Which Indy film is the best?

Out of all the films, which one is definitively the best?

• Total voters

Duaner

temple_runner said:
I'm a high school English teacher and we are doing a film studies unit for the next two weeks on Raiders. We are going to be looking at what makes the film work, including shots, edits, sequences, sets, etc. Gonna look at the script, too.

Coolest teacher ever! I hope your students enjoy it.

Joe Brody

temple_runner said:
I'm a high school English teacher and we are doing a film studies unit for the next two weeks on Raiders. We are going to be looking at what makes the film work, including shots, edits, sequences, sets, etc. Gonna look at the script, too.

You should spend some time on Marion and the range of emotions she manifests in Raiders. Compare to Wilie and Elsa who are pretty monotone and one note.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
You should spend some time on Marion and the range of emotions she manifests in Raiders. Compare to Wilie and Elsa who are pretty monotone and one note.

Very good idea. While I don't think <I>Raiders</I> is particularly masculinist, it's still a pretty male-driven story. How, if at all, does Marion work against what the rest of the movie is doing? How does she compare to similar characters in other genre films?

Major West

Marion was a fleshed out character who had a relationship and previous History with Jones. Willie was a character Indy met for the first time right at the start of the film. I think her character did about as much as you could do under the circumstances. Also the 'Nocturnal activities' scene is one of my favorite fun non action sequences in the whole franchise. :hat:

Udvarnoky

I'll go to bat for Willie Scott as well. She's introduced as a spoiled, insulated person, and behaves accordingly and believably to her circumstances. She also has a nice, discernible arc in parallel with Indy's. By the end of the movie, they've both learned a bit of humility.

Joe Brody

Udvarnoky said:
I'll go to bat for Willie Scott as well. She's introduced as a spoiled, insulated person, and behaves accordingly and believably to her circumstances. She also has a nice, discernible arc in parallel with Indy's. By the end of the movie, they've both learned a bit of humility.

I respectfully disagree. She's unwatchable.

And you sir, your contributions these past days have been exceptional.

Pale Horse said:
Now there's an origin story I'd love to see. Indiana Jones: The Forrestal Years...

Why not, Disney's spun Rogue One off, now.

I'd put that story in a full on Forrestal ghost story -- that would be age appropriate for an elderly Indy. Indiana Jones and the Curse of Forrestal.

NightWalker81

Willie is an amazing girl. She only needed a little good whipping from Indy :whip: to become softer and more calm (y) :D XD

OK, jokes aside XD, I like the character of Willie because is an interesting contrast with the character of Indy. Indeed, if you look close enough, you will see in every movie we have different characters who give a different light over Dr. Jones. They make we can see different angles of the hero and we go making a more complete puzzle.

The fact Willie is whiner and jumpy is deliberated. I find super-funny the mix of the nervous and restless Willie with the valiant and confident Indiana. It's a blast!:whip:

I find Willie is very beautiful too, in my opinion.

temple_runner

Joe Brody said:

For the sake of time in my class, we will consider "Willie" and "Elsa" as nonexistent.

Some of the things we'll be looking at (this is 11th grade English) are:
-Whether the movie portrays Jones more as an archeologist or a raider/treasure plunderer
-Using the script details to see how a set is built based on those scripts.
-A look at the "Art of a Scene" boulder scene.
-Actor influence (using Ford's marks and notes in the script)
-Cinematic techniques (shots/angles)
-Music and Themes, of course

I am going to be wearing my Indy costume the first day, so I hope it gets them excited.

Drones33

temple_runner said:
For the sake of time in my class, we will consider "Willie" and "Elsa" as nonexistent.

Some of the things we'll be looking at (this is 11th grade English) are:
-Whether the movie portrays Jones more as an archeologist or a raider/treasure plunderer
-Using the script details to see how a set is built based on those scripts.
-A look at the "Art of a Scene" boulder scene.
-Actor influence (using Ford's marks and notes in the script)
-Cinematic techniques (shots/angles)
-Music and Themes, of course

I am going to be wearing my Indy costume the first day, so I hope it gets them excited.
Wish I could be there :hat:

Paul Pauley

Anyone done a Lao Che spin-off in fan fiction?

I'd like to see how Lao fared in the Empire of the Sun Japanese invasion period.

Maybe Indy returned to China during WWII?

Duaner

JollyGreenSlugg said:
Anyone done a Lao Che spin-off in fan fiction?

I'd like to see how Lao fared in the Empire of the Sun Japanese invasion period.

Maybe Indy returned to China during WWII?

There was a lot of tension in Shanghai following the Japanese invasion. I figure Lao Che would have been one of the Chinese businessmen who was loyal to the Japanese which would have made him the target of Chinese resistance groups.