Genesis Deluge unedited vulgarity

LaoCheRules!

I have the f-bomb version. All of mine are the originals (including the Raiders and ToD novelizations) except for Delphi and I am missing the LC novel and Philosopher's Stone, Dino Eggs, and Secret of the Sphinx.

Luckily, my library system has them all and I have read all of the ones I am missing and none of the ones I have. Strange, huh.

Indy's Fist

Indiana Jones, like my Paternal Grandfather never, ever used the f**k word. That book should be officially banned from the Indy Jones Canon.

Tron7960

I recently acquired some of the Novels and was a little surprised by the profanity, but have to say that it doesn't strike me as out of character. It's not like he's a Sunday-school teacher, he's used to dealing with some pretty unsavory characters. He kills people. What's the occasional F-bomb.

Tron

MattJones

Tron7960 said:
I recently acquired some of the Novels and was a little surprised by the profanity, but have to say that it doesn't strike me as out of character. It's not like he's a Sunday-school teacher, he's used to dealing with some pretty unsavory characters. He kills people. What's the occasional F-bomb.

Tron

Any of you guys ever go to Sunday School?

xVendetta17x

True, people have to realize that Indy isn't exactly child friendly
It's meant for the teen- adult audience
That's part of the reason Lucas created the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, To appeal to a younger audience and to educate

Vance

Still, though, the F-Bomb isn't very 'pulpy' , themely, to the Indiana Jones character or franchise. I would have found it pretty jarring myself. And, generally, when I find that a writer relies on using that language, it's to artificially add 'edge' to a book that lacks it otherwise.

Granted, this is just a general statement. I haven't read this particular book. :)

Stoo

Violet Indy said:
But there's really no difference between them otherwise. Just that one sentence. He says "No good sadistic" before being drugged whereas, the original he says the word, after he is drugged. The rest of the novel is the same.
Curious because mine is a 1st edition print (Febraury 1992) and it's the edited version!:confused:

pg. 169
Hasan had already promised to kill him, but Indy had never suspected it would
be by an overdose of drugs. "You no good sadistic...."

"This is for the sultans of old." Hasan stabbed the needle into his forearm.

Moedred said:
Poor Martin Caiden. All he needed were a few F-bombs and he would have had... art! :)

Way to misconstrue the point.

The author/artist wrote something the way they did for a reason; it's their vision. You don't change their vision for your own selfish ends. Respect the vision or look elsewhere.

Adamwankenobi

MattJones said:
Any of you guys ever go to Sunday School?

I think the moment I stood up and said "If God created people, then who created God?", everyone realized I wasn't Sunday School material. :whip:

xVendetta17x said:
That's part of the reason Lucas created the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, To appeal to a younger audience and to educate

Except only part of it was made for a younger audience. A lot of the stuff with the older young Indy has a lot of violence and war politics. And then there's that Mata Hari episode... ;) It seems the show was both too adult for children and too childish for adults.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Adamwankenobi said:
I think the moment I stood up and said "If God created people, then who created God?", everyone realized I wasn't Sunday School material. :whip:

Except only part of it was made for a younger audience. A lot of the stuff with the older young Indy has a lot of violence and war politics. And then there's that Mata Hari episode... ;) It seems the show was both too adult for children and too childish for adults.

Don't get me started on that episode! ;) Whoops! Too late.

Seriously, I need to get a life....oh wait. I just need a boyfriend. :rolleyes:

DutchIndy

One of the most disturbing things is when Indy shoots a lot of Ozzie Aboriginals in one of the marvel comics. :D That truly shocked me.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'm desperate to get out and you're looking forward to getting in. But hey, don't say I didn't warn you. If you have any questions about Australian life, just ask. There are a lot of Canadians who live here so you won't be lonely. I wished that I had asked more simple questions about the States before I went for a holiday. How was I to know that they order by numbers at McDonald's? :confused:

And DutchIndy, it's "Aussie" not "Ozzie" if you're refering to Australia, and not Ozzie Osbourne. :p