What creepy-crawlies should be in Indy 5?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Perhilion said:
So we've had snakes, rats, bugs and...bugs. What else is there to torture Indy and his group with?

For what it's worth, I think the ants were extraordinarily well done, even if they were superficially the same sort of thing as in Temple of Doom.

Piranhas have been mentioned before, and while they aren't necessarily creepy, there's something to be said for them. Biggest problem with this: the decided not to use piranhas for the one that actually took place in the Amazon, so this seems somewhat unlikely.

And then they threw scorpions in as aside in this one too.

Maybe crabs or some other manner of crustacean? They have a creepy manner of movement, at any rate.

Or birds.

Last edited:

Perhilion

Oh, I liked the ants, too. Especially after watching the FX feature on the DVD, you really get an appreciation for how hard it was to make that scene work.
I think piranhas would be cool. Maybe also some kind of slimy cave creatures.

DocWhiskey

Large mosquitoes? Killer hornets? What about big hairy nasty spiders? Bats could be utilized a bit better.

What about an army of Sloths?

2co09e9.jpg

Slow. Creepy. Have long sharp claws.

Imagine being cornered while 5 or 6 of this slow soul eating demons make their way toward you!

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I've always been a fan of the bats idea. I think it could work well if done right.

Recently, when I was starting to write a story (for a novel) at random, I thought a worthy creepy crawlie would be toads. If you live in my state, you'll find that the most annoying introduced pest is the Cane Toad. They grow quite large, are very ugly and they are poisonous. Now, imagine a whole underground lake or wet chamber full of them. Ewwww...

Did I mention they jump pretty high?

So, yeah, that could be a worthy scene for 5.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I summed up the last thread here, and yes, tapeworms are still my favorite.
photo_03_big.gif

Or: Willie hasn't worked in years, and Indy has to rescue her from a trailer filled with hundreds of cats... cats with tapeworms!

JP Jones

I like the idea that Indy finds a secret entrance to some cavern, he walks inside and millions of spiders crawl up his legs. He looks and the entrance is now closing. He's trapped in a dark cavern with spiders everywhere. Shorty is with him and he says "Not again" I'm grossing myself out just thinking about it.

Udvarnoky

We already had tarantulas in Raiders, so it'd be disappointing if spiders were the showcase critters. Your scenario also reminds me a lot of the flesh-eating scarabs scene in The Mummy.

I do like the proposed ideas of piranhas, bats, crabs and hornets. If the heroes find themselves in a swamp-like environment you could have poisonous frogs or leeches or something.

The Drifter

In all reality, I don't see why we need them again. It's been done four times now. Sure, it would break tradition, but why be so formulaic?
But, if it is done I would like to see scorpions used this way. I know there was a few in KotCS, but a pit full of writhing, poisonous scorpions would give me shivers.

Say whatever artifact Indy is after falls and lands in the middle of the pit, and he has to find a way to retrieve it.

Vongoosewink

Giant centipedes. They are creepy.

I saw a documentary about one species in South America that catches bats by dangling from the ceiling of caves, and eats them alive.

The Drifter

Vongoosewink said:
Giant centipedes. They are creepy.

I saw a documentary about one species in South America that catches bats by dangling from the ceiling of caves, and eats them alive.

I must agree. They are damn creepy!

Meerkat

Moedred said:
I summed up the last thread here, and yes, tapeworms are still my favorite.
photo_03_big.gif

Or: Willie hasn't worked in years, and Indy has to rescue her from a trailer filled with hundreds of cats... cats with tapeworms!
Darn, you stole my idea! I *was* going to say tapeworms...but now I say COCKROACHES.
They could bring back the snakes, though...if Indy 5 is the last Indy movie, it seems fitting if it has snakes.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lonsome_Drifter said:
In all reality, I don't see why we need them again. It's been done four times now. Sure, it would break tradition, but why be so formulaic?

Perhaps one thing is to go on the older definition of the scene as being the "phobia" scene - but then heights have been dealt with rather extensively, as have tight spaces.

There's also the possibility of more mythical creatures - the old Saucermen from Mars script employed particularly frightening aliens in the place of the snakes, bugs, and rats.

Alternately, they could go with a single larger creature - perhaps an octopus or squid, but then they might get tagged with imitating Pirates of the Caribbean.

If we're going to be in a colder climate, as many have suggested, they could go with something like wolves or some such. Or wolverines, which are notably ferocious.

Or...birds. As Hitchcock teaches us, they can be dangerous and, perhaps more importantly, creepy as all get out.

Generally speaking though, things that creep along and under the ground have been done. Let us have something that flies, swims, or travels on the ground, in the open.

indycast

DocWhiskey said:
Large mosquitoes? Killer hornets? What about big hairy nasty spiders? Bats could be utilized a bit better.

What about an army of Sloths?

Sloths are creepy - but what about moths.....those things creep the heck out of me.

Personally the ultimate horror for me would be Indy leading an expedition into Loompa Land.

Who needs bugs or lizards when you've got an army of Oompa Loompas chasing you!

Darth Vile

I think the critters work best when they are an actual physical danger to Indy. So for me, Raiders and KOTCS use the critters most effectively. And although the well is running dry, I'd still like to see something as equally dangerous in Indy V... be that piranhas (my personal favourite), killer bees, deadly leeches or locusts.

Goonie

I vote for the killer bunny:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cCI18qAoKq4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cCI18qAoKq4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(y)

Lambonius

Personally, I think the forced creepy-crawlies scene is part of what continually makes the Indy sequels feel annoyingly formulaic. It worked in Temple of Doom because the bug scene was such a ridiculously over the top spoof of the tarantulas from the beginning of Raiders. After that, it was always a little lame. Though at least the rats and ants made sense contextually. ;) I'd say that the creepy-crawler scene isn't really a necessity, in my opinion.

emtiem

Eels! Hundreds of big old electric eels coming to shock him to bits! Could even be in a villain's diabolical lab rather than a natural environment.

I like the idea of bees too. Well, hornets, naturally. Everyone's scared of them, surely?
Or perhaps you could have Indy and friend trapped in a precarious hut or something whilst a colony of rabid termites threaten to eat their position of safety away! :)

Darth Vile

Lambonius said:
Personally, I think the forced creepy-crawlies scene is part of what continually makes the Indy sequels feel annoyingly formulaic. It worked in Temple of Doom because the bug scene was such a ridiculously over the top spoof of the tarantulas from the beginning of Raiders. After that, it was always a little lame. Though at least the rats and ants made sense contextually. ;) I'd say that the creepy-crawler scene isn't really a necessity, in my opinion.

I agree that it's an element that underlines its formulaic nature (although I think TOD seems to use it in a more perfunctory manner than the other sequels). However, this element is also something that defines "Indy" (like the booby traps, riddles/maps and vehicular chases/set pieces). I think they can do away with any given element for the next movie (including the creepy crawlies), as long as it ups the anti with one of the other elements (otherwise it can be perceived as "lacking").

emtiem said:
Eels! Hundreds of big old electric eels coming to shock him to bits! Could even be in a villain's diabolical lab rather than a natural environment.

Totally agree. I was going to mention electric eels in my post... but I thought it might be considered too James Bond'ish... but I'm glad you listed it :)

Robyn

Well if Indy's snow bound, how bout the abominable snowman?

or if it's South America again..chupicabra?

Last edited: