Who did the original Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Poster?

groves

You know the one, where he is standing below an arch, vines, machete, torn shirt???

I think this is the coolest of all the posters. I'm just curious who did the design??

Dr. Indy Jones

This one:

Indiana_Jones_and_the_Temple_of_Doom_PosterA.jpg

I believe that was done by Drew Struzan. The one who is doing the Indy 4 posters.

groves

In my book this artist is ace!
He nails the image and the feel, better than any other!
I've searched high and low but haven't found anything.
Anyone have any information on this mystery artist?

groves

C'mon let's make it a mission to find out who did this!
Somebody's gotta have some info!
I don't wanna see this one get buried.

TheLastCrusader

groves said:
C'mon let's make it a mission to find out who did this!
Somebody's gotta have some info!
I don't wanna see this one get buried.
Actually I wanna know this too, so I can look up some of his other work.

Someone said who it was in another topic a few days ago.

...but I don't remember the name any longer and I'm too lazy to search it out.

I think it was in the topic about the new KOCS poster though....

Happy searching...

groves

ResidentAlien said:
Someone said who it was in another topic a few days ago.

...but I don't remember the name any longer and I'm too lazy to search it out.

I think it was in the topic about the new KOCS poster though....

Happy searching...

Alright, I just read that entire thread and there's nothing there.
I'm really surprised! This poster seems to be most people's favorite, yet no one seems to have any information about the artist. Really strange! I think this is a mystery that deserves to be solved. :whip:

groves said:
Alright, I just read that entire thread and there's nothing there.
I'm really surprised! This poster seems to be most people's favorite, yet no one seems to have any information about the artist. Really strange! I think this is a mystery that deserves to be solved. :whip:

I did say "I think." And I know it was mentioned in some topic. The only uncertainty is which.

groves

Adam McDaniel said:
...Bruce Wolf, I believe.

Adam, you rule! Thanks! Wish we could see some more artwork by him.

Curious, why he wasn't commisioned to do anymore Indy posters?
His TOD is amazing!

THanks again!

Crack that whip

Bruce Wolfe, with an "e" at the end. Yeah, it's a great, classic poster, and I'd love to see more stuff by him as well.

The two most famous posters for Raiders were both by the late, great Richard Amsel, who also did posters for The Dark Crystal and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, among others.

Drew Struzan, the artist who eventually became "the" Indy artist, also did a Raiders poster, but the artwork was originally used only on some of the non-US posters. It eventually was reused for a 1991 Raiders 10th anniversary one-sheet (not for an actual theatrical reissue but produced just as a collector's item, by a now-defunct company called Kilian Enterprises). He subsequently did the artwork used on the ToD style "B" domestic one-sheet and a lot of the foreign one-sheets, and subsequently used for most of the various video releases over the years. He then did both the teaser one-sheet art for Last Crusade (this is the art used in the upper corner of most of the packaging for the various items of Indy merchandise that have come out in the last year, and is also used on the back of the box of the 2003 DVD set) as well as the release poster for the movie, and from there he did poster / cover / package artwork for seemingly every Indy-related project that came down the pike - I can think of over three dozen different pieces artwork by Drew Struzan (either by himself or in collaboration with another artist) that have been used for various Indy-related ventures...