Trip to Cairo

Joosse

Montana Smith said:
It might be better to keep quiet about the grave robbing, though!

Shhhh.

Now Montana, what did we discuss about that...

Montana Smith said:
Do you always travel in character? It's almost as brave as Stoo wearing the pith helmet in public (or at least in the desert). ;)

I travel in character as much as I can get away with. Or at least as much as my wife let's me... ;)

And Egypt is just a perfect country for safari shirts and only an idiot doesn't wear a hat there.

So I might as well bring the ones I have, right?

I was actually complemented on my hat by an Egyptian archeologist while I was inside Tutanchamun's tomb.

Montana Smith said:
You look like you were signing autographs, rather than making notes for your students. :hat:

Wait a minute...

Are you trying to tell me I look like Adolph Hitler?

:mad: ;) :D

The_Raiders

Joose, what Indy shirt do you have? I notice it has darker buttons like TOD, all the shirts I've seen have lighter buttons. I got Todd's shirt and it's torn up beyond repair, simply from being used so much :p

Montana Smith

Joosse said:
Wait a minute...

Are you trying to tell me I look like Adolph Hitler?

:mad: ;) :D

Now that would be very brave! Dressing up as Uncle Adolf is a surefire way of shortening any holiday! You're right, though, that Egypt is a good place go public as Indy.

Stoo hasn't been here for a few days now, and I never took the opportunity to complement him on that classic pith helmet look. As for me, I'm far too shy to go anywhere in character. :eek:

Joosse

The_Raiders said:
Joose, what Indy shirt do you have? I notice it has darker buttons like TOD, all the shirts I've seen have lighter buttons. I got Todd's shirt and it's torn up beyond repair, simply from being used so much :p

It's a Noel Howard LC shirt.

The ones with the scorpion I'm actually not wearing an Indy shirt but a regular safari shirt. Between you and me, if you wear an Indy shirt in Egypt, it's going to end up full of sweat much like Harrison Ford's shirt usually was...

Very SA I suppose... ;)

Joosse

Montana Smith said:
Now that would be very brave! Dressing up as Uncle Adolf is a surefire way of shortening any holiday!

Hm, yeah I guess. But I'm not Eric Cartman or prince Harry...

Montana Smith said:
You're right, though, that Egypt is a good place go public as Indy.

Over there it's just practical clothing.

Montana Smith said:
Stoo hasn't been here for a few days now, and I never took the opportunity to complement him on that classic pith helmet look. As for me, I'm far too shy to go anywhere in character. :eek:

Stoo does look good! (y)

But as far as being too shy? Come on, it's all in good fun, right?

Plus you get to post pictures of yourself on boards like these and feel like a movie star!

Even if you look as dumb as I do.... ;)

The_Raiders

Joosse said:
It's a Noel Howard LC shirt.

The ones with the scorpion I'm actually not wearing an Indy shirt but a regular safari shirt. Between you and me, if you wear an Indy shirt in Egypt, it's going to end up full of sweat much like Harrison Ford's shirt usually was...

Very SA I suppose... ;)

Noel Howard huh? I'm going to look into that, it looks better then Todd's. And I must agree, it is fun to go places dressed in character. I've let my hair grow and so I don'y quit look like a good Indy any more lol. And mt hair must be pretty thick because my hat is really tight now :(
But I've been to my school as indy and all around town, I don't recall one time being made fun of either. Surprisingly.

Joosse

The_Raiders said:
Noel Howard huh? I'm going to look into that, it looks better then Todd's.

Sadly enough he has passed away, so they are going to be harder to find nowadays... :(

The_Raiders said:
And I must agree, it is fun to go places dressed in character.

It is... :D

The_Raiders said:
I've let my hair grow and so I don'y quit look like a good Indy any more lol. And mt hair must be pretty thick because my hat is really tight now :(
But I've been to my school as indy and all around town, I don't recall one time being made fun of either. Surprisingly.

That must be becuase you are a pretty big guy then? ;)

Or maybe just have a bad memory?

The_Raiders

Joosse said:
Sadly enough he has passed away, so they are going to be harder to find nowadays... :(

It is... :D

That must be becuase you are a pretty big guy then? ;)

Or maybe just have a bad memory?

That's a disapointment, I really like the darker buttons, a quality I've been looking for in a good Indy shirt.

Lol nah I'm a skinny 17 yeard old kid with long hair, maybe I jsut have a big head :p Everyone at school knows me as Indiana Jones even though I havn't dressed as him this year.

Joosse

Your dissapointed?

How do you think Noel Howard himself feels?

My students refer to ma as Indiana Jones as well at times, it's a good nickname to have, I think.... :whip:

You go ahead and enjoy being 17. It's a great age to be at, and it's gone all too soon if you ask me...

The_Raiders

Joosse said:
Your dissapointed?

How do you think Noel Howard himself feels?

My students refer to ma as Indiana Jones as well at times, it's a good nickname to have, I think.... :whip:

You go ahead and enjoy being 17. It's a great age to be at, and it's gone all too soon if you ask me...

Ah I guess I could have worded that better :eek: I imagine he doesn't feel that well.

Haha I don't think it's a bad nickname to have, I always get alittle excited when I hear some one shouting that name down the hallway refering to me :D

I do enjoy being 17, I'll tell you one thing, alot of my friends pick on me about it, but I'm going to be a kid as long as I can get away with it. (y)

Montana Smith

The_Raiders said:
I do enjoy being 17, I'll tell you one thing, alot of my friends pick on me about it, but I'm going to be a kid as long as I can get away with it. (y)

I reckon you can get away with it forever. I decided never to grow up. That entitles me to collect toys!

The_Raiders

Haha, I'm going to try to get away with it as long as I can before mre adult-like responsabilities fall on me.

Joosse

All of a sudden I see visions of you in Raiders running away from the big stone in the Chachapoyan temple, only this time the stone is marked 'adult responsabilities'...

:D

Montana Smith

Keep running Raiders, don't ever get crushed by the persistently rolling boulder known as 'adult responsibilities'. After all, even Indy managed to avoid them until 1957!

Stoo

Bump

The recent mayhem in Cairo this month has compelled me to post these photos...

Taken from the riverside patio of a restaurant in the Maadi district (just south of Garden City). About 2 weeks ago, the restaurant was torched & burned down to the ground!:( A serene image...who knew that (in less than 2 years time) it would be the scene of such violent upheaval?

Cairo_02_Nile_48b.jpg

A westward shot of The Nile from downtown Cairo. Taken from the rooftop swimming pool at the Hilton World Trade Center which was looted 2 weeks ago.

Cairo_02_Nile_30.jpg

Stoo

*BUMP*

So, Goodeknight, how was your latest trip to Cairo?:confused: Did you notice any difference in people's attitude after their "Arab Spring"? (My girlfriend & I want to take a Nile trip down to Luxor before the tombs are closed off to the public forever.)

Most importantly, did you feast on some of that superbly delicious, Egyptian chicken?:D

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
*BUMP*

So, Goodeknight, how was your latest trip to Cairo?:confused: Did you notice any difference in people's attitude after their "Arab Spring"? (My girlfriend & I want to take a Nile trip down to Luxor before the tombs are closed off to the public forever.)

Most importantly, did you feast on some of that superbly delicious, Egyptian chicken?:D

It was a great trip, Stoo, though I wish I would have had 1) more time off to re-see the sites, and 2) my wife and son with me! She and I met in Cairo while studying abroad in 1991, then lived there again 1995-1997. Haven't been back since, so it was killing me to return without her. Perhaps on a future trip.

In talking to Egyptians about the revolution, the main thing I found was disappointment. Here's the gist of the sentiment: 'The people in Tahrir Square didn't want a revolution. We just wanted change. We wanted jobs, the chance to make a decent living, opportunities, etc. That eventually spiraled into a revolution. Now that Mubarak is gone and there is a new government -- everything is the same. Nothing has changed for us. We're still struggling.'

Overall, things seemed a little tense and uncertain. Not scary-tense, just stressed-out-tense. But it was odd to go past big government buildings gutted by fire, and to be at the Hilton, next door to a government building where a bunch of Coptic Christian protesters had been run over and killed by a military vehicle.

It was also odd to go to the Egyptian Museum and walk into the King Tut rooms without waiting in line. The museum was practically empty and there were hardly any tourists anywhere. I did take a moment to call home while I stood face to face with Tut's golden funerary mask. That was a highlight.

I did have some great chicken, and lots of shwarma and khufta and shish kebab. Bought some tea that I've missed for 15 years, and a huge Bedouin tent fabric. But I was disappointed to find out the Pyramids closed at 3 p.m. This was as close as I could get:

Cairopyramids1.jpg

(Incidentally, it was the only time during the trip I wore a fedora.)

Again, a great trip. I look forward to returning, hopefully in less than 15 years this time.

Stoo

Goodeknight said:
In talking to Egyptians about the revolution, the main thing I found was disappointment. Here's the gist of the sentiment: 'The people in Tahrir Square didn't want a revolution. We just wanted change. We wanted jobs, the chance to make a decent living, opportunities, etc. That eventually spiraled into a revolution. Now that Mubarak is gone and there is a new government -- everything is the same. Nothing has changed for us. We're still struggling.'

Overall, things seemed a little tense and uncertain. Not scary-tense, just stressed-out-tense. But it was odd to go past big government buildings gutted by fire, and to be at the Hilton, next door to a government building where a bunch of Coptic Christian protesters had been run over and killed by a military vehicle.

It was also odd to go to the Egyptian Museum and walk into the King Tut rooms without waiting in line. The museum was practically empty and there were hardly any tourists anywhere. I did take a moment to call home while I stood face to face with Tut's golden funerary mask. That was a highlight.
Belated thanks, Goodeknight, for your insightful commentary (good photo, too). My friend's Egyptian wife echoes the same thoughts as those you described. I can only imagine how weird your experience must have been last year...and now further upheaval is happening AGAIN (though not as violent). Egypt is a country in trouble, begging for stability. Let's hope it gets it.

Since a certain photo of mine is getting attention from friends on Facebook, I felt like sharing this with you fine folks:

EgyptCamel_01_zpsb331f40a.jpg

NEWS FLASH: It is possible for Indy-fans to visit Egypt...if they stop spending their hard-earned ca$h on going to Disney parks and buying toys! This can be achieved. Pool your money into the right place and you WILL get there!:whip:

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
Belated thanks, Goodeknight,

If you'd have waited another month, it could have been an even year between our two posts!

Stoo said:
I can only imagine how weird your experience must have been last year...and now further upheaval is happening AGAIN (though not as violent). Egypt is a country in trouble, begging for stability. Let's hope it gets it.

Without Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood, I think they have a better shot at stability and peace now. It was crazy to see news footage of protests in Cairo, as Egyptians carried signs with Obama Xed out and the words, "Stop Supporting Terrorists."

Stoo said:

Great pic! Very "Lawrence."

Stoo said:
NEWS FLASH: It is possible for Indy-fans to visit Egypt...if they stop spending their hard-earned ca$h on going to Disney parks and buying toys! This can be achieved. Pool your money into the right place and you WILL get there!:whip:

Funny! Yeah, while it's great to see cars and trucks from Indy movies, it's all the better to go to *real* places where adventure actually happens!

And here's another plug -- depending on your starting point, a trip to Egypt might cost less than a trip to Disney. If you don't have to stay at the Hilton, you can get around Egypt pretty cheaply.

(Stoo, I'll look for your reply here around June next year...) :hat: