Paramount Pictures and the mystery of the second trailer

Zorg

They could easily put together a second teaser, which wouldn't reveal any more plot points than the first one did. Maybe a teaser concentrating on the mythology of the skulls? That'd be perfect IMHO.

Matt Holcomb

Gobi-1 said:
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End only had one trailer so it wouldn't completely surprise me if we only get one Indy teaser. However I do think they'll be another one by the end of the month.
The trailer for "Pirates III" is a full-length one that contains information about the story being told and the characters that inhabit it.

The "KotCS" teaser on the other hand is exactly that, a tease. It doesn't tell you a single thing about the story and its characters other than it has something to do with a fedora-donning man who's handy with a whip, a woman in command of some troops, a magnetic box protecting something from Roswell, and a temple in South America that seems to be some kind of ancient machine designed to hide something.

Mutt Williams

MarxBrosFan said:
Where did this news of a second trailer come from any way?

It was announced by Andrew Cripps himself, president of Paramount:

After showing the teaser trailer and talking about the marketing for George Lucas and Steven Spielberg's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Cripps also told the audience of mostly international exhibitors that there would be a new trailer for the movie sometime in April, presumably with Iron Man, as if anyone who went to see that superhero movie wouldn't know that Indy's back! Earlier that day, Cripps wouldn't comment when a moderator at a seminar tried getting him to confirm that the new Indy movie would premiere at this year's Cannes Film Festival in early May.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/showestnews.php?id=42822

The Man

We'll probably have to wait until Iron Man is out of the gate before the studio begins to fully pimp-up another blockbuster. It's amazing to think that we've only seen about 60-something seconds on Indy 4. Let's just hope they don't actually overkill the movie in the last two weeks...

torao

Moderator Emeritus
The Man said:
We'll probably have to wait until Iron Man is out of the gate before the studio begins to fully pimp-up another blockbuster. It's amazing to think that we've only seen about 60-something seconds on Indy 4. Let's just hope they don't actually overkill the movie in the last two weeks...

Absolutely what I think. I don't get the panic of this thread. At all. Also I have problems comprehending why that panic deserved an own thread despite there already being one on that matter. :confused:

The Man

torao said:
Absolutely what I think. I don't get the panic of this thread. At all. Also I have problems comprehending why that panic deserved an own thread despite there already being one on that matter. :confused:

Maybe it's more frustration than panic. April has been a sloooooow month so far...

ReggieSnake

torao said:
Agreed; personally, I'm fine just waiting a month for the release of the movie.

I'd be excited to see another trailer, but at the same time I don't want to know much more about the movie than what I know already.

deckard24

A new trailer is a must, and I'm fairly confident we'll get one soon!

With Lucas behind the marketing campaign, I'm sure there will be at least an official trailer followed by several more TV spots, as we move further into the summer and the film has been out for a while!

The funny thing is the emphasis on the Indy trailers has never been great by Lucas and Co.. At least not like he did with the Star Wars prequels, which are some of the best trailers I've seen. The Indy trailers have always been so-so, fun and campy in a retro/humorous way, but not great polished trailers. The KOTCS teaser is by far the best looking of all the Indy trailers, I mean just compare that with the LC teaser which was a making-of video!:confused:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aqQstnxnkYw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aqQstnxnkYw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

snake_surprise

I love that clip...one of my favorites.

Hilarious how they used their star power (Ford, Lucas, Spielberg) to market the movie.

Last time that was really utilized in terms of icons behind the camera utilized in marketing campaigns was with Hitchcock. Most of his stuff shows him more than Grant, Stewart, Kelly, et. al.

Blue Jay

i thought it was a clever idea for a teaser! it had some fun in it. i guess that this teaser was shown at an very early stage during the production.

Yure

Paramount will release a full trailer, the market needs it in many ways. Even the biggest hero who needs no presentation must undergo an industrial process before he gets to the teathres. A full teaser/trailer path should reveal the main plot device, introduce the characters. For Indy character description has done in the teaser (and they HAD to do it, even if he's so well-known) in the very beginning, so in the full trailer they'll probably show the sidekicks and the main challenge.

It also will feature a lot of dialogue, and there's a specific reason: trailers are also broadcast on the radio, just picture how it would be to air the actual teaser on the radio ;)

crowmagnumman

No Ticket said:
A bunch of my friends think the original trailer was lame. And I kind of agree in the sense that I think it could have been done a lot better. I'm wanting to see this second trailer... because I think it WILL be a lot better.

I kind of agree. The trailer could have been done much better. I don't want to be spoiled much more, but if they do a second trailer it could be an improvement.

IrishLuck1980

To be honest, the fact that it's almost a month away from release and we have no Trailer, kinda tells me all we're getting from this point on are TV Spots. Which in-itself is ridiculous. The Teaser was great, but the fact that half of it was a rehash of the previous 3 Indy films kinda pissed me off.

mr.wolf

i believe that since the film is now complete coming from the news from John Williams about the final reel being sent out and ready for print, we'll be getting a trailer anytime now.

mr.wolf

ya i'm kinda getting that feeling as well, with the way John Williams stated, it felt kinda like they wanted to get whatever was on the final reel done, so they could maybe put it into the trailer.

Dr. Indy Jones

Found this today:

Update: Iron Man to Open Early? New Indy Trailer
Source: Edward Douglas
March 11, 2008

UPDATE: ComingSoon.net has confirmed with Paramount Pictures that the domestic release date is still May 2.

ComingSoon.net will have a full write-up of the presentations made by the various studio's international distribution arms at ShoWest's International Day, but some potentially interesting information was leaked by Andrew Cripps, President of Paramount Pictures International, when he announced that Iron Man, the studio's summer kick-off and first movie in their partnership with Marvel Studios, will be released Day-and-Date internationally on April 30, two days before the domestic U.S. release.

Now most people might remember that Iron Man has long staked a claim on the release date of May 2, 2008, almost since it was announced, and it seems odd that Paramount might release the movie two days earlier in other markets, although it's not unheard of. (Maybe this writer is misremembering but they might have done that with Mission: Impossible III a few years ago.) It's more likely that they realized how much anticipation there'll be for the movie and decided to try a similar strategy they did with Michael Bay's Transformers last year, where the release date kept being moved earlier and earlier until it had screenings on Monday night, building up word-of-mouth for its first weekend. If Paramount does plan to release the movie a few days earlier, possibly with preview screenings on Wednesday or Thursday, expect that announcement to be made very soon.

After showing the teaser trailer and talking about the marketing for George Lucas and Steven Spielberg's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Cripps also told the audience of mostly international exhibitors that there would be a new trailer for the movie sometime in April, presumably with Iron Man, as if anyone who went to see that superhero movie wouldn't know that Indy's back! Earlier that day, Cripps wouldn't comment when a moderator at a seminar tried getting him to confirm that the new Indy movie would premiere at this year's Cannes Film Festival in early May

Source

blueseattle

They say.. "sometime in April" and "presumably with Iron Man" yet Iron Man is in May.

I'm thinking it'll get released in April online and attached in theaters later on May 2nd, which means sometime that last week in April.