The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Mrs_Fedora

I just returned from viewing ´Tomb of the Dragon Emperor´, and i don´t like to say it, but yes..... it´s bad.... (n)
Brendan Fraser is ok, John Hannah is ok, but what the h*ll is Maria Bello doing in this movie?? I always thought she was an ok actress, but oh my.. she is so d*mn annoying. Why couldn´t they just force Rachel Weisz to do this movie... just for one time sake..

Rhys135

Saw this yesterday, and it was one of the worst films I've ever seen at the cinema. The set-pieces were unwatchable and a mess, due to bad editing, the sgript was awfully bad (apart from 2 decent lines from John Hannah's character which were the only things that made me smile), Maria Bello made Evelyn seem as some posh pensioner, CGI was dated, many things in the film were pointless and the story sucked.

The traps at the beginning of the movie were felt very Indy, and the way Jet Li's character died should of had been the way Spalko died in KOTCS.

Snakes

Just saw it and I gotta say, I actually really liked it. It was completely ridiculous, but in a good way. And what do you expect from a movie called "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor"? It wasn't a great movie for sure, but it was so dang entertaining I can't say I disliked it or was disappointed. It was exactly what I expected it to be. Maria Bello was much better than I expected, and Luke Ford was alright as older Alex O'Connell (a bit annoying at times). But the ninja girl's acting was pretty awful, long exposition scenes were hurt by this. Anyone who goes to this movie expecting great acting is gonna be disappointed, but I don't think many people did. I thought the stunts, music, and art direction were all very well done.

AndyLGR

I went to see it yesterday and I enjoyed it. I wasnt excpecting anything any different to the other 2 movies, I went in there expecting action, monsters, a daft story and some humour. I got all that. Granted it isnt the best movie to be put to celluloid, but it was entertaining, and it ticked all the boxes that the previous Mummy films did, (for me anyway). I'm glad they didnt try to do anything to different than we are used to with these films.

Maria Bello was fine as Evelyn, although its difficult to see someone else in the role (it is a pet hate of mine when we we get no continuity with characters in movie franchises).

I get the feeling that maybe some people on here are slagging this film because they want to justify that KOTCS was better than this and they dont want to admit that Mummy 3 was enjoyable.

QBComics

Well, I went to saw it and you know what I got? A Mummy movie. It seemed pretty well, and some parts lagged on, but you expected it too. Not as much fun as Indy but, all the same :)

kongisking

Crusade>Raiders said:
^Well at least one guy liked it.

Hey! I did too! Go ahead, shoot me! Just 'cause I understand that the Mummy films are at heart adventure film spoofs doesn't mean I'm a retarded dumb**** with no idea of quality. I don't care what you guys think, but I genuinely enjoyed TODE for the most part (yes, some of Hannah's jokes fell flat...OH WELL!!!). I loved Jet Li's Er Shi Huangdi: an excellent villain with awesome powers. VERY COOL. And Michelle Yeoh was wonderful and heroic.

Luke Ford made for a plucky and amusing Alex, and Lin was, despit her pokemon-squeaky voice which GRINDED ON MY NERVES, quite a cute and likable heroine. I thought the Yeti's were very cool (didn't expect them to be good guys...SWEET!), and I love how Huangdi becomes King Ghidorah at a whim. Mad-Dog Maguire was a hoot, and the battle scenes and action (especially the Shanghai chase---ingenious and one of the most thrilling sequences in a movie ever) were awesome.

Maria Bello, I thought, was an inspired replacement despite the obviously fake and overdone accent (she needs more practice, and then she'll be fine in my book). The plot was wonderfully Indy-esque, the effects were impressively imaginative, and I ABSOLUTELY ****ING LOVE the bit where Evey has become an author and made books out of the first two movies! And the covers are like all 1930's pulp-Doc-Savage style! LOVE IT!!!

All in all, I truly loved the majority of this film. Hey, it has some flaws, but what movie doesn't? I mean, if I can love The Mummy Returns and The SCorpion King, then there is no way I shouldn't enjoy this film, which is no different. I'm a Mummy fan, and I'm PROUD of it!

BRING ON PERUVIAN MUMMIES AND IMMORTAL RICK O'CONNELL!!! I'll be there! I love these movies; they are so fun and funny and imaginative, and are not afraid to have a sense of humor. Great cheesy fun.

kongisking

"The Mummy: Rise of The Aztecs (2010) Is the current title for the next installment to the Mummy film series. It has been greenlit to go into production.

The Mummy: The Golden Eye of Sapphire (2013) Is the possible title for the fifth installment to the Mummy film series which may be made. Some characters may be written into this installment and there are rumors that Will Smith is written as the villain in this film."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mummy:_Tomb_of_the_Dragon_Emperor

I like these titles. Cool!

But Will Smith? Does this mean we will return to Africa in the next ones?

otto rahn

Saw this last week and enjoyed it. Yes we now know what to expect from a "Mummy" movie, and this one didn't hold any surprises, but it was still fun.

muttjones

i saw it and it is the worst movie i have ever seen. (n)

there are certain expectations of believability that the audience has when they enter the cinema.

But the girl calling the yetis from the snow with her yeti language just took it too far.

I was laughing at how bad it was so i actually enjoyed it.:p

DIrishB

kongisking said:
"The Mummy: Rise of The Aztecs (2010) Is the current title for the next installment to the Mummy film series. It has been greenlit to go into production.

The Mummy: The Golden Eye of Sapphire (2013) Is the possible title for the fifth installment to the Mummy film series which may be made. Some characters may be written into this installment and there are rumors that Will Smith is written as the villain in this film."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mummy:_Tomb_of_the_Dragon_Emperor

I like these titles. Cool!

But Will Smith? Does this mean we will return to Africa in the next ones?

Um...was that info in the Wiki link? I can't find it now. I honestly think someone just made that up, posted it on Wiki, and then someone else removed it. I don't doubt there will be sequels, since the third one was still a financial success (but critical failure), but I don't think thats what they'll be called.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found it with a web search. Still, I think its all rumors at this point. Especially the Will Smith thing...I don't think he'd be game for starring in a Mummy sequel...he's too A List for that.

Last edited:

kongisking

Raiders112390 said:
How do you guys feel this film was, compared to KOTCS?

Ugh, why did I have to sound so dorkishly juvenile the last time I posted in this thread? I promise, no more stupidity from me, you all have my word.

Anyways, I definitely think KOTCS was better, mostly because of Spielberg's magic touch and Ford's performance. Hell, it was just more respectable all around.

But yeah, I still think TOTDE is an underrated flick. Stephen Sommers' Mummy series is built on a foundation of silliness, so to expect anything more than goofy, over-the-top adventure shenanigans is just foolhardy. As it was, it was a guilty pleasure, certainly.

I guess it's safe to say this franchise is dead now. No word of any further sequels for a few years now. Sheesh. I was looking forward to Aztec mummies...

Oh, and Rachel Weisz's inevitable-no, required-return, ahem...

HJTHX1138

Raiders112390 said:
How do you guys feel this film was, compared to KOTCS?

KOTCS is alot like seeing a miracle compared to . . . this . . .

mummy3_yeti1.jpg

Just . . . whuh?

See, I always sort of expected the Mummy movies to stay in that weird little horror/adventure niche.

I was wrong, it seems to be an overblown History Channel Special.

It wasn't intimidating or scary, the meta humor made me want to eat my arms off . . . it was ungodly stupid and the action reminded of me of the G.I. Joe cartoon more than anything else . . . and using China in a Mummy movie is a BIG stretch, even though they spent the whole movie trying to justify it.

Montana Smith

HJTHX1138 said:

That's why I prefer TOTDE to KOTCS. Yeti would have been perfect for Indy, as well. Much less controversial than aliens because they're a traditional folklore element. Indy could have faced them in Nepal while looking for the bones of Abner.

The Mummy movies had nothing to live up to, unlike the Indy entries.

HJTHX1138

Montana Smith said:
That's why I prefer TOTDE to KOTCS. Yeti would have been perfect for Indy, as well. Much less controversial than aliens because they're a traditional folklore element. Indy could have faced them in Nepal while looking for the bones of Abner.

The Mummy movies had nothing to live up to, unlike the Indy entries.

To tell you the truth, seeing live yeti in an Indy movie would have really bothered me . . .

If they were dead or skeletons in a creepy temple in the mountains, that would have been interesting though.

Montana Smith

HJTHX1138 said:
To tell you the truth, seeing live yeti in an Indy movie would have really bothered me . . .

If they were dead or skeletons in a creepy temple in the mountains, that would have been interesting though.

Bones would have been good as well. Symbolic of the passing of folklore and the dawn of a modern age in which Indy is an anachronism.

HJTHX1138 said:
To tell you the truth, seeing live yeti in an Indy movie would have really bothered me . . .If they were dead or skeletons in a creepy temple in the mountains, that would have been interesting though.
Montana Smith said:
Bones would have been good as well. Symbolic of the passing of folklore and the dawn of a modern age in which Indy is an anachronism.

Nice.

Would be cool to see Indy do his Teddy Ballgame and go yard on someone's skull with a Four Foot Femur.

...as long as there's no bandolier slung over the corpse.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Nice.

Would be cool to see Indy do his Teddy Ballgame and go yard on someone's skull with a Four Foot Femur.

That's kinda what I had in mind when I thought of Indy as a married man:

MarriedWithChildren.png

Rocket Surgeon said:

StarWars-Tales19-48.jpg

JP Jones

Review

I'll start by saying, I've watched the previous 2 Mummy movies several times and I enjoy the heck out of both of them. They're fun, exciting, adventures. That being said, based on most of the reviews for the 3rd installment, I wasn't expecting the same for Tomb of the Dragon Emperor.

The good news is, That feeling of adventure is still well-intact with this film. The Chinese mummy stuff was done quite well, and it held my interest all the way through. The action also did an above average job of giving the film an old school adventure feel.

The problem is that there is too much that I really didn't enjoy. The script felt like a distant imitation of the previous 2, lacking real charm or fun, and the acting here is as below-par as it gets, even with a franchise that doesn't rely on it much at all.

While the film is the worst of the 3, due to it's fun deprived script and bad acting, it doesn't ruin the franchise for me. I had a good time watching it, it gets a 6.5/10 from me.