Indy 5 news 2018

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
There will be a fifth movie, no doubt - and many more.
Disney didn't buy the IP for nothing.

But every day Indy 5 gets delayed makes it less likely that Ford will be the main lead.
You're absolutely right. In my heart of hearts I wish you weren't.
I think the cutoff date for Ford to film anything Indy related is before 2023 (his 80th birthday). I think for any of it to look borderline realistic is 2020. Don't get me wrong, I think he can still pull it off--but even though the shooting schedule is delayed, time isn't, and that's definitely going to be a factor against him.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
he was incredible in Blade Runner 2049
Yep, he was great.

And there's nothing like a grand finale.
Sound familiar?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/erOEatu5aH8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The trick is knowing when to call it a day... ;)

DARTH ZOIDBERG

TheFirebird1 said:
I'm really excited that Jon's editing the script. I think he can do a really good job at it. I think what I'm (and some others) are worried about is that the film has been constantly postponed. This is the second time the film's been delayed (third, if you count the rumors that production was going to begin in 2011), and it seems like Spielberg isn't really determined to start Indy 5. But I agree with you, I don't think we should freak out too much. At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure Ford will return to the series somehow (he's a complete moneymaker for Disney and they can't let him go).
The only worrying things for this movie, as far as I'm concerned, are the fact that Harrison is getting older and that the film is teetering off the edge of development hell. I know he can still do stunts and all (he was incredible in Blade Runner 2049) but there's going to come a time where he simply can't do all the action that we were used to, and if they keep postponing the film they're going to hit that obstacle pretty quickly.
But I just brought up 3 Star Wars Films that Disney had Production Issues with each one was rumored to be delayed by The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline none of those Star Wars Films were Delayed we don't know anything yet so lets all calm down here. Even If the film Is delay and comes out in 2021 Harrison will only be a year older when they film I am more worried he gets into a fatal plane crash. Harrison Is 75 he was Awesome in Blade Runner 2049 no worries from me on this he even Popped Ryan Gosling in the nose. I am not even exaggerating at 75 Harrison can kick my 37 year old but he is that fit. He is way fitter and buff then my dad who was born in 1954 again I am not exaggerating here. And his dad made it to 95 so hopefully his genes are really good! Medicine and conditioning Is way better then when his dad was his age and Harrison has the money for a personal trainer and nutritionist. And Calista Keeps her man young if you guys know what I mean;)

We haven't even had an official press release that production has started on Indy 5 so again lets all calm down...

TheFirebird1

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
But I just brought up 3 Star Wars Films that Disney had Production Issues with each one was rumored to be delayed by The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline none of those Star Wars Films were Delayed we don't know anything yet so lets all come down here. Even If the film Is delay and comes out in 2021 Harrison will only be a year older when they film I am more worried he gets into a fatal plane crash. Harrison Is 75 he was Awesome in Blade Runner 2049 no worries from me on this he even Popped Ryan Gosling in the nose. I am not even exaggerating at 75 Harrison can kick my 37 year old but he is that fit. He is way fitter and buff then my dad who was born in 1954 again I am not exaggerating here. And his dad made it to 95 so hopefully his genes are really good! Medicine and conditioning Is way better then when his dad was his age and Harrison has the money for a personal trainer and nutritionist. And Calista Keeps her man young if you guys know what I mean;)
I think you have the right idea. I'm pretty sure Harrison will be able to pull at least one more off, and yes, his genes are very good. I'm rooting for him to pull through one more, and I'm confident he can. But yeah, he needs to stay away from flying. :D

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Yep, he was great.

And there's nothing like a grand finale.
Sound familiar?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/erOEatu5aH8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The trick is knowing when to call it a day... ;)
But where is Harrison's grand finale, though? To equate him to Stravinsky, right now he's stuck in the Rite of Spring. Half the audience loved his last Indy, and the other half tore their hair out repeatedly for the next decade. Until then, he can't call it a day. He needs to finish that Firebird Suite.

Raiders90

TheFirebird1 said:
But where is Harrison's grand finale, though? To equate him to Stravinsky, right now he's stuck in the Rite of Spring. Half the audience loved his last Indy, and the other half tore their hair out repeatedly for the next decade. Until then, he can't call it a day. He needs to finish that Firebird Suite.

Agreed. I say one last curtain call and let the original series die with dignity and start anew. I have been called a "Ford Fetishist" by some but I am NOT opposed to a new actor - I just want Harrison to have a sendoff most are happy with and resolve HIS Indy's story in a completely satisfying way - and then move on to whoever else. In fact, I would even prefer a total reboot after Ford. Start from scratch. Wipe everything out of canon and redo Raiders even. But give Ford a grand finale first.

Given his age it would also probably be his last major film appearance and the man should go out playing the character he reportedly enjoys the most.

TheFirebird1

Raiders112390 said:
Agreed. I say one last curtain call and let the original series die with dignity and start anew. I have been called a "Ford Fetishist" by some but I am NOT opposed to a new actor - I just want Harrison to have a sendoff most are happy with and resolve HIS Indy's story in a completely satisfying way - and then move on to whoever else. In fact, I would even prefer a total reboot after Ford. Start from scratch. Wipe everything out of canon and redo Raiders even. But give Ford a grand finale first.

Given his age it would also probably be his last major film appearance and the man should go out playing the character he reportedly enjoys the most.
I agree with you. I think Harrison's part of the saga needs to be resolved in a good way--he needs his final ride out into the sunset. After that, I'm on board with everything else Lucasfilm will offer. Honestly, I'm excited about what they're going to offer with the Indy universe, because I think they can expand on it quite a bit. Disney certainly has the money to.

TheFedora

Z dweller said:
There will be a fifth movie, no doubt - and many more.
Disney didn't buy the IP for nothing.

But every day Indy 5 gets delayed makes it less likely that Ford will be the main lead.

Yeah, im thinking that too right now. I think Disney should get Chris Pratt on the phone again. :(

I saw people talking about Indy as a dead franchise right now. But so also was Jurassic Park before Jurassic World. And even with subpar reviews, Fallen Kingdom is STILL breaking the box office both domestic and international so I think Disney is sitting up and paying attention to how universal pulled that off. Indy could do that too, I believe it.

Face_Melt

TheFirebird1 said:
I agree with you. I think Harrison's part of the saga needs to be resolved in a good way--he needs his final ride out into the sunset. After that, I'm on board with everything else Lucasfilm will offer. Honestly, I'm excited about what they're going to offer with the Indy universe, because I think they can expand on it quite a bit. Disney certainly has the money to.

Still a small chance for a 2021 release with Harrison Ford maybe for Raiders 40th anniversary.

Please Lucasfilm...make this film happen. Don?t let Skull be how Ford goes out in this role.

IndyForever

Jonathan Kasdan is not the right person to fix this his Star Wars scripts were utter rubbish. Also I think Lucas is the one pushing back on this as in he does not like the script so has asked for something else.

I think this means Indy 5 will never happen now Ford is just too old he looked ancient in BR2049 & cannot even run properly anymore since the accident onset of TFA damaged his leg.

Disney will most likely let them do another script then stop it unless Spielberg just agrees to shoot that.

Disney PC SJW Star Wars is an utter disaster & applying that formula to a Ford IJ movie will never work either.

Spielberg announcing this will definitely shoot next year then going back on that is strange I think we are not being told something in the background either Disney calling all the shots or some other issue. Clearly this is not straightforward at all Koepp has been working on the script for a long time.

DirkPitt

I think, it may be an ricochet of the mess around Star Wars. Since now there are a lot of rumors what is going in the top of LucasFilm.

We'll see, but the possibilities are getting fewer and fewer each day.

IndyForever

DirkPitt said:
I think, it may be an ricochet of the mess around Star Wars. Since now there are a lot of rumors what is going in the top of LucasFilm.

We'll see, but the possibilities are getting fewer and fewer each day.
That is quite possible as Disney are only about halfway there to breaking even on Lucasfilm $4B sale price. They only get on average half the box office returns minus all the over run reshoot costs & already high budgets of the 3 films they have made.

SW franchise is losing fan goodwill rapidly & Indy will never be more than 1 or 2 films as Harrison IS the franchise.

Maybe Spielberg has lost faith or enthusiasm there is clearly something in the background being kept from the public about what exactly is going on.

Raiders90

I think Solo flopping changed the ballgame and now they are going to only go with releases they are SURE will be hits. Indy V was a risky proposition financially and as such that may be why its current form was shelved.

Udvarnoky

I don't buy that there is any hesitance from Disney. If a Spielberg-directed adventure movie in a globally beloved franchise is a risk, then there is no such thing as security. I think we can take the line that the creatives have issues with the script at face value.

The interesting question to me is what those issues are. From Koepp's perspective, which he offered last fall, they had achieved a script the players were "mostly happy with," so for the brakes to be slammed like this nine months later suggests that he was full of baloney or that Spielberg/Ford suddenly decided they didn't like the direction they were going. And if Disney is being as hands-off about this project as I suspect, then it's really only Ford and Spielberg who have to be satisfied.

We probably won't get the story until well after the fact -- if ever, because after all we still don't know specifically what Lucas didn't like about the Darabont draft of the fourth film. But I look forward to the behind-the-scenes tales when all the dust settles.

TheFirebird1

Face_Palm said:
Still a small chance for a 2021 release with Harrison Ford maybe for Raiders 40th anniversary.

Please Lucasfilm...make this film happen. Don?t let Skull be how Ford goes out in this role.
Yeah. Even as someone who enjoyed Crystal Skull, the conclusion of it was extremely weak. It pretty much just set up a sequel, and if we don't get to see at least one more with Ford it will be all for naught.
I think (as many other posters here have alluded to) that Star Wars flopping and not doing as well as it should is essentially starting to slowly kill Indy at this point. With the rumor being that Disney is essentially trying to force out Kathleen Kennedy at Lucasfilm, I'm sure that'll send everything into mass chaos. Everything is apparently being revamped, and I wouldn't be surprised if Indy 5 undergoes even more dramatic revelations before it hits theaters.

Udvarnoky

I really think you guys are barking up the wrong tree with trying to find a nexus between Disney's Star Wars difficulties and the situation with Indiana Jones 5. This movie is in essence a one-off. Of course, Disney is going to see what they can do to continue the IP after Spielberg and Ford wrap up their run (if they get the chance), but that's tomorrow worry. I think Disney is happy to let Spielberg take creative authority on this one, which is as safe a box office bet as anything else.

It's possible that the soft numbers Solo pulled is making Disney re-evaluate an Indy reboot, but Indiana Jones 5 will live or die by Steven Spielberg's enthusiasm. That's what this all boils down to, in my opinion.

Last edited:

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
I really think you guys are barking up the wrong tree with trying to find a nexus between Disney's Star Wars difficulties and the situation with Indiana Jones 5. This movie is an essence a one-off. Of course, Disney is going to see what they can do to continue the IP after Spielberg and Ford wrap up their run (if they get the chance), but that's tomorrow worry. I think Disney is happy to let Spielberg take creative authority on this one, which is as safe a box office bet as anything else.
Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying, but the fact that Disney is trying at the moment to restructure Lucasfilm will give Indy 5 the short end of the stick. They're most likely going to end up transferring quite a few members of Indy 5's team at Lucasfilm over to help with Star Wars related issues, and while I doubt this will delay Indy 5 significantly enough, I'm sure it'll make the production a little more difficult.
And of course, that's not even the primary concern. Spielberg has to also want to do it, and apparently his shooting schedule is already filled with his "passion projects", so that'll obviously push back Indy even further.

Udvarnoky

What is this "Indy team" you imagine operating at Lucasfilm? The entire development of Indy 5 seems to be between Spielberg, Ford, and the latest screenwriter. Lucasfilm is just a logo. Spielberg is masterminding this project.

TheFirebird1

Udvarnoky said:
What is this "Indy team" you imagine operating at Lucasfilm? The entire development of Indy 5 seems to be between Spielberg, Ford, and the latest screenwriter.
Sorry about that, I should've probably been more specific. When I refer to Indy 5's "team", I'm referring to all the people at Lucasfilm who've been assigned to work on areas like advertisement, promotional materials, merchandise, etc. Pretty much the valuable guys in pre and post-production who help sell the film and the universe around it. Restructuring most likely means that these guys will be reorganized into different groups, not all necessarily pertaining to Indy 5.

Udvarnoky

I still don't understand what you're saying. The project isn't even in pre-production yet, and won't be without an approved script. This speculative concern about whether a Lucasfilm restructuring will theoretically impact the Indy 5 marketing machine - which is now three years away from revving up - is baffling to me. It's possibly the least relevant matter right now when it comes to this project.

Raiders112390 said:
I think a big problem was they wrote Indy into a corner with the ending of Skull with Marion and Mutt.

You call that a big problem? It's not a problem at all. TEMPLE OF DOOM disappeared Marion entirely in order to have a different love interest. All INDY 5 has to do is put Indy in a scenario where he is away from home. The End.