new feeling over KOTCS!!!

The Man

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Lol, I first read that as "I'll still see it on stage, though..." and it got me thinking "Has a KOTS musical been announced that I haven't heard about???" :hat:

Dear God, is Lucas reading this?!

WeAreGoingToDie

He'd better be! The more torture to you the better! Bring on "Skull! The Musical"

"Oh we've got ants, in our pants! And it makes us want to daaaaance! And SIIIIIIING!"

"Up here in the treeee with all my monkeyyyys I feeeeeel so very....FREEEEE!!!"

"When you're Russian, you're a rushin' for that crazy coo-coo skull! Ha-cha-cha-cha!"

deckard24

Well I'm hoping it gets better with repeat viewings at home, but I'm not so sure?! When I first saw it at the midnight show I left with a strange indifferent feeling, but then upon the second viewing I really enjoyed it. A lot of that had to do with the company, but after seeing it a few more times with all the friends and family members that wanted to see it, its weaknesses got more and more apparent and hard to ignore! I agree TOD and LC are flawed as well, and the only one of those two I felt indifferent about at first was LC, but it did grow on me!

I'm sincerely hoping KOTCS will become just another sequel to me, and I'll pop it in and enjoy it every now and then, but who knows? If I can still watch a POTC movie every once and a while, I guess it's possible!

The Man

WeAreGoingToDie said:
He'd better be! The more torture to you the better! Bring on "Skull! The Musical"

"Oh we've got ants, in our pants! And it makes us want to daaaaance! And SIIIIIIING!"

"Up here in the treeee with all my monkeyyyys I feeeeeel so very....FREEEEE!!!"

"When you're Russian, you're a rushin' for that crazy coo-coo skull! Ha-cha-cha-cha!"

podbor13_04.jpg

"How does 'Jungle Boogie' go again?"

WeAreGoingToDie

It could be a one monkey man show!

"I've been swinging past the crates one day
keeping meanie meanie Russians away
I was taken by surprise
with the Ark before my eyes
I've finally found it, hip-hooray!"

StoneTriple

Indy~Annie said:
maybe its cause i never seen Indy at the theater just at home....hmmm...

I think you've experienced - and now voiced - one of the big lines of division on this board. There are fans who experienced the films in the theaters and fans that grew up with them as a boxed set.
For my generation, we only really had the theater experience for a while. When we were able to see Indy at home, it was usually on our tube televisions playing VHS tapes. Some of us, myself included, had laserdisc players hooked up to our "stereo". While that may have given us a slightly better picture and slightly better sound, the picture was still only on our big 26" TV.;) Man, even PC monitors are bigger and better than that now. For us, the Indiana Jones World was best at the theaters. It's how we were introduced to it. That's where we connected to the stories.

Because the franchise spans decades, there is another generation of fans. Fans that only ever experienced the films at home. Their Indiana Jones World was born in the comfort & familiarity of their own home – on equipment that is unbelievably better than what we had in the early 80s. They’re watching the films on 50” flat-screen plasma TVs, with DVD quality pictures, and incredible sound systems. Indiana Jones is bigger than life in their homes. For us, watching it at home in the early 80s was a big step backwards from the theater experience.

In May of this year, seeing Indiana Jones in a theater may have seemed out of place to the young generation, much the same way seeing it on an old tube TV would have seemed out of place for us, back in the 80s.

It may just come down to mental comfort. These films after all, are something very emotional – for all of us - regardless of age.

For someone like Annie, perhaps once Kingdom had come home – literally as well as figuratively - and joined the rest of the franchise, she was able to see & experience the adventure in a way that allowed her to emotionally connect to it the way she did the other three.

I will say, as I watched it last night I really enjoyed it – and I’m someone who loved it in the theater. I felt even more connected than I did four months ago.

Last edited:

sandiegojones

Raiders was the first film I ever saw in a theater. I also saw LC in the theater, but I've seen all of them far more on video at home so that's how I'm accustomed to viewing them.

Watching KOTCS on DVD really made it a more similar experience.The films take place in different time periods so some things stick out, but I could still watch all 4 back to back and have it feel pretty seamless.

James

sandiegojones said:
I could still watch all 4 back to back and have it feel pretty seamless.

I think it's the most seamless of all the recent "80's comeback" films. Die Hard and Rambo are both pretty jarring (stylistically, when viewed alongside their previous entries), but Indy feels like it was cut from the same cloth.

I really didn't expect the 50's setting to blend as well as it does. A big part of this is undoubtedly due to Harrison Ford. It's really quite amazing how effortlessly he stepped back into the role.

Snap

Well I went down to Best Buy to purchase Fifa 09. I wasn't planning on buying kotcs, but I decided to check it out anyway. Didn't see a special edition version except for one that came with a cheap crystal skull replica. And to further my displeasement with best buy that day, they didn't have fifa 09. SO I left without getting anything. I guess I'm gonna wait to till either my mom gets it, and I can get it from her when I get back from college, or I decided to get it after a few more watches of forgetting sarah marshall, which is a great film I suggest everyone gets.

Oh yeah, I saw Young Indy "The change years" and was going to get that until I saw that it was over 100 dollars. Holy crap huh?

James

Snap said:
Oh yeah, I saw Young Indy "The change years" and was going to get that until I saw that it was over 100 dollars. Holy crap huh?

Tuesday was actually the first time I've considered buying Young Indy, since Best Buy has all three sets priced at $49.99 this week.

Dewy9

It was great to see KOTCS again on the small screen. I put off watching most of the bonus features so that some of it will still seem new.

weaponx24

I bought it on Blu-Ray and have watched it twice now. Definitely liking it the more I watch it. Just a different type of adventure for Indy from the previous. Plus when Im watching it I keep in mind that Lucas said that this is supposed to be a "B" type classic 50's alien type story. So thats what I relate some of the cheesy lines to...I dont know. Maybe its just me...:hat:

AtomicAge

StoneTriple said:
I think you've experienced - and now voiced - one of the big lines of division on this board. There are fans who experienced the films in the theaters and fans that grew up with them as a boxed set.
For my generation, we only really had the theater experience for a while. When we were able to see Indy at home, it was usually on our tube televisions playing VHS tapes. Some of us, myself included, had laserdisc players hooked up to our "stereo". While that may have given us a slightly better picture and slightly better sound, the picture was still only on our big 26" TV.;) Man, even PC monitors are bigger and better than that now. For us, the Indiana Jones World was best at the theaters. It's how we were introduced to it. That's where we connected to the stories.

I saw Raiders at a sneek preview when I was 16 about 2 weeks before it opened. I had no idea what Raiders of the Lost Ark was. I thought it might be something to do with Noah's Ark. Much to my surprise! It had a huge influence on my interest in film making.

I actually got a projectionist to let me into the booth with a video camera on the re-release, so I could get my own letterboxed copy of the film. (at that point only the pan and scan VHS was available).

I intentionally didn't read anything about Crystal Skull before it came out, so I was going in blind other than knowing it took place in the 50's. I have to say that it reminded me very much of that first viewing of Raiders, when I knew nothing about it.

Doug

RaideroftheArk

Indy~Annie said:
i just got done watching Indy 4!!!

and i was wondering if any body else got this same feeling as me.

as i was watching it,i felt like i was watching an Indy movie.ok uh when i saw it at the theater i loved it! but i had to admit to myself it didnt really feel like an Indy movie,but now since i seen it at home it felt more Indy~ish

do you understand what i mean?

but did anyone have the same feeling as me?

maybe its cause i never seen Indy at the theater just at home....hmmm...

This totally happened to me...except I really didn't like it the first time I saw it....I had to see it a second time to appreciate it and realize it was just as good as all the other Indy sequels.

It's a fun movie to watch.

Shortie

sandiegojones said:
Raiders was the first film I ever saw in a theater. I also saw LC in the theater, but I've seen all of them far more on video at home so that's how I'm accustomed to viewing them.

Watching KOTCS on DVD really made it a more similar experience.The films take place in different time periods so some things stick out, but I could still watch all 4 back to back and have it feel pretty seamless.

This is wrong for me. I loved KOCS in theaters. I don't have the DVD yet. Hopefully this weekend I will.