Indiana Jones Omnibus: The Further Adventures Volume 3

Stoo

IndyBr said:
Yep, they served the same purpose for me.
I haven't read any of the comics until I've bougth the omibus.
They're not all great, but I think most of the comics are worth reading.
And the novels also.
Don't get your hopes up too much for Volume 3. The last bunch of stories were not that great.:(

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
^ Oh come on, Stoo nothing could be as bad as Caiden's work or even the latest Indy novel, er, right? :eek:

IndyBr

Stoo said:
Don't get your hopes up too much for Volume 3. The last bunch of stories were not that great.:(

"Oh, that can't be good." :(

Well, at least it have Short Round in one of the stories.

Violet Indy said:
Oh come on, Stoo nothing could be as bad as Caiden's work or even the latest Indy novel, er, right?

Well, I really hope so. Caidin an Perry are only good at making you sleepy (at least in their Indy novels).

But I have to say that besides Short Round (and the Last Crusade Adaptation), there's no story i'm looking for in this one. Oh, and I also want to know about the end (not the definitive one, now that Crystal Skull told us about Indy leaving Marion before their wedding) of Indy and Marion's relationship (In the Ultimate Guide there was a mention about it).

Stoo

Violet Indy said:
^ Oh come on, Stoo nothing could be as bad as Caiden's work or even the latest Indy novel, er, right? :eek:
You're right, Violet.:eek: You know that I love the Marvels so I *should* have clarified a little...

As noted in the Omnibus #2 thread, the best Marvels have already been published (the first 2 issues, Africa Screams, The Fourth Nail, Search for Abner, etc.) There are a couple of good ones in the last dozen but they are (for the most part - IMO) the weakest of the run.

Caiden? He was a great writer/aviator but not right for Indy. I bought the new "Army of the Dead" novel but haven't read it yet.
IndyBr said:
"Oh, that can't be good."

Well, at least it have Short Round in one of the stories.
Without spoiling anything, it's a fleeting moment but a good one. I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of the comics. (Speaking of fighting the dead, if you like "Jason and the Argonauts", you'll have a treat in Vol. 3.)
IndyBr said:
Oh, and I also want to know about the end (not the definitive one, now that Crystal Skull told us about Indy leaving Marion before their wedding) of Indy and Marion's relationship (In the Ultimate Guide there was a mention about it).
CLIFFHANGER. Marion is extremely pissed off!:mad:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:
You're right, Violet.:eek: You know that I love the Marvels so I *should* have clarified a little...

As noted in the Omnibus #2 thread, the best Marvels have already been published (the first 2 issues, Africa Screams, The Fourth Nail, Search for Abner, etc.) There are a couple of good ones in the last dozen but they are (for the most part - IMO) the weakest of the run.

Caiden? He was a great writer/aviator but not right for Indy. I bought the new "Army of the Dead" novel but haven't read it yet.
Without spoiling anything, it's a fleeting moment but a good one. I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of the comics. (Speaking of fighting the dead, if you like "Jason and the Argonauts", you'll have a treat in Vol. 3.)
CLIFFHANGER. Marion is extremely pissed off!:mad:

In terms of Caiden, only speaking for his work in the Indy novels, personally have had little interest in his other works.

Funnily enough though, I quite liked the 'Jason and the Argonauts' movie (with the Harryhausen monsters) so I will be looking forward to that particular issue of Indy.

AotD without spoilers- personally it started good for me, but I dunno, I started to get bored about halfway though, have put it down and will try to finish it soon. I thought it was a bit slow, and there were certain things that were done rather sloppily.

In regards to the Indy/Marion breakup- it's pretty much covered, the only thing being (which happens with canon and history being tampered with) that Indy is the one to call off the wedding a week before, and wouldn't fit with what happened in the comics UNLESS he somehow had made it up to Marion and were engaged and then, somehow things got screwy (maybe he was on adventure, and he knew he wasn't going to get back in time to get hitched, etc). Otherwise, with the comics, it would make more sense if Marion had broken it off (however this doesn't quite cover the whole meeting Colin Williams through Indy, does it?). Ok, you know what? Maybe it hasn't been covered even mostly, I'm just deluding myself!

Exulted Unicron

whether or not these last dozen or so Indy comics are bad. I've neve read them before, so it'll be something new for me to check out

Stoo

Violet Indy said:
Funnily enough though, I quite liked the 'Jason and the Argonauts' movie (with the Harryhausen monsters) so I will be looking forward to that particular issue of Indy.
Cool, Vio. It's the very, last issue - part 3 of 3.
Violet Indy said:
In regards to the Indy/Marion breakup- it's pretty much covered, the only thing being (which happens with canon and history being tampered with) that Indy is the one to call off the wedding a week before, and wouldn't fit with what happened in the comics UNLESS he somehow had made it up to Marion and were engaged and then, somehow things got screwy (maybe he was on adventure, and he knew he wasn't going to get back in time to get hitched, etc). Otherwise, with the comics, it would make more sense if Marion had broken it off (however this doesn't quite cover the whole meeting Colin Williams through Indy, does it?). Ok, you know what? Maybe it hasn't been covered even mostly, I'm just deluding myself!
I think the timeframe fits, conviently enough, with the abandoned wedding. Without spoiling anything, it's possible that there was enough time for them to get back together, conceive a child and plan a wedding. Maybe. (But we can specualte on that further, once you & others have read Volume #3.;))

One thing's for sure...the Marvels are essential to fans of Indy/Marion' tumultuous relationship. Apart from the 2 movies & "Forbidden Eye" TV special, these comics are the only other things out there.
Exulted Unicorn said:
whether or not these last dozen or so Indy comics are bad. I've neve read them before, so it'll be something new for me to check out
Go for it, Unicorn. You'll enjoy them. I'm not saying they are "bad"...just not as good. (Don't mean to discourage anyone. By all means, go buy the next Omnibus...and hope for more!:))

lao che & sons

I really prefer the original comic books to the omnibus series. I realize that the umnibus is cheaper, better quality graphics, and a nice way to store all of your Indy comics. But I like the nostalgia of the originals:p But I do have the regualer amnibus as those comics are near imposible to find:(

But this omnibus has my favorite comic in it just becasue of the short round scenes! on like issue #26

lao che & sons said:
I really prefer the original comic books to the omnibus series. I realize that the umnibus is cheaper, better quality graphics, and a nice way to store all of your Indy comics. But I like the nostalgia of the originals:p But I do have the regualer amnibus as those comics are near imposible to find:(

But this omnibus has my favorite comic in it just becasue of the short round scenes! on like issue #26

That's why I keep both. I like the "old comic scent" of the originals, along with the lettercols, and Marvel Bullpen Bulletins, etc., but I also enjoy the handy-dandy format that is the Omnibus. I can bring them when I travel(!) and not really concern myself with condition. Both have their advantages.

And like others here, I don't have many of the issues beginning after issue 24; they're difficult to find.

lao che & sons

InBanana Jones said:
That's why I keep both. I like the "old comic scent" of the originals, along with the lettercols, and Marvel Bullpen Bulletins, etc., but I also enjoy the handy-dandy format that is the Omnibus. I can bring them when I travel(!) and not really concern myself with condition. Both have their advantages.

And like others here, I don't have many of the issues beginning after issue 24; they're difficult to find.

see that's the thing I have a comic shop very close to me that has (had) ALL of them! So every now and then I go in and get one or two. Right now I'm up to issue 26, and the have the rest up to issue 34 all at 2 bucks a pop:D

lao che & sons said:
see that's the thing I have a comic shop very close to me that has (had) ALL of them! So every now and then I go in and get one or two. Right now I'm up to issue 26, and the have the rest up to issue 34 all at 2 bucks a pop:D

Consider yourself fortunate; there's only two comic stores left here in town and the better store is far away, but doesn't carry the Marvel issues.:(

The Further Adventures make for great late-night reading...

Stoo

Violet Indy said:
In regards to the Indy/Marion breakup- it's pretty much covered,...
Stoo said:
...(But we can specualte on that further, once you & others have read Volume #3.;))
Was just looking at the Omnibus and you're right. Marion's appearances are finished with Vol. 2.:eek:

As Shorty would say, "Big mistake! Big mistake! No mo' Mawion!":p

indyclone25

just picked my omnibus and it ends with the last crusade, so no kotcs in it , oh well , it was the marvel series that was promised. can't wait to read the adventures again

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'm saving on buying this to when I get to Supanova after Easter (mostly coz I don't really plan on buying much else there, except for Return to the Labyrinth #3).

After this, all my Indy comic collection will be complete save for a few issues I have missing from my Young Indiana Jones Chronicles adaption comic run.

phantom train

I just picked up the FAOIJ Omnibus Volume 3 by DH - I'm glad that this came out earlier than planned (it came out in late February, and was scheduled for mid-March). Though I haven't had a chance to read all of the issues yet, this looks to be a great volume. I had completely stopped collecting/reading this series back in the '80's when these issues first came out, so this will be the first time I've read any of these.

Kudos and Thanks to DH for remastering, recoloring, and reprinting these volumes, with all of the covers.

I'll post more once I read all of the issues.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Got all the Marvels in Finnish (I have duplicates for sell if anyone's interested) so won't be buying this one.

phantom train

Finally finished Furthur Adventures of IJ Volume 3. I'm happy that I was finally able to get these issues! My review (No Spoilers):

- Issues #25-#34 were excellent. Extremely well-done stories, which were very much in keeping with the type of mythos established in the films. The art by the great Steve Ditko was amazing, and I was also extremely impressed by the cover art for many of these issues - most notable were the handful of covers with superb K. Pollard artwork, and #25 w. Mike Golden art.

- I flipped through the 4-issue LC adaptation, and was extremely underwhelmed by the art (I had never seen/read this before, since my first hiatus from comics was in the late 1980's). I feel they should have gotten another artist for this adaptation - Ditko would have been great, but he may have been unavailable since this limited series came out 4 years after the regular series ended.

Anyway, overall this was a great volume, and worth getting if only for issues #25-34. Too bad there will be no more volumes, but at the same time I'm happy that my Marvel IJ collection is finally complete.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
^ They (as in Dark Horse) could do one more Omnibus because of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles comic run. I have a number of those issues, however not a complete collection, and I'm sure Young Indy fans like myself, Stoo and you, phantom train, would value such a nice little Omnibus of YIJC comics. I guess the fact that Old Indy no longer appears in the films and the lack thereof popularity in the States anyway, would be seen as a profit making problem on the part of DH publishing the tales.

phantom train

Violet Indy said:
^ They (as in Dark Horse) could do one more Omnibus because of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles comic run. I have a number of those issues, however not a complete collection, and I'm sure Young Indy fans like myself, Stoo and you, phantom train, would value such a nice little Omnibus of YIJC comics. I guess the fact that Old Indy no longer appears in the films and the lack thereof popularity in the States anyway, would be seen as a profit making problem on the part of DH publishing the tales.

I agree - now that the Marvel IJ issues have all been reprinted, the next logical IJ reprint collection would be a YIJC DH Omnibus. I had some of the single issues in the '90's, but don't know where they are now. One of the things I remembered from the comics was that they included some scenes that were cut from the final episodes, so it would be nice to see these reprinted.

Also, as has been mentioned on this board, there are a number of well-done foreign IJ comics that would be great to see reprinted - these would probably/possibly all fit into one Omnibus. I would definitely be onboard for these as well (as long as they were translated into English).