Jungle Cruise: The Movie

Le Saboteur

Plaristes said:
Cool! Where is that prop?

On one of the shelves in the Society of Explorers and Adventurers meeting room. I couldn't tell you which one exactly, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. There are lots of hidden jokes and references scattered throughout the canteen.

We need to get a group together and hold court at the butterfly booth!

70.jpg

Hoopla!

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:
I'm in. Definitely.

Everybody should be in. It would be everything they claim to want in these movies. Like the picture above: Lost civilizations. Untouched rivers. Fierce beasts.

There's your poster tagline.

See that tackle box on the left end of the shelf? It belongs to J. Lindsey and might contain a live snake. More layering and blending.

Skipper_Canteen_24_.jpg

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
...the attraction's action-adventure roots a la '51's The African Queen!

An important tidbit of for the money men courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter's original review of The African Queen.

A certain other series can learn some important lessons too.

THR Staff said:
Filmed in Africa by S.P. Eagle, the production is a stunning pictorial display, wonderfully accurate in its atmospheric values and eye-arresting scenery. The backgrounds add considerably to the enormous credibility found in this narrative about the daring odyssey made through the jungle by a missionary's straight laced sister and a dissolute adventurer.

A sense of place is important.

Now that he's officially on board, The Rock is of course doing early promotion work hyping his participation. Normally that would be fine, but the idea that WDI would be seeking The Rock's advice in "improving" the ride. Said improvements would take place at all versions of the ride, and go into effect before the movie opened.

A temporary overlay? Tolerable. But lifelong changes featuring The Rock's likeness? Kill it with fire.

A couple of additional preferences:

1.) Don't call it The Jungle Cruise Movie.
2.) Don't have The Rock be the Skip.
3.) Do make it a traditional action-adventure movie.
4.) Do hire Darius Khondji to lens the picture.

Forbidden Eye

I'm glad they're making more theme park ride-inspired movies, and definitely feel The Jungle Cruise could work: I was looking forward to it when Tom Hanks and Tim Allen were scheduled to be in it.

Sadly, I don't particularly like The Rock, and I'm disappointed he's part of the project.

curmudgeon

First off...

Apparently, this site reached to Disney about changes to the ride, and say:

Well, according to Disney, it turns out that is not case. Although Disney did confirm that The Rock did meet with Disney Imagineers recently, Disney said there are no plans to revamp the ride at this time. Good news for fans of the original attraction.

Secondly, a director for the film has reportedly been set:

Jaume Collet-Serra, director of Liam Neeson thrillers Non-Stop and Unknown.

It's said that he turned down the directing job for Suicide Squad 2 for this, because...

He decided that the opportunity to originate a new Indiana Jones-like action-adventure franchise in lockstep with one of the most globally bankable film stars ? like Gore Verbinski did with Johnny Depp in The Pirates of the Caribbean ? was a better opportunity than continuing a storyline originated by another director. Production will begin late next spring.

(Sorry for the F-word, Stoo. Their choice of phrase, not mine.)

TheFedora

curmudgeon said:
First off...

Apparently, this site reached to Disney about changes to the ride, and say:

It's said that he turned down the directing job for Suicide Squad 2 for this, because...

(Sorry for the F-word, Stoo. Their choice of phrase, not mine.)

Very glad that there will not be any changes to the ride. I honestly would not feel comfortable with them just changing things for that.

Le Saboteur

TheFedora said:
Very glad that there will not be any changes to the ride. I honestly would not feel comfortable with them just changing things for that.

It took... three(?) movies before Jack was added to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Because they have no publicly available plans to put The Rock into the Jungle, it doesn't mean that there isn't a proposal on some executive's desk. Given the current direction of the parks, I can almost guarantee that The Rock will somehow be added in; it's one of the things to genuinely dislike this current incarnation of Disney for -- everything that gets added to the North American parks at least has to be a movie tie-in. Original attractions are for the overseas parks, and even those are hard to come by.

curmudgeon said:

Nothing about this director's filmography stands out as being particularly notable, but The Shallows did look interesting. I'm intrigued. Will a director of mid-tier action flicks be able to helm a big-budget action-adventure picture? At the very least they're going in the direction I want (and believe) it should be going in.

Conceptually speaking The World Famous Jungle Cruise is my favorite ride, but since they killed the narrations department it's been all down hill since. Good Skips who can deliver the canned spiel are few and far between.

re: Indiana Jones

The World Famous Jungle Cruise is permanently themed to 1936, so it's right in with Dr. Jones' wheelhouse. If production continues in the action-adventure vein, then comparisons are bound to happen and hopefully be apt.

Let's remember that Indiana Jones might be shorthand for a certain type of movie today, but it is not the originator.

Le Saboteur

The circle is nearly complete...

Freddy Martin said:
Disney parks are known for their incredible spacial storytelling techniques. They weave together seemingly unrelated details and hidden nuggets within the architecture and decor to tell cohesive stories that the sharp-eyed visitor can see and enjoy. It?s what makes it possible to visit the parks again and again for a lifetime without the novelty wearing off.

One such storyline revolves, not around a famous Disney film property, but around a secret society of wealthy globetrotters and treasure seekers known as the Society of Explorers and Adventurers (The S.E.A.). It?s origins are mysterious even among Disney insiders. That?s because details revealed about these fez-wearing, secret handshake-shaking millionaires are few and far between. Only in recent years has some of the folklore been added through hidden details and, in a few cases, overt placement in attractions, stores, and dining locations.

Full article: Disneyland Finally Gets a S.E.A. Connection

Joe Brody

Le Saboteur said:
The circle is nearly complete...

Indeed, what's this? Content for the 1%?

So I guess the rabble gets Sponge-Bob rip-off cartoons featuring the Big 5 (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy) set in various international locals, while the 1%-ers get the S.E.A. Club?

Great.

. . .that’s because details revealed about these fez-wearing, secret handshake-shaking millionaires are few and far between.

If Edward Said were still alive he'd have a field day with all this dead white guy adventurer fetishism. Sorry -- I gotta chalk this up to imagineer masturbatory content creation run amok.

Le Saboteur

Joe Brody said:
Indeed, what's this? Content for the 1%?

So I guess the rabble gets Sponge-Bob rip-off cartoons featuring the Big 5 (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy) set in various international locals, while the 1%-ers get the S.E.A. Club?

Great.

Bruh, you so woke you must be blind if that's the connection you made.

Joe Brody said:
If Edward Said were still alive he'd have a field day with all this dead white guy adventurer fetishism. Sorry -- I gotta chalk this up to Imagineer masturbatory content creation run amok.

I know White Guilt is a popular thing these days, but you can take that Said trash out of here.

Joe Brody

Le Saboteur said:
Bruh, you so woke you must be blind if that's the connection you made.

Pray sir, what, precisely, connection is that?

I made two: (1.) Linking the millionaire S.E.A. club with the 1%, and (2.) Linking (actually contrasting) the S.E.A. club with the Disney Shorts -- recently put out by Disney Television Animation that consciously adopted more of a blue collar, every-man's ethos for Mickey & Co's adventures.

Le Saboteur said:
I know White Guilt is a popular thing these days, but you can take that Said trash out of here.

The irony here is too rich -- compare your cast of fictional S.E.A. explorers (and, for the Hell of it, throw in the lives of the imagineers who offer their likenesses for some of the S.E.A. related artwork) against Said's true life story and you're calling Said's oeuvre trash?

Said is no two-bit Mizzou assistant professor shouting for some muscle. Regardless of your views of his works, he transformed academic analysis (true, relying heavily on Michel Foucault -- which may be why you're calling his work 'trash' but that's a separate argument).

As for 'White Guilt' -- none here of that here at all.

First, the whole S.E.A. concept of a connected back stories for rides, venues and attractions in different Disney Lands and venues goes against the original vision for Disney Land/World of transporting park goers to dramatically different AND SEPARATE worlds that are mere steps apart. For example, having a S.E.A. related back story for both Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and the Jungle Cruise is retarded because it creates a linkage between the two worlds (Adventureland and Frontierland) that shouldn't be there. The S.E.A. linkages makes the world too small a place -- and that's not what Walt Disney's vision was about.

Second and what's worse, the actual linkage is a group of dead, crusty rich guys. How unimaginative is that? Given the way the Imagineers are falling over themselves with homages to African Queen, I think it would be fitting if a founding member of S.E.A. would be King Leopold or one of his bastard sons. That way, Disney diehard fans searching for 'Easter Eggs' could gain an appreciation for real history instead of the now (with this film) twice white-washed story of the Belgian Congo that bizarrely enough has its true roots in Joseph Conrad's masterpiece The Heart of Darkness.

What you call 'White Guilt', I simply call having a marginal interest in acknowledging the true historical record.

Le Saboteur

curmudgeon said:
Emily Blunt joins the cast.

This is the best piece of casting news to date. No, like, seriously.

curmudgeon said:
I'm very curious to see what they're going for with this one.

This is one of the most exciting aspects of the project: It's a wide-open concept. They can do almost anything with it so long as it features a tramp steamer and an appropriate riverine system. Action-Adventure? Comedy? Historical fiction?

The only thing that could sink this project would be a literal retelling of the ride on the screen; a two-hour spiel of cornball jokes by The Rock would want me to gouge my eyes out. I remain optimistic that they'll lay into the ride's action-adventure roots since they've opted to make it a period piece.

Stoo said:
My guess would be the Congo region because a "Jungle Cruise" movie just wouldn't seem complete without some African elephants. It would also be great to see some hippos, too. Lots of 'em!

I'm still leaning towards a South American location, but the more I think about it, the more I like an Asian setting. Asia has elephants too! Only males have tusks though, with a twin humped head (compared to the African elephant's single, rounded dome). Asia gives you: mahouts, Indians, the Chinese, the British Raj/Empire, the French, and whatever local peoples and rulers you can think of. The scenery would be amazing.