almost positive that Hasbro will include him in wave 4.

Id say its Willie were not getting in the first wave

tnswman

Yea, anyone who thinks Mola won't be made in the TOD wave really does not understand how this line is working.

inky_skin

As promised, another round of Hasbro answers....

http://www.theprivateuniverse.co.uk/cgi-bin/showarticle.pl?section=news&articleid=2734

Q1. We've now had time to digest the Indy toy line previewed in NYC, and...wow ! With two Indiana's in both the Raiders and Crystal Skull waves, can we expect additional variant Indy's in the Temple of Doom and Last Crusade waves ? Perhaps "torn shirt" Indy and "necktie" Indy ? Also, Raiders Indy has a touch of the Darth Malak "scary eyes" - will this be fixed prior to release ?

A1. Thanks for the comments - glad you are looking forward to the IJ line. Yes, we do plan additional Indy figures for Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade as well. As for what those will be, we will plan on releasing the next wave information around Comic Con in July, if not before. As for eyes, there is another similar question about eyes on Star Wars figures from another fan site this week, and the answer is the same: eye deco is one of the toughest aspects of any figure in 3-3/4" scale to get consistent, since it all involves human touches (whether applied by hand, with spray masks, or with tampos). Slight variations is an expected part of the process. As time goes on and we work through the production of any figures with our factories, we look to dial in tighter to reduce variation.

Q2. The two small "Indy Trap" dioramas from the Deluxe line have a lot of potential. Will these continue, showing traps from the other movies ? Also, these type of "environments" are really lacking in the Star Wars line...is there any opportunity there ?

A2. These two are it for the year in the Deluxe assortment, but it will continue into next year with some interesting new ideas along the same lines (though probably not as *big* as these have been). While we feel the environmental piece is an important one for IJ, since the action is so specific to certain scenes, the idea doesn't necessarily translate to Star Wars as readily and we have been spending our energies elsewhere, broadening the figure and vehicle lines. That doesn't mean there won't be a few surprises here and there, but there aren't any "Deluxe" lines on the drawing board for Star Wars.

The next cut-off for submission is this Friday, so lets hear what you've got...

Oh - and thegogglesdonot - I apologise for being a little punchy the other day.

Last edited:

ChromiumBlue37

Thank you, Inky_Skin!

Interesting that they chose not to include the answer pertaining to the characters who are composing the TOD wave. Grrrrrrr...
Please include that question AGAIN with the next round.

inky_skin

"we will plan on releasing the next wave information around Comic Con in July, if not before."

This is their plan, and I think they're sticking to it. Figures that they want to focus on the Raiders/KotCS waves to reintroduce the character to the toy shelves and promote the new movie. Got to keep some suprises up their sleeves I guess...besides - I'm all for a slow tease :)

ChromiumBlue37

We are getting quite a bit in a short amount of time, so it won't hurt to wait. Surprises and rumor speculation do make collecting fun. Also, I have to realize that this is IJ and not the Star Wars line. There are only so many action figures Hasbro can produce from these movies.

Just remembering that Hasbro stated that they revealed the characters in that TOD wave at Toy Fair.

Hasbro likes to tease...

tnswman

I don't see Hasbro announcing he line-up in a Q/A session. I don't think they will drop the ball though.

Did any of you notice that online stores and even Toyfare are making changes to show that the hasbro line could start appearing as early as april. They know that some items will be released early.

Take yesterday for example. I saw CASES of the new Speed Racer toys on the floor at Wal-mart.. these cases were CLERLY marked ( DO NOT STOCK UNTIL 3/30/08). However, Had I wanted them, I could have gotten the whole set. I checked and they are already in the computer.

Indy will be the same way. The Toy manager said that Hasbro has already cleared a section of the stock room to hold the Indy toys. The manager was told last week that he should be expecting items to start arriving anytime from the last week of this month all the way through april.

Arab Swordsman

tnswman said:
I don't see Hasbro announcing he line-up in a Q/A session. I don't think they will drop the ball though.

Did any of you notice that online stores and even Toyfare are making changes to show that the hasbro line could start appearing as early as april. They know that some items will be released early.

Take yesterday for example. I saw CASES of the new Speed Racer toys on the floor at Wal-mart.. these cases were CLERLY marked ( DO NOT STOCK UNTIL 3/30/08). However, Had I wanted them, I could have gotten the whole set. I checked and they are already in the computer.

Indy will be the same way. The Toy manager said that Hasbro has already cleared a section of the stock room to hold the Indy toys. The manager was told last week that he should be expecting items to start arriving anytime from the last week of this month all the way through april.

This is great info. I would like to talk to the manager at the Toys R Us or Wal-Mart in my area without being a pain in the @$$. What's the best way to go about doing this? Most of the time when you ask about something they just say "we don't have it yet" but I want to know when this stuff is coming in.

inky_skin

So - no-one is excited about confirmation of more Deluxe Line items next year ? German Motorcycle and sidecar perhaps ? Classroom environment for Professor Jones (desk, blackboard etc) ? Rope bridge ? Catacombs Indy / Elsa with Grail Knight coffin and rats ?

With regard to early release of Indy items, I've noticed that pre-orders on sites like Play.com have actually been withdrawn. Figures once listed have now disappeared. This suggests to me that the release date won't be coming forward (no matter how desperate I am). I'm not 100% certain of the rationale - it's not like we haven't already seen the toys in detail. I can only imagine they want to use them to generate a ground-swell of interest in the franchise as close to the release of KotCS as possible.

Incidentally - has anyone considered the pegwarmers / scalper favorites of the first two waves yet ? Personally I think it'll be Monkey Man / Indiana Jones (leather jacket) for the Raiders Wave, and Jacketless Mutt / Indiana Jones (removable hat) for KotCS.

Last edited:

metalinvader

inky_skin said:
Incidentally - has anyone considered the pegwarmers / scalper favorites of the first two waves yet ?

If history does repeat itself,I'm betting that the Cairo Swordsman warms the shelves.Just look at the Kenner and Disney figure.Hell,The Disney Swordsman fig can STILL be found on some shelves!

ChromiumBlue37

Arab Swordsman said:
This is great info. I would like to talk to the manager at the Toys R Us or Wal-Mart in my area without being a pain in the @$$. What's the best way to go about doing this? Most of the time when you ask about something they just say "we don't have it yet" but I want to know when this stuff is coming in.

Usually the red clad folks at Target badger the "guests" by asking if they can help them find something. That is your opportunity. I shop there regularly, so I make sure I approach the toy department with a cart full of merchandise.

As luck may have it, I am friends with the toy manager at the Target where I live. It may be time for a phone call!

Last edited: