Did Sean Connery hate the KOTCS script?

Kernunnos

Sean Connery last year: "Would I come out of retirement for a fourth Indiana Jones movie? Are you mad? Of course I would!"

Sean Connery early this year: "It all depends on the script."

After reading the script: "I've decided that retirement is just too much fun."

oki9Sedo

Kernunnos said:
Sean Connery last year: "Would I come out of retirement for a fourth Indiana Jones movie? Are you mad? Of course I would!"

Unless anyone has met him personally any replies you get will just be speculation.

BadDates

Kernunnos said:

I was really surprised that Connery chose not to be in KotCS since I've read numerous quotes from him over the years saying that he'd love to reprise the role. In fact, a few years ago when I seriously started following IJ4 news/rumours online, he sounded like he was by far the most enthuastic potential participant in the project.

deckard24

I still have a feeling he's going to make a surprise cameo like he did in Robin Hood: Prince of Theives! I might be totally off but for some reason I think we are being mislead in a lot of directions regarding this film, and Spielberg is going to have quite a few surprises in store for everyone come May 2008!

We might live in a day and age when the internet blows any mystery or secrets regarding a film in production out of the water, but Spielberg is a crafty guy and he's gone to great lengths to keep things secret with his films. Of course they don't always work, but that doesn't mean he didn't try hard to keep them secret. For example Bruce the shark in Jaws was kept in a warehouse surrounded by armed guards to make sure no one got a sneak peek of him! Unfortunately some reporters got by and snapped off a few pics of him, but thankfully it did nothing to ruin the effect of his big debut an hour into the film.

Lastly two words come to mind, BLUE HARVEST!

sarah navarro

I dont think he didnt like the script,Connery has had some bad movie choices so lets not say hes the one to judge.Plus with all the great minds thinKing up Indy 4 theres no way it will be bad.

Except James Bond I love those movies.:)

Niteshade007

To me it doesn't bode well for the script if he would rather have League of Extraordinary Gentleman as his last film than this. Especially if his part wasn't that big. He wasn't even supposed to be in the actual adventure, meaning little, if any, actual action scenes. Sure, he has to be on set and there is the preparation, but how long could he possibly be shooting for? A couple weeks? It doesn't look good.

Unless, as deckard24 mentioned, it's a big cover and he does actually have a cameo in the film, but I REALLY doubt that would happen.

Niteshade007 said:
To me it doesn't bode well for the script if he would rather have League of Extraordinary Gentleman as his last film than this. Especially if his part wasn't that big. He wasn't even supposed to be in the actual adventure, meaning little, if any, actual action scenes. Sure, he has to be on set and there is the preparation, but how long could he possibly be shooting for? A couple weeks? It doesn't look good.

Unless, as deckard24 mentioned, it's a big cover and he does actually have a cameo in the film, but I REALLY doubt that would happen.

Agreed through and through... very worrisome.

BUT, I never wanted him to return to begin with so I'm glad he's not... still... as you said... League of Extraordinary Gentleman rather than Indy 4 as his last film strikes me as really odd and troublesome.

Michael24

Sean Connery (as much as I loved him in LAST CRUSADE) deciding not to be in the film does virtually nothing to change my opinion. Like he said, he's just finding retirement to be too much fun. Besides, I'd rather have him not be in the film at all than just making basically a cameo appearance, a reason I believe he initially was hesitant to do LAST CRUSADE because Henry's part was much smaller in earlier drafts.

And EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN was a very cool, very fun flick. Much worse films out there to have as the last one on your resume.

Jones Junkie

I'm not overly educated on this topic, but my guess goes to: no. I think he's enjoying his game of hard to get just a sliver too much. I mean, come on, maximum length of time he'd have to "come out of retirement" for? Mere days? There are some fans/general patrons who were really looking forward to the possibility of his return. I just don't see why he couldn't book a few days off and just do it.

commontone

I don't think it's as cut and dry as just taking a week off from golfing. Keep in mind, acting was his life, and he made what was probably a difficult decision to retire from that. Think of the psychological impact and transformation that kind of decision would have on your identity, after being an actor for decades and decades. He decided to say goodbye to that world, and enjoy the rest of his days in leisure.

My guess is, had the movie gotten going even a year or two earlier, he might have joined the cast. But after a few years of retirement, that mindset, the decision he made, would be pretty well set in stone.

Which is why I understand why he said to Lucas, "Look, I've done it, I've done it." He couldn't go home again, couldn't reverse that difficult decision, even for a week, as tempted as he might have been.

Niteshade007

ResidentAlien said:
Agreed through and through... very worrisome.

BUT, I never wanted him to return to begin with so I'm glad he's not... still... as you said... League of Extraordinary Gentleman rather than Indy 4 as his last film strikes me as really odd and troublesome.

Thanks. I also don't really care that he's not returning. I liked his character in Last Crusade, to me it's one of the films few saving graces, but I'm not upset at all at his not returning.

No Ticket

I think it would be more believable at Indy's new age if his dad had died. But ya know, whatever. I have gotten to where I can go either way and still be happy. Doesn't seem like we really NEED to see his dad again though... I mean, we didn't see him in the other two adventures and with all the rest of the family (Shia being his son and Marion is KIND OF family) .... I don't want it to just be one huge Indiana Jones family getaway.

Dr. Indy Jones

deckard24 said:
I still have a feeling he's going to make a surprise cameo like he did in Robin Hood: Prince of Theives! I might be totally off but for some reason I think we are being mislead in a lot of directions regarding this film, and Spielberg is going to have quite a few surprises in store for everyone come May 2008!

You know, I keep thinking the same thing. I really hope Spielberg does have a few surprise's in store. (Maybe in a scene that we don't see it coming and then *BANG* there's Henry Jones Sr. then everyone will be like WOO HOO.) Hey I can hope can't I ?

chapter11

Given that we now know from Lucas' TV Guide interview that Connery would have had a very small role in the film, I can see why he chose not to come out of retirement for it, regardless of whether or not it's a good script. Perhaps if the role had been of a similar scale to what he did in Crusade it would have been a different story.

Point is, the size of the role probably weighed heavier than the quality of the script itself in his decision-making process.

I think its more a question of ego. They offered him what was effectively a cameo role and he wanted more - despite the character being 85 in 1957. There was no way this could be changed and he wouldn´t go with it.

Remember, he was reluctant to do LC because they had him playing the doddery dad of a bloke only 12 years his junior - even though they easily looked 25 years apart at the time. The guy has an exceptionally large ego and wouldn´t go with playing a bit-part, even though he should have been grateful to have this as some kind of sign-off to a much-overrated career.

Don´t over-play his credibility - the guy´s an apparent dyed-in-the-wool Scottish Nationalist who has chosen to live anywhere but Scotland for 35 years or more. Go figure.

Niteshade007

You bring up a good point about a sign-off to his career. What's the challenge for an actor to play the same character for his final film, and have it be a cameo at that?