Bungeishunjū: Young Indy Japanese Adaptations

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here we go again!
Looking for the best cover images available for these fourteen books.
And are any of them translations of English adaptations?
The cover artwork is original, right?

JapaneseCotJ.jpg

o0569032710657039056.jpg

Plaristes

Hmm, I hadn't heard of these. I'd also like to know if these are simply Japanese translations of English material or if they're original Japanese adaptations.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Google / Babelfish translation of the titles.
The last one got some NSFW images.

1. The Curse of the Jackal / Cursing the jackal
2. Gunshot of the border / Sound of gunfire of border
3. Matahari love / Love of [matahari]
4. Under separation of war / Parting under game
5. The last messenger / Last messenger
6. First love Vienna / Vienna of first love
7. Saint of the jungle / Saint of jungle
8. Emissary of the emperor / The secret messenger of emperor
9. Mysteries of the Orient / The oriental secret
10. Poetry of gun smoke / Poem of smoke
11. Secret War of Harry Frigg / Escape large maneuvers
12. Laugh Barcelona / Barcelona which you laugh
13. Savannah detective / Detective of savanna
14. Red passion / Red passion

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Moedred said:
Here we go again!

JapaneseCotJ.jpg

o0569032710657039056.jpg

No, they appear to be original/fresh adaptions of the series. Still, it could say anything for all I know!!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Moedred said:
Here we go again!

No, they are original/fresh adaptions of the series. Still, it could say anything for all I know!!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I so want these!!! Is there any pics of the inside pages around? I'm really curious to see how they styled Young Indy in manga form! It would be great if there was an English translation version of these. I doubt there is though, considering the popularity of the series itself, but it would still be nice.

InexorableTash

Wow, those are (mostly) awesome. It looks like the artist was working off a combination of the Drew/Butkus poster art and screen caps from the episodes.

Stoo: more fodder for the "Vol 6/7/8" covers?

Stoo

Moedred said:
The artwork is certainly original and darned gorgeous, too. Worth having for just the covers alone. Nice discovery, Moedred!:hat:
Violet said:
I so want these!!! Is there any pics of the inside pages around? I'm really curious to see how they styled Young Indy in manga form!
These books are probably just text, Violet. If there are any illustrations inside, it's a good bet there are done traditionally and not in cartoon fashion. To see Young Indy in manga :)sick:) style, follow the links in this thread: Indiana Jones Manga
Junior Jones said:
Most of the likenesses are very good, but there's definitely something wrong with Indy's eyes on this one:
He looks like a cross between a young Mickey Rooney and a young Jerry Lewis!:)
Inexorable Tash said:
Stoo: more fodder for the "Vol 6/7/8" covers?
Yes! Great minds think alike.;)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
More translations.
1. Author: Toshiki Taguchi / Tosiki Taguchi
2. Author: N. Nakai / Norio Nakai
3. Author: K. Muramatsu / Kiyoshi Muramatsu
4. Author: Junichi Tomonari / Friend forming Junichi
5. Author: Hiroshi Yano, Saburo / Saburo Hiroshi Yano
6. Author: Morish!ta, Kazuhito / Morish!ta one benevolence
7. Author: N. Omori / Omori gazing/hoping
8. Author: Obi 芙佐 / Small tail
9. Author: No order Yokota / Yokota order
10. Author: Chiaki Kawamata / The river and many years
11. Author: Hiroaki Okazaki / Okazaki Hiro discernment
12. Author: Shinji Kajio / Rudder tail Saneharu
13. Author: Hiroki Murakami / Murakami Hiroshi basis
14. Author: Yasuhiko Kaita / Pagoda tree multi Yasuhiko
Stoo, can you make a quick list of what episodes were adapted by Random House and Bungeishunju? It may take a lot of digging to determine whether the authors worked off the English adaptions to any degree. I only feature non-English covers on the site if they have original artwork, so these definitely have a place, though I just don't know if this is a publisher like Hachette Livre which kept on going. This doesn't even get into unpublished material.

Plaristes

With the exceptions of 10 and 11, I think I can tell which episodes these adapt. Does anyone know which episodes those remaining two are adaptations of? :confused:

Stoo

Plaristes said:
With the exceptions of 10 and 11, I think I can tell which episodes these adapt. Does anyone know which episodes those remaining two are adaptations of?:confused:
#10 must be the Somme episode because of the poetry connection with Siegfried Sassoon (Poetry of gun smoke / Poem of smoke)

#11 must be the Germany episode because of the Harry Frig/escape connection. (Funny that Google translated this one as, "Secret War of Harry Frigg", since that is a late '60s movie with Paul Newman playing an prison escape artist during WW2!(y))
Moedred said:
Stoo, can you make a quick list of what episodes were adapted by Random House and Bungeishunju? It may take a lot of digging to determine whether the authors worked off the English adaptions to any degree. I only feature non-English covers on the site if they have original artwork, so these definitely have a place, though I just don't know if this is a publisher like Hachette Livre which kept on going. This doesn't even get into unpublished material.
There are 6 episodes which are unique to the Bungeishunju series:
- Curse of the Jackal - Part 2 (Mexico)
- London
- Vienna
- Peking
- Somme
- Barcelona

The remainder had been adapted by Random House with the exception of "Congo" (done by Fantail) and "Paris 1916" (done by Ballantine). Note: Random House adapted "Princeton 1916" but Bungeishunju did not.

That said, Junior Jones wrote that all the Japanese novels are fresh adaptations. How he knows this for sure, is a mystery!:)

Bungeishunju
01. Curse of the Jackal - Part 1 (Egypt)
02. Curse of the Jackal - Part 2 (Mexico)
03. Paris, 1916
04. London
05. Verdun
06. Vienna
07. Congo, (+ German East Africa?)
08. Austria
09. Peking
10. Somme
11. Germany
12. Barcelona
13. British East Africa
14. Petrograd

Random House
01. Curse of the Jackal Part 1 (Egypt)
02. Verdun
03. British East Africa
04. Austria
05. German East Africa
06. Petrograd
07. Princeton 1916
08. Germany

Fantail
01. German East Africa + Congo
02. Verdun
03. Austria
04. Petrograd

Ballantine
01. Paris 1916

Golden
02. British East Africa

Lao_Che

Stoo said:
These books are probably just text, Violet. If there are any illustrations inside, it's a good bet there are done traditionally and not in cartoon fashion. To see Young Indy in manga :)sick:) style, follow the links in this thread: Indiana Jones Manga

They're not manga no. I only got the first one as a curiosity since I won't be learning Japanese any time soon but it has:
A map of Indy's travels
A map of the episode location
Picture of George Lucas with signature
The story illustrated with photos from the episode
Timeline
Episode credits
Biographies of the cast
Behind the scenes info/photos

There's a Japanese fansite somewhere that had all the cover images.

Lao_Che

Moedred said:
All the covers discussed in this thread, or just these?

The covers of the books the thread is about. ;)

I saw the site some time after Crystal Skull, it could have gone into the ether by now. Or I'm misremembering. :p

gkitti

Stoo said:
There are 6 episodes which are unique to the Bungeishunju series:
- Curse of the Jackal - Part 2 (Mexico)
- London
- Vienna
- Peking
- Somme
- Barcelona

Bungeishunju
03. Paris, 1916
04. London
05. Verdun
06. Vienna
07. Congo, (+ German East Africa?)
08. Austria
09. Peking
10. Somme
11. Germany
12. Barcelona
13. British East Africa
14. Petrograd

Random House
01. Curse of the Jackal Part 1 (Egypt)
02. Verdun
03. British East Africa
04. Austria
05. German East Africa
06. Petrograd
07. Princeton 1916
08. Germany

Fantail
01. German East Africa + Congo
02. Verdun
03. Austria
04. Petrograd

Ballantine
01. Paris 1916

Golden
02. British East Africa

Don't forget the German Books. For some reasons we had some Translations of YIJ novels that never made it in the States:
This series contains books from different original series by Random House (the Stine's book), Fantail (Nigel Robinson books) and Ballantine (James Luceno book) books as well as (according to the book details) original stories by Mike F. Thompson that have been first printed in this German series.

vgs Verlagsgesellschaft
Die Abenteuer des jungen Indiana Jones (The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles)

01. Fluch der Mumie. Ägypten 1908. (The Mummy's Curse by Megan Stine and William H. Stine) [1992, 3-8025-22389]
02. Pancho Villa. Mexiko 1916. (original* by Mike F. Thompson) [1992, 3-8025-22397]
03. Felder des Todes. September 1916. (The Day of Destiny by Nigel Robinson) [1992, 3-8025-22400]
04. Schüsse im Garten Eden. Britisch-Ostafrika 1909. (original* by Mike F. Thompson) [1993, 3-8025-22516]
05. Mata Hari. Paris 1916. (The Mata Hari Affair, Part II, Paris by James Luceno) [1993, 3-8025-22508]
06. Am Todesfluß. Afrika 1916/1917. (The River of Death by Nigel Robinson) [1993, 3-8025-22494]
07. Der Eunuch von Barcelona. Spanien 1917. (original* by Mike F. Thompson) [1993, 3-8025-22672]
08. Die Nadeln des Dr. Wen Chiu. Indien und China 1910. [1993, 3-8025-22680] (original* by Mike F. Thompson)
09. Geburtstag in St. Petersburg. Petrograd 1917. (The Rule of Russia by Nigel Robinson) [1993, 3-8025-22664]
10. Der Fürst des Schreckens. Transsylvanien 1918. (original* by Mike F. Thompson) [1994, 3-8025-23199]
11. Gangsterkrieg in Chicago. Amerika 1920. (original* by Mike F. Thompson) [1994, 3-8025-23180]
12. Im Auftrag Seiner Majestät. Österreich 1917. (The Secret Treaty by Nigel Robinson) [1994, 3-8025-22850]

03. Verdun
04. British East Africa
05. Paris 1916
06. German East Africa + Congo
07. Barcelona
08. Peking + Benares
09. Petrograd
10. Transylvania
11. Chicago
12. Austria 1917