Futurama

Katarn07

Fans of Futurama, rejoice! The Planet Express Crew is back in the first of four (yes, four!!!) feature length movies.

Bender's Big Score was released earlier this week and I failed to resist the urge to get it before Christmas. Can I just say that this movie was amazing? I had some doubts after the return of Family Guy and the stagnant state the Simpsons has been in forever (haven't seen that movie yet, so I won't comment on that). Let me just say as an owner of all four boxsets of the show that the writers didn't get lazy and do this for a quick profit. All of the show's characters make an appearance and there are a lot of in-jokes there for fans. That said, this probably wasn't made for first time or casual viewers because a lot of things will go unnoticed to them.

Be sure to pick up a copy or add it to your wishlist.

Ska

ClintonHammond said:
Then again, it couldn't hardly be worse.

;) You're welcome

And I'll probably pass on this movie. TV shows that turn into movies usually are worth ignoring.

nezobiwan

SKAbatula said:
Oh **** you're right. It was correct.

I will never question or critique again.

Oh don't say that. Anyone can make a mistake. It's perfectly proper to question others....

I for one enjoy Futurama as reruns on adultswim. I particularly love the episode where Bender goes on tour with Beck! (Get me the becktionary! NO, the RHYMING becktionary!)

I'm going to go see if I can put the movies on my netflix queue...

Always question.. always critique...
BUT if you're going to accuse someone, if you're going to CORRECT someone, make DAMN sure you KNOW that you're right before you do!

LOL

nezobiwan

Katarn07 said:
I had some doubts after the return of Family Guy and the stagnant state the Simpsons has been in forever (haven't seen that movie yet, so I won't comment on that).
The Simpsons movie, in my opinion, was a let down.

Don't take it the wrong way, but I like that Futurama got canceled before it got to be like Simpsons and Family Guy are currently. I will admit it took longer for Simpsons to reach that state. It seemed as soon as Family Guy returned, it immediately wasn't funny any more.

"The Simpsons movie, in my opinion, was a let down."
The Simpsons needed to stop about 10 years ago...

Family Guy was good, until it was canned and brought back... Since being brought back it's been universally awful.

I'd like to see more Futurama, but only if it's as good as what's come before....

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
Family Guy was good, until it was canned and brought back... Since being brought back it's been universally awful.
Isn't that weird? I was SO into Family Guy when it first came out. I even signed the petition to bring it back! And then when they did bring it back....

:sick:

ClintonHammond said:
I'd like to see more Futurama, but only if it's as good as what's come before...
That's why Katarn07's review has me excited. (y)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
That's great news to hear! Futurama movies! My brother will be excited to hear that. Heck, I'm excited to hear that. I love Futurama more than the Simpsons. Always have.

Katarn07

Katarn07 said:
All of the show's characters make an appearance and there are a lot of in-jokes there for fans.

Scratch that. In my excitement, I overlooked the fact that Mom, Calculon, and the aliens of Omicron Persei 8 are nowhere to be seen. And just a heads-up to fellow fans of Zapp Brannigan: his appearance is too brief. I hope he and Kiff play bigger parts in future movies.

No Ticket

I watched it. Heck, I bought it. Ok everybody, let go a sigh of relief!

I personally thought it was up there with the BEST episodes of Futurama. Like the one about the four-leaf clover, the Roswell one, Hell hath other robots, etc. It was VERY good. Although the musical numbers were a bit of a letdown.. not bad... just mediocre.

Clinton... it's WAY WAY WAY better than the Family Guy one about Stewie. I agree that that one was horrible and I'm glad I didn't waste MY money on it (a friend did!)

But this new Futurama movie was pretty much awesome. I loved the beginning where they take a jab at the Fox network. I mean, any movie with a fleet of golden death stars has gotta be good right? :)

The best part is at the end, it leaves you hanging to find out what happens in the next movie!

Katarn07

Ooo, I'd be wary to rank this alongside the best episodes. I'd have to see it more times before saying something so bold. I can say this is better than the worst episodes of Futurama, which in themselves were already darned good television.

I only rented this movie because I too wasted money on the Family Guy movie and didn't wanna make the same mistake twice. That said, I didn't hesitate adding it to my "Xmas" wishlist.

As far as that ending, I guess they're actually gonna use that as a plot device in the second movie. I found that a bit surprising. It was just a classic moment an episode would have left off on that made me laugh out loud.

No Ticket

Well if you guys really want to see Futurama back.. you gotta buy those DVDs. Fox will let them do these movies... but as far as the show going back into production or a feature film (which the creators said they're hoping Fox lets them do since The Simpsons movie proved it woud generate money) ... it all depends on the sales of those DVDs.

I for one thought it was very much worth the price. Even if you don't think it was up there with the best episodes (which I still do), you have to admit at least it was pretty good.

Katarn07

I bought all four seasons from Amazon earlier this year for around $90 (I got their credit card, so saved $30 on the purchase so you can't beat that!!!). The sales of it have already done stellar, as have the ratings for it on Adult Swim. That's the reason FOX gave them the go ahead to do these movies. These movies are being adapted into a new season that will air on Comedy Central. If you've seen the first movie, I'm sure you're as baffled as me as to how they're splitting these episodes up....

I'm actually hoping these movies are the end. We all saw what happened with Family Guy when it returned to tv. Also, the Simpsons has gone on too long and its quality has suffered for it. I'm happy we have more Futurama, but I don't want it to become something I can't stand. *cough* Family Guy *cough* The producers apparently sorta feel the same way.

"And the fourth one, because for all we know could be the last Futurama we ever do [...] ends on a real sweet note and we'll be content with that if it's the last we ever do.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/838/838551p1.html

That actually gives you vague ideas where the next three are headed without spoiling anything.