Bantam Series: Canon?

monkey

indifan101 said:
Michael Crichton, Arthur C. Clarke and Tom Clancy! :D I love to read Jules Verne also!

Jules Verne kicks A$$!!

Tom clancy puts me to sleep.

Michael Crichton is awesome!!

Haven't read any Arthur C. Clarke

Monkey wrote quite a good Indiana Jones novel : )

Agatha Christie rules!!!

monkey

Thanks Canyon,

Yes, just back for a bit, then off to the wilderness again. I'll zap you a message soon.

indifan101

monkey said:
Jules Verne kicks A$$!!

Agatha Christie rules!!!

The first book you need to read by Arthur C. Clarke is 2001: A Space Odessey
My favorite novel by Jules Verne is From the Earth to the Moon!

Short Rounds

monkey said:
Jules Verne kicks A$$!!

Agatha Christie rules!!!

I like Clancy, and MC a lot. with Clancy you have to read the right one. I'm reading them in order but I suggest that you start with Patriot Games (First Jack Ryan novel). That was pretty good. If you like it read Without Remorse and then continue with the storyline. But be prepared for Red Rabbit...that was reallyy slow and the ending wasn't that great. Foley's cool though/

IndyBuff

Michael Crichton is one of my favorites and Tom Clancy has some good books (The Hunt For Red October, Red Storm Rising and Rainbow Six are great.) If you're looking for more great action books I'd recommend Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond. His Bond novels are great thrillers and and still hold up 50 years later.

Raiders90

What say you?

Are the Bantam series of novels canon, as in, do they fit into the timeline of Indiana Jone's life?

WeAreGoingToDie

In relation to the movies and YIJC tv series, the novels fit in very well. There are a few discrepancies with his college years, for example Oxley and Ravenwood never show up in the novels or YIJC, and Jack Shannon never shows up in YIJC. But most of that can be glossed over with simple explanations. The way I see it, the films and YIJC are canon while the novels are selectively canon. If one likes a conflicting comic book or video game plot more, then they can pick and choose. The final Bantam novels sold me on the novels being canon, as the buildup to Temple of Doom was too good too ignore.

Raiders90

Contradictions in the Bantam series

Outside of the college timeline, are there any other contradictions either within the series of Bantam novels themselves, or between the novels and the 4 movies, or between the novels and the YIJC?

Junior Jones

Good question. The college problem is the biggest and most problematic, but there are a few other minor contradictions that are easily explained or ignored.

None of the three authors took especial care to be consistent with each other, though there aren't any glaring problems. I can't think of any contradictions with the movie trilogy, but since Young Indy was being produced concurrently with the novels, neither seemed to be aware of what the other was doing.

For example, I'm re-reading Genesis Deluge right now, and Indy's friend Jack Shannon is part of a small-time gangster family. They get beat up in a prison cell by Al Capone and his thugs, with no mention of Indy's contact with him back in Mystery of the Blues. Earlier Jack had to explain to Indy how Capone and Torrio had come to power in Chicago, even though Indy was there when it happened.

Phil

Stoo

Raiders112390,

Firstly, you have to be the KING at asking questions you've ALREADY asked & starting threads on topics which already exist.:rolleyes: Bantam Series: Canon?

Secondly, can't you read the novels yourself?

Third, as JuniorJones/Phil wrote above + a couple of other contradictions:
- the crystal skull
- the summer of 1916

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Raiders112390,

Firstly, you have to be the KING at asking questions you've ALREADY asked & starting threads on topics which already exist.:rolleyes: Bantam Series: Canon?

Secondly, can't you read the novels yourself?

Third, as JuniorJones/Phil wrote above + a couple of other contradictions:
- the crystal skull
- the summer of 1916

Firstly, I don't cycle through my posts to see what I've written in the past and not. I also don't have a good memory.

Second, would if I had the money to buy them. Used to have them when I was around 13-14 and my dad threw them away. Would buy them again but I'm broke at the moment.

Third: Why does the Crystal Skull present a contradiction? Indy mentions searching for the Skull previously, nearly dying of typhus trying to.
And why does the Summer of 1916 present a problem? From what I've read and recall I don't think any of the adult novels go any farther back than 1920.

Stoo

1) Well, you've been encouraged to use the Search feature many times before but, for some reason, you don't. Is it because you keep forgetting that there is such a feature due to your poor memory?:confused:

3) Indy almost died of typhus looking for Akator, not the skull.
-In Indy 4 he says he saw a crystal skull "once in the British Museum". This contradicts the novels (and an unproduced Young Indy episode).
-The summer of 1916 is part of a flashback which has Indy in the southwest U.S. (according to Rob MacGregor). In the TV show, he's in Europe.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
Firstly, I don't cycle through my posts to see what I've written in the past and not. I also don't have a good memory.

Then, please, please, compensate for your memory and at the very least, cycle through the threads you've started before you start a new one. Because Stoo is right - you've got a bad habit of starting redundant threads. You're well-behaved otherwise, and they're occasionally interesting topics, but it's careless and disrespectful to those who have already said meaningful things on those topics. It's not that they shouldn't be discussed again...it's that they should be discussed again as a continuation of the prior topic. That's the upside of a place like this having been around for ten years.

And this isn't just for Raiders112390...there's a number of you that do this. It'll make everyone's experience much more pleasant and rewarding if you would make that extra effort.

Threads merged.

Last edited: