Which Wine to whine about . . .

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
So true, so true. From what he said anyway (i'm still practicing my will). We went with a 2004 Muller Catoir Riesling Gimmelginger, and it was a hit.

Thank you my friend

Muller Catoir ROCkS! and I am a huge fan of 2004 vintage, lots of nice mineral notes to go with the ripe pear and apple, a really great wine! I am glad it worked

Gustav

ninepinejones said:
Plum wine is delicious, I have usually seen it presented as an after dinner wine, its very sweet from what I remember. The asian wines tend to be made from plum,rice,herbs etc... Plum Sake wine is great you can get it at Japanese markets or Chinese stores. When I was in Europe a few weeks ago I remember the wine was full of flavor and did not contain sulfites which most wine in the states do. If you like Plum Wine you should definetly try plum sake. made in china* I once was buying rounds of sake for some Tai Chi party we were having, the bartender held up the bottle of sake and at the bottom was curled a dead snake! The bartender said in Japan the buyer always has the last shot from the end of the bottle, so I did but the eye of the snake just happened to be shaken loose and rolled into my glass,floating to the top, the bartender said if I drink it the round would be on him, to say the least the eye added a hint of olive.(y)

Good story. Where can I find some sake with a dead snake in it? What is the purpose of the snake? I have actually had plum sake at a Thai restaraunt where I used to work. For my 21st birthday I went to a Japanese restaraunt and had both sake and plum wine and I recieved a big bottle of Gekkeikan sake that I still haven't opened. I hope there isn't a dead snake in that one because it would probably be rotting in my sake.

roundshort

Interesting NinePine, befoe the snake a word abotu sulfates, ALL GRAPE WINE HAS SULFITES to some degree. It is a huge misconception that the US uses more sulfItes than Europe (Plum wine is not made form grapes, and is totally different). In America, especially California we use way less Sulfates than our European counterparts, but, we were the first and only country to make the law that all bottles of wine must be labeled "Contains sulfies" giving us a perception that we use more. I was SHOCKED when I saw how many sulfites werre used in HIGH end Bordeaux and Burgundy producers in France. But when you look at the rainey cold weather it makes sense (a copper, sufite mix si actually called the Bordeaux Mix, as the damp vineyards there need it much more then the dry vineyards of Napa).

Now the snake story is very interesting I have seen the jugs of Habu Sake from Okinawa. It is a famous Sake with 13 hers and spices and a poisonous snake! he Poison dissolves in alcohol, so no risk there. The snake has a bunch of amino acids, that they think are good for you. The expensive bottles still have the snake in them! They use thousands of snakes a year! But A plum wine with a snake in it is new to me!

(If I told youhow they prepare the snake you might call PETA)

gives new meaning to the term, "Bottoms Up!"

MissDefense

Wine likers??Sounds cool!

I'm fond of italian wine (obviously :D :D ),but I think other countries can do quite well,tried some good ones from California and Australia. Me prefers red and sparkling (??? not sure of the word),like Bonarda from Pavia area.

roundshort

MissDefense said:
Wine likers??Sounds cool!

I'm fond of italian wine (obviously :D :D ),but I think other countries can do quite well,tried some good ones from California and Australia. Me prefers red and sparkling (??? not sure of the word),like Bonarda from Pavia area.

Nice to meet you MissD! You just stumped the band! The nly Bonarda I know is the most widely planted grape in Argentina, and probably is the same as the Bonarda Novarese, usually blended with Spanna int he highlands of Piedmont, aka Nebbiolo, also In Piemonte is the Bonarad Pietontese and in Oltrepo Pavese. Am I eve close? Are you form Piemonte? Barolo are my favorite reds for Italy!

roundshort said:
Interesting NinePine, befoe the snake a word abotu sulfates, ALL GRAPE WINE HAS SULFITES to some degree. It is a huge misconception that the US uses more sulfItes than Europe (Plum wine is not made form grapes, and is totally different). In America, especially California we use way less Sulfates than our European counterparts, but, we were the first and only country to make the law that all bottles of wine must be labeled "Contains sulfies" giving us a perception that we use more. I was SHOCKED when I saw how many sulfites werre used in HIGH end Bordeaux and Burgundy producers in France. But when you look at the rainey cold weather it makes sense (a copper, sufite mix si actually called the Bordeaux Mix, as the damp vineyards there need it much more then the dry vineyards of Napa).

Very good information,its eye opening,its great to have some one aboard with such great knowledge of wines. The habuto sake sounds like just what I need after all of the traveling I have been doing latley. I am going to research what herbs are in that concoction, the sake I had with the snake was not as a tradtitional recipe as the one you mentioned. My brother in law is from Okinawa so I will ask him about finding some of that poisonous snake sake! Again thats great about the sulfites, I can enlighten alot of people to that fact.

Indyologist

Pleasant Valley Vanilla Cream Sherry. $13 a bottle. Yummy! I toured this winery in September during the '06 Finger Lakes Indygear Summit. Pleasant Valley was the first registered winery in the US. They are also famous for their ice wine.

roundshort

Actually, if you want to have a point of fact the first winery was Senecu in 1629 in what is now New Mexico. The first real commerical winery in the US, while up to debat was in Ohio, in the early 1840s. but due to weather issues and religious zealots, many growers producers moved to the Finger lake region, and then, yes your Pleasant Valley Wine Company was started in the 1860s.

I have a feeling that now that aromatic grapes are becoming more popular you will see wine regions like the finger lakes be a little more important in wine production. I know a few very serious wine makers there doing soem great work with some Alsace field selections.

Just doing my thing Ninepines, A really good way to aviod sufites in wine is to stick to wine that has not been aged in oak. It is a bummer but the only way to clean oak, especially used oak, is to burn sulfer or use a water sulfer soultion, and you will have bleed out. Alot of whites, like Sauvignon Blanc and Rieslings and even chardonnays are being made without oak.

qwerty

Roundshort, what do you think about macedonian Tikve? wines.
Did you ever try it. Here they are very respected and thought as some of the best this area can offer.

roundshort

I have not had the plesure of trying these wines. I know they are highly thought of and a pretty beautiful area as far as I know. I know they have been planting some differet types of wine there latley and I hope to have one some day soon!

Thanks for the winery wisdom, its sweet knowledge from the grapevine. Merry Christmas! Just had a Baileys with splash of eggnog and nutmeg! Im in New Hampshire theres no snow Im heading to Yosemite, MeXico Riviera and Alaska starting with Cali in A week , hope to get some good wine there, I like Pinot Grigio, and Chards....sometimes a little Red, Shiraz if so...I drink for Snow!!

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
Well, did anyone pop anything fun for NYE?

Thanatosis and I went to a resort in Palm Desert. I'll leave it at that.

Who (I mean, what) did you pop, ol' chap?

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
Thanatosis and I went to a resort in Palm Desert. I'll leave it at that.

Who (I mean, what) did you pop, ol' chap?

Nice I love the desert the vintage club is my favorite in Indian Wells.

The gf and I went up to Mendo. wither her fam, they own a winery so needless to ay we had too many bottles and too much fodd, bt was great none the less. Highlight was a great Cali Cab of all things. Just a really fun time>

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
Highlight was a great Cali Cab of all things. Just a really fun time

That is surprising, even from you. I'm still trying to pursuade thanatosis that she can have a glass of wine, to help stimulate that lactation process, which will leave me the rest of a bottle.

Now, if I could only decide which one.....

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
That is surprising, even from you. I'm still trying to pursuade thanatosis that she can have a glass of wine, to help stimulate that lactation process, which will leave me the rest of a bottle.

Now, if I could only decide which one.....

Yes a glass a day helps . . .(the three left for you, really helps!)

What doess he like, red white, full-bodied, medium bodied?

roundshort

Moedred said:
You know his gender already? And palate?!

thats my job Moe, get them while they are still in the womb! Not hat was a typo I was asking Pale what his wife likes, so he can talk her into havinga glass a day!

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
...I was asking Pale what his wife likes, so he can talk her into having a glass a day!

Me too: :p

giant_wine_glass.jpg

Pinot Grigio, and currently we have an unopened bottle of mezzacorona waiting, and a 1989 Perrier Jouet, which we were going to drink on our first Anniversary...now we'll need another occassion.