Tomb Raider: The Games

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
They diddnt reboot anything..... they just put s**t on her face....

Have you read about the new game-play mechanics? It may not be a reboot, but it's different and sounds very interesting.

Le Saboteur

For Your Consideration -- You're new Lara Croft.

screenshot_244131.jpg

Despite yet another re-design of the character, they seem to be sticking with the blighted underground setting of the past few games. Hopefully some above ground images appear soon.

You can see the screens here.

Note the similarity to Uncharted's font type.

Montana Smith

It's looking very bloody and brutal. More like Resident Evil or Silent Hill than one of Lara's earlier, more sedate adventures.

screenshot_244142.jpg

screenshot_244134.jpg

screenshot_244140.jpg

It looks pretty amazing. One day I may have a machine capable of playing it!

Indy's brother

Those shots look fantastic, but I can't tell if they are cutscenes or gameplay. Of course, something tells me that since I can't immediately discern it, that this bodes well for the game. ;)

Finn

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
Those shots look fantastic, but I can't tell if they are cutscenes or gameplay. Of course, something tells me that since I can't immediately discern it, that this bodes well for the game.
Large majority of the story-advancing stuff you see in games these days are made with the ingame engine, so it shouldn't make much difference. Prerendered cutscenes are so 2005.

Those screenies might have been taken with the devcam on, but other than that I've very little doubt that's not the graphic detail we'll see in the final product. Considering you have a machine that runs the game with all the bells and thistles on, that is.

Indy's brother

Finn said:
Large majority of the story-advancing stuff you see in games these days are made with the ingame engine, so it shouldn't make much difference. Prerendered cutscenes are so 2005.

Those screenies might have been taken with the devcam on, but other than that I've very little doubt that's not the graphic detail we'll see in the final product. Considering you have a machine that runs the game with all the bells and thistles on, that is.

Yes, that is certainly the "new" way of things. I was also referring to the art direction in those shots. ;)

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
It's looking very bloody and brutal.

Eh, I'm still not digging it. Advertising just how grisly the death sequences are going to be strikes me as an immature way of building buzz. Instead, they really aught to be talking about how the open-world exploration is going to push the genre forward, and how they expect Ms. Croft's character to develop.

I'm not particularly keen on this "A Survivor is Born" campaign either. The action-adventure genre and the survival horror genre do not mix; what actually happens remains to be seen, but I have serious misgivings right now.

The re-design is only so-so in my opinion. I fail to see why they needed to redo Ms. Croft as an awkward young adult. (Oh, I know why; but I'm tired of the pandering.) Whatever her previous age was, was fine with me.

All of that said, I'm intrigued by this paragraph over at Game Informer.

Brian Horton said:
According to Crystal Dynamic Art Director Brian Horton, much of the new Lara Croft?s identity will be established through her interactions with others. ?Those interactions are going to be very different from what we?ve seen in past Tomb Raider titles,? said Horton. ?She isn?t always in charge. She will have these ranges of being the low man on the totem pole in the beginning and then finding her own voice.?

Towards that end Crystal Dynamics has introduced a fellow by the name of Conrad Roth.

jj1gk2.png

Game Informer said:
So who is this Conrad Roth? Roth gained his strength and no-nonsense attitude through two tours with the Royal Marine commandoes. Deciding to put his unique skills to use after leaving the military, Roth became a freelance treasure-hunter, scouring forgotten shipwrecks that litter the ocean floor for anything of value. Traveling the world, his reputation is for intelligence, toughness, and a tendency to bend laws that limit the traffic of historical artifacts. In order to secure a prize and do right by his crew, Roth will lie, cheat, and break the law. Remorse isn?t part of the equation.

Indy_Chic

The screenshots look great, it's interesting how they are going for a more darker approach to the story. I look forward to seeing how this game will turn out.

JRJENNINGS86

Tomb Raider: Lara Croft Reborn

There is a new Lara Croft Game on the way. this one is a reboot of Crystal Dynamics huge franchise. from what i understand the game is ment to be a prequal. Lara also got a new body to go with it.

http://tombraider.com/

she looks realistic now ( her face is more real looking and her boobs got smaller)

i myself am looking forward to checking this one out. i've played all of the others and perhaps maybe this one will surpass all of them. What do you all have to say?

Ironclaw

I was once hooked on the Tomb Raider series, but I don't think I have the patience for all those puzzles and all that synchronized running, jumping and grabbing anymore!

I would recommend Tomb Raider: Legend for PS2/PC. It's very low on the frustration factor that the PS1 games/Tomb Raider Anniversary are known for.

The problem I have is that this seems they're making the series gritty for the sake of being gritty. To me, the series' problem has always been that they've never really developed Lara as a character at all. Since they're leaning away from the physical attractiveness factor the TR series was initially known for, they had better make her character pretty darn-well developed.

JRJENNINGS86

i think that the new Lara looks alot better than the original. sure the orignal provide hours of "pleasure" for the guys who prefer pixle boobs instead of real boobs. However, with her more realistic looks, the game will appeal more to the realisitic graphics players.

Le Saboteur

Please consider this a first request to collate the various Tomb Raider threads into one, and to re-title this one. My suggestion: Tomb Raider: The Series.

You can merge The Art of 'Tomb Raider' and Tomb Raider: Underworld to start.

Well.

I was talking to some friends at the Crystal Dynamics office the other day when I realized, nobody posted the trailer Mlle. Croft's latest outing! It's been, what, three months since it debuted at E3? Anyway, for your viewing pleasure.

Thoughts? The visuals are gorgeous, but I found the dialogue to be ham fisted. Lara's new(?) voice actress is going to take some getting used to.

The edited version.

And the complete stage demo that was also shown at E3. If the video is laggy, please try this direct link to Gamespot's original video. They won't let you embed their video.